X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • P-Dub
    Office Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Godzilla

A new take on an old classic, Godzilla (2014) came to screens in mid May. I recall with some fondness watching the old Godzilla movies on TV when I was young and actually enjoyed the reboot in the late 90's. I missed that one in the theaters and so wanted to see this one as there is nothing like seeing a big monster movie on the big screen.

My recommendation is to skip this version. Maybe rent it or borrow from the library when it comes out, there really shouldn't be that long of a wait.

The story starts out interestingly enough. You are lead down one path and think, hey so that's the origin story. Then you discover something else is happening.

Just in case somebody doesn't want the a major plot point spoiled, and it isn't about Godzilla, cause he's in the title.

The movie is about another monster species in the world and there are 2 located in different parts of the world. Conveniently there is a male and female and they need to get together, if you know what I mean. We follow them to San Francisco and I think we get ripped off on the big monster battles. We see some of the battles off of TV screens. I might as well been watching it on Youtube! Plus if they are going that way, where are all the idiots with cell phones? No real explanation is given to where Godzilla was for all this time. And why the heck did he waited until the end to use his fire breath?

You may have heard that Brian Cranston is in this movie, and he does a good job. I don't think they used him that well. Ken Watanabe is also wasted. Only given one sentence dialog and really, I don't know what good he did other than moving the plot along and getting Cranston's son into the remainder of the movie plot.

Why would you name a child Ford? I can see Ford as a last name, cause hey, Henry Ford, but as a first name? So you can see I had lost interest pretty much within the first 10 minutes and started picking at plot points and minor ones at that. Please forgive me Ford lovers.

A portion of this movie was filmed around my parts. Steveston's main street is substituting for a small Californian town and the docks subbing for a part of San Fran. There's a shot of the inside of BC Place and some parts of downtown Vancouver were used as well. So you can really tell this movie got me to pay attention.
    Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Why would you name a child Ford?

Perhaps a fan of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy? Ford Prefect is a pretty interesting and entertaining character. (other than that, I've got nuthin' :lol: )

Comment

• P-Dub
      Office Moderator
      • Aug 2000

Doh! That's right, totally forgot about that character. Maybe it was the writers that decided on the name. You know like I'll just put that name in for now and we'll change it later, but it never got changed.
      Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

Originally posted by Ovation
        Why would you name a child Ford?

Perhaps a fan of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy? Ford Prefect is a pretty interesting and entertaining character. (other than that, I've got nuthin' :lol: )
        perhaps you already had a kid named "Chevy". ROFL.
        Doug
        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"