X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigburner
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

The Siege of Jadotville (2016)

This movie is based on a true event in 1961 when a United Nations contingent of 155 Irish Army soldiers was posted to the mining town of Jadotville in Central Africa to protect the local citizens. The Irish soldiers were attacked by a force of mercenaries, Belgian settlers, and local tribesmen numbering 3,000 to 5,000 men. The lightly-armed Irish soldiers resisted the assault for six days until they were eventually forced to surrender after their ammunition and supplies ran out. Not a single Irish soldier was killed but it is estimated that they killed up to 300 enemy soldiers. The Irish soldiers credited their leader Commandant Pat Quinlan for saving their lives as he was an excellent tactician and had insisted that they dig trenches as soon as they got to Jadotville. Afterwards the whole incident was covered up by the United Nations because they were embarrassed that they had placed the Irish soldiers in an impossible situation and failed to rescue them. When the Irish soldiers were eventually released from captivity and returned to Ireland their heroism was not acknowledged because of the perceived shame that they had surrendered. Fortunately their gallantry has since been acknowledged and numerous medals awarded.

I thought this was a good movie but not a great one. My main criticism is aimed at the action scenes which I’m guessing were designed to appeal primarily to American audiences. When I see Irish soldiers who are short on ammunition running around firing automatic weapons aimlessly from the hip then the credibility of the film is undermined somewhat. However I thought that Jamie Dornan (who plays Commandant Pat Quinlan) did a great job and I’m delighted that the bravery of the 155 Irish soldiers has finally been recognised on the silver screen.

Nigel.
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

V interesting story.

wiki LINK
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"