X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Minions (2015)

Very disappointing to have to post this. Big Minion fan from the Despicable Me movies, so I've been waiting for this one for a while, and took my 11 year old daughter to see it.

Such a letdown. In the Despicable Me movies, the minions had me at times laughing so hard I cried. (i.e. them singing the All-4-One song "And I Swear") The whole Minions movie, I think we only chuckled maybe 4 times, and the rest of the time the entire theater just sat there in silence, watching the (mediocre) story. Universal Studios clearly didn't bother to use their A-team to write this story. Given the subject of the Minions, this could have been an awesomely funny and zany film, up there with something like "Over the Hedge". Instead, it was just a cash-grabbing spinoff/prequel.

Not worth seeing in theaters, or IMHO even as a new release rental. Wait till this comes out on TV, or hits the regular rental shelves. I wavered between 2.5 and 3 stars, but in the end had to give it :25: out of :5: with the disappointment being the deciding factor.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

I can't say I'm surprised Chris. There's a big dumbing down happening now in these types of films. However, children are much less critical. I'm sure your daughter probably enjoyed it??
    Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

She thought it was ok, too, but wasn't too sure. Wasn't overly enthusiastic or anything.

I think there's still some very good family-friendly animated movies going on. I haven't seen it yet, but I hear the latest Pixar work "Inside Out" is very good. It's a massive 98% on the Tomatometer, whereas Minions is only 55%. The Lego Movie was one of the best works of the last couple years, IMHO. (they darn well better do a good job with Lego Movie 2 and 3)
      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• madmac
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2010

I really enjoyed the Lego movie myself! However, if history repeats itself, 2 and 3 will likely be worse. It almost certainly seems to work that way. The only exception for me was "The Terminator" series of films. I found Terminator II was a fantastic effort!
        Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

We certainly do still get some pretty good kids movies from time to time, really I think a lot of the problem with these movies is who's running them. Disney seems to be hit or miss anymore, and now that they own Pixar we can only expect the same things from them as we have since the buy out.

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

totally agree, Dougie. Exactly why I'm worried about Star Wars now too.
            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"