X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

A few blockbusters I've seen so far...

Had a short window of opportunity to see a few movies in the past 10 days. Saw three of the "big" releases:

Alien: Covenant--If you liked Prometheus (I did) but wanted a bit more "Alien" in it (most people, it seems, though I was fine with it as it was), then you'll like the latest installment. Story is a bit paint by numbers, but the visuals are fantastic (as one expects from Ridley Scott--film quality varies a fair bit for Scott, but I've yet to see one that didn't look great). Fassbender should get special kudos for his dual performances. Best twinning since Dead Ringers, IMO. 7/10

Wonder Woman--Saw it with my 15 year old daughter. We loved it. Gal Gadot IS Wonder Woman. Sometimes, even if I enjoy a performance, I can imagine someone else in the part, either equally suited or better. Not this time. Gadot brings exactly the right balance of innocence, smarts, presence and dynamism to the part. Chris Pine is also excellent (if ever Indiana Jones is rebooted in the next decade--Pine would be perfect for the part of Jones). Editing could have been a bit tighter (5 mins. could have been trimmed to good effect). 9.5/10

Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2--Loved it. As it is not "new", it isn't quite as novel as the first one, but just about as satisfying. As with Wonder Woman, a 5 min. trim would have been good--in each case, I mean that in total, not as a single chunk--but otherwise, thoroughly enjoyable. Kurt Russell is perfectly cast in his role, Baby Groot is entertaining throughout, musical choices remain solid and the visuals are spectacular. Even has moments of character development not usually found in such popcorn fare. Another 9.5/10
Working...
😀
😂
🥰
😘
🤢
😎
😞
😡
👍
👎
Searching...Please wait.
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
There are no results that meet this criteria.
Search Result for "|||"