X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Despicable Me 2

I've been waiting for this one, since watching the first one and before a sequel was ever announced. My family and I especially love the minions.

This is definitely a worthy sequel, and in some ways (but not all) I like it more than the original. It does rely on some sequel principles, such as playing up the loveable sidekick (minions) and the adored main characters from the original, such as the girls. However, they are not used as a crutch to carry the entire movie. If anything, I think I would have actually liked even MORE minions. Heck, I think Universal could even do an entire Minion Movie if they did it right. I would have liked to have seen a stronger plot, though. It's not bad, but it's nowhere near the greats like "Toy Story 2", "Empire Strikes Back", etc.

The visuals were amazing. Not just good graphics technically, but the creators chose "camera" moves, and gave body movement and facial expressions to the characters that had rarely been achieved before. Graphic films like this are really growing and maturing, giving life to the characters. These are not just flat, simple cartoons anymore. I think the graphical creations in this one were even better than its contemporary colleague, Monsters University. I did watch the film in 3D, but don't feel that affects my comparison.

I was going to go with 3.5 stars, but the minions in the finale did a rendition of "I Swear" by All 4 One that had me CRYING I was laughing so hard. It wasn't just silly--the way the minion was acting, and the overall scene was so well done and ridiculous, it was hilarious. The movie finished strong, so I'm going to give it :4: out of :5:. Definitely a recommendation if you're looking for a fun trip to the movies, especially with the kids. (mine really liked it) If you wait for the rental, it's a no-brainer. It'll be a purchase for me beyond a doubt, too.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Chris D
    I've been waiting for this one, since watching the first one and before a sequel was ever announced. My family and I especially love the minions.

This is definitely a worthy sequel, and in some ways (but not all) I like it more than the original. It does rely on some sequel principles, such as playing up the loveable sidekick (minions) and the adored main characters from the original, such as the girls. However, they are not used as a crutch to carry the entire movie. If anything, I think I would have actually liked even MORE minions. Heck, I think Universal could even do an entire Minion Movie if they did it right. I would have liked to have seen a stronger plot, though. It's not bad, but it's nowhere near the greats like "Toy Story 2", "Empire Strikes Back", etc.

The visuals were amazing. Not just good graphics technically, but the creators chose "camera" moves, and gave body movement and facial expressions to the characters that had rarely been achieved before. Graphic films like this are really growing and maturing, giving life to the characters. These are not just flat, simple cartoons anymore. I think the graphical creations in this one were even better than its contemporary colleague, Monsters University. I did watch the film in 3D, but don't feel that affects my comparison.

I was going to go with 3.5 stars, but the minions in the finale did a rendition of "I Swear" by All 4 One that had me CRYING I was laughing so hard. It wasn't just silly--the way the minion was acting, and the overall scene was so well done and ridiculous, it was hilarious. The movie finished strong, so I'm going to give it :4: out of :5:. Definitely a recommendation if you're looking for a fun trip to the movies, especially with the kids. (mine really liked it) If you wait for the rental, it's a no-brainer. It'll be a purchase for me beyond a doubt, too.
    I saw a preview of this film at a movie theater and burst into laughter a number of times. This one will be a must see for me!.
    Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

I was just going to go back and re-emphasize the importance of the point that I thought the graphical creations in this movie in some ways surpassed Monsters University, that just came out last month. That means that Universal did a better job than Pixar. Rather significant.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"