X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Unbroken low spoiler advance preview

Ok, Unbroken is not here YET. This is a book turned screen play turned movie, being directed by Angelina Jolie. I questioned her choice as director for such a violent movie in such rough wartime conditions. However, I am willing to be patient and see. I read the book this year, and it was a totally wonderful book. Painful to read at times, the story of Louis Zamperini (RIP) Louis died at 97 years old on July 2. The story of Mr. Zamperini, sad and real though it may be, was made for publishing. He went through so much during WWII, that if you are not aware of your story, and you enjoy stories of personal drama, you owe it to yourself to either wait on the movie, or get the book now, read it, and be ready for the movie to compare. I have read the book, so I will be measuring Angelina's directorship against the book, it should be interesting. There's one more WWII movie I read the book, I want to see, and that's Monuments Men.

Well, the movie hits theaters in December. So look for it then, and learn the story of Louis Zamperini, an American war hero tested like no other.

Doug
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Lex
    Ok, Unbroken is not here YET. This is a book turned screen play turned movie, being directed by Angelina Jolie. I questioned her choice as director for such a violent movie in such rough wartime conditions. However, I am willing to be patient and see. I read the book this year, and it was a totally wonderful book. Painful to read at times, the story of Louis Zamperini (RIP) Louis died at 97 years old on July 2. The story of Mr. Zamperini, sad and real though it may be, was made for publishing. He went through so much during WWII, that if you are not aware of your story, and you enjoy stories of personal drama, you owe it to yourself to either wait on the movie, or get the book now, read it, and be ready for the movie to compare. I have read the book, so I will be measuring Angelina's directorship against the book, it should be interesting. There's one more WWII movie I read the book, I want to see, and that's Monuments Men.

Well, the movie hits theaters in December. So look for it then, and learn the story of Louis Zamperini, an American war hero tested like no other.

Doug
    Doug, I seriously warn you to pass on Monuments Men. It was REALLY ,really bad and Clooney should not have directed it. 1 1/2 hours of my life I'll never get back!
    Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

Ok Dan, I will heed your advice and not buy it. I will wait for a free showing on TV at some point. :-) Then I can waste a little time and see. The book was slow at times, and interesting at times. no regret reading the book. It was interesting to learn about a lot of things that happened, and I have a natural fascination with the period. I feel it links me with my past, since my Dad did serve in WWII. He did not serve in combat. Fortunate for me, and for him, however he served an important function for the Army none the less. I am as proud of him as if he would have been the first to storm Normandy. :T
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Just saw Unbroken on BD. Dolby Atmos track was fantastic. Very crisp and clear. I'll say it again--if you haven't experienced a proper Atmos demonstration, even WITHOUT height channels, you're missing it. The sound is so precise.

Good movie. Interesting story with several chapters--aerial combat, extended water survival, POW camps, propaganda attempts. It may have been a bit drawn out. Jolie could have consolidated. but I didn't mind. I read one person complain that the POW camp commander was excessively shown to be a jerk, but I didn't really find it over the top. Not a perfect film, but I enjoyed it, and would suppose that it was very accurate of the POW story. I can say from my modern experience that the aerial combat was as accurate as I can know it to be.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"