X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Californication 2014

Is anyone else disappointed with the writing for Californication 2014? It's not even just Californication. I have felt all of Showtime writing has been less quality this year.

But this year, very little Karen, no Becka at all. Hank is but a watered down version of himself, and the whiney wimpy dude they got playing along with Hank, and that "set" boss? Horrible.

The one saving grace is the dental hygenist.

Even Charlie and his wife have had lackluster parts.

I hate to say it, but they may be trying to kill Californication with this season- Last year or two had been so good too, what a disappointment.

Thoughts from fans?
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • Dmantis
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jun 2004

I've watched every single season but this years and after reading your thought, I think I know why.
    Last season I thought was a bit forced and didn't have a good overall story. I was pretty disappointed.
    Honestly I loved this show the first 2 seasons, awesome story , excellent acting, great back grounds etc. But after that it's been going down hill.

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

Well, we differ in our thoughts of last season. Yeah, it was out there, but I still enjoyed it. Tim, that british comedian was a riot I thought. This year, it's been just so slow developing, and there's so little real storyline, it's like Meh. Well, we've always got those great first few seasons to watch. I'll buy the series when it's off. It's been a sour grape this year. There's a few episides left to see if they can redeem themselves. But I suspect it's not going to happen. Maybe they will read a few choice bad reviews this year and decide to put something into it next year, or maybe they kill it. We'll see.

Doug
      Doug

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

My suspicions were correct. Nobody gave a sh.. about this season, because at the last minute, Friday was when I heard it, it's announced tonight is the series finale. Maybe he got cancelled due to the poor writing this year, or maybe David Duchovney decided to walk away, I don't know. 7 seasons, and out.

I'd like to have seen this season be better, and finish on 8 to 10 seasons., not 7. Hank had it in him. I don't know what happened this year. Karen had a half a part this year, Becca a cameo in the last 2 episodes only. Totally disappointed.

tonight is the last Californication. Series finale. :-(
        Doug

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

I don't know, I didn't think this season was THAT bad certainly not the best of course but not so bad that I'm unhappy with the show.

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

as I re-watch it later, I may think differently. I think what I saw coming through was the attitudes that they were mentally already done. After googling, it was pre-announced that this was the last season of it, and I didn't know that.

I never had a reason to think it was the finale season. To me, it was still the best showtime show they had! All I knew was, it seemed to be a lot less story line than they have had in some years past. Also, the reduced role of Karen, and absence of Becca were contributing factors to me, because Hank was always there in the mix with them, and suddenly that triangle was missing 1 side, and barely connected the two remaining sides. To me, that was a big void.
            Doug

Comment

• Hdale85
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

I think the main problem of the show and the reason it likely was canceled, and the reason this season was changed up is because basically we've had the exact same story each season for all of the previous 6 seasons. Hank goes haver Karren, he almost gets her, in the end she decides no etc etc. It was nice to see some new characters this season that give new dimension to hanks life, his past, and also throws some new curve at him. His son obviously has some mental issues or something? Frankly if anything I'm a bit bummed that all these new faces were introduced and we only get to see them these few episodes and then the series is over?

Comment

• Lex
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Apr 2001

point taken, he was somewhat amusing at least. I was probably pretty hard on the new characters, just because I think the writing sucked this year. That's not really the characters fault. It could have been a good show for a few more years with good writing. But maybe David Duchovney was over it. Hard to say. I would say at about 6-7 years, a cast and the producers really have to want the show to go on, for it to be a continued success. Maybe they just didn't have that drive, or maybe they lost support of Showtime, hard to say.
                There's not a whole lot of 30 minute shows I really enjoy, this was my favorite, so I could have endured this year to get to another year or two that were good. But those are the breaks, we lost out on David Duchovney's brilliant acting. The back and forth was what really kept things interesting at times, and yes, it is a repetitive thing. But it was a thing that worked. That was part of his insanity, was that he couldn't hold together the one thing he really wanted, and neither could she.

Well, I'll buy the box set if it hits blu ray. It's been fun.
                Doug

Comment

• Hdale85
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2006

Yeah I haven't watched the last episode yet, and I too don't generally like a lot of 30 minute shows, honestly even this show I was left wanting more after an episode ended quite often just because it's hard to fit much content into 30 minutes.

Comment

• Lex
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Apr 2001

I thought it should have been an hour long show all along myself Dougie. They should have especially had a 1 hour concluding episode! 30 minutes did not really allow them time to do everything that they could have. Since you haven't watched it yet, I'll leave my comment at that. An hour could have been a lot better for a few reasons.
                    Doug

Comment

• Hdale85
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2006

Well just finished it, last episode certainly made it sad to see the show go. I was a bit surprised by some of it.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"