X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Sense8

Interesting show. Watching this right now.

This is a Netflix exclusive show, like Daredevil or House of Cards. What made me take a look is that it's made by the Wachowskis, makers of Bound, the Matrix trilogy, V for Vendetta, etc.

There are elements of the show similar to other sci-fi shows like Heroes. Essentially, 8 people scattered around the world start experiencing strange abilities with telepathically connecting with each other, sharing visions, then sharing abilities, then visiting each other in person.

So far, it's okay. Some would say that it's very slow, but it has an EXTREME amount of character development, getting you intimately familiar with the current life setting of each of the characters, even more than furthering the story. I actually very much appreciate character development, so this is probably the thing I like the most about the show so far.

A warning to those who may watch: the show has a VERY heavy presence of homoeroticism and transgender showing. As many probably know, one of the Wachowski "brothers", Larry, has become transgendered and now goes by Lana. One of the prime characters almost seems to be a personified incarnation of Lana Wachowski. This goes wayyyyyy beyond any allusions and is very overt. I'm rather surprised from the Wachowskis, not that they would include such issues (they've included them in previous works) but that they would be so heavy-handed about it this time, which I don't find in similar themes in their other works.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Oh, and the show's also made by the producer of Babylon 5. I never watched B5, but I know it was popular with sci-fi fans, and apparently that guy did a lot of character development in that show as well. This has got me interested to watch B5 now.
    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Hdale85
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

I just finished this up yesterday and I absolutely loved it, it definitely starts off a bit slow but as you said there is so much character development it's insane. By the end of the show I had an emotional connection to all the characters in the show so I think they did a good job on that part, further more the show has the amazing ability to be many different genre's tied up into one.

One more warning if you are squeamish about images of child birth....... you may want to close your eyes at a few parts. Other than that honestly this was a very good watch for me and I can't wait for season 2.

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Yeah, I went on a binge and finished it too. (and heck, now I'm close to finishing a binge through "Daredevil")

The explicit portions sure didn't get any more tame, I'll tell you that. And yes, that includes the multiple child births.

In addition to the character development, I think the thing I also liked the most about this show is a common theme in so many other Wachowski films--the beauty and value of life and the human spirit.

I have mixed feelings about this show, but will watch season 2 as well.
        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"