X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Patrick Sun
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

"We Were Soldiers" - a review

My One Word Review for "We Were Soldiers": Brutal.

Thank goodness director Randall Wallace didn't feel the need for going with that overdone blue filter and gave us some of the scariest war battle scenes shot in natural sunlight and darkness. There was a bit a slow-motion action shots, but nothing that was overused, and there are some incredible war re-creation of the battle in Vietnam.

Overall this was a pretty tight, albeit unflinching depiction of America's 1st military involvement in the Vietnam War, and it wasn't a pretty sight. The US wasn't as prepared, was short-handed, and was battling a country fighting for their own survival on their home turf. It was very difficult odds to say the least.

The characterizations were good for Lt. Col. Hal Moore (Mel Gibson) and his family (including Madeline Stowe as his wife), and the network of officer's wives gave the audience that emotional tie-in to the fates of the brave soldiers sent 12,000 miles away to fight a battle that no one wanted fought, but their country sent them, and they did the best they could given the politial climate and actual war theater locations and support.

As an American, you can't help be feel incredible anguish and sympathy when you see us engaged in war, and the terrible toll it takes not only on the soldiers, but their families (on both sides) as well. This was an unflinching look at what happened that first week in battle in Vietnam.

If you are one that can handle strong bloody war violence, and are interest in this sort of material, I recommend seeing it at the movie theaters for the sheer spectable of the war depicted on the screen.

I give this film a grade of A- or 3.5 stars.

PatCave; HT Pix;Gear;DIY Projects;DVDs; LDs
    PatCave; HT Pix;Gear;DIY Projects;DVDs; LDs
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Yeah, that's the thing about war, it usually is very brutal. So, a realistic portrayal will not be pretty. War sux, and maybe it's an atrocity that we make some people relive it at all. But I guess it's history, and history as they say, must be told. Maybe there's a chance if we relive it often enough we won't go back there soon. Well, not that exact circumstance anyway. As we have seen recently, there sometimes are very good reasons to go to war. Freedom is a fragile thing. Its as secure as we make it.

Thanks for the review Patrick, nice job.

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Excellent comment, Lex.

My Homepage!
      My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"