X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Ender's Game coming to film

They darn well better do this one right. Orson Scott Card's masterpiece (and I DON'T use that word lightly) is coming to the big screen, this November. Like many literary and sci-fi afficianados, Ender's Game is one of my all-time favorite books. And as I always say, while great works of film, music, or literature that are re-done or brought to a different medium have big potential from the original's greatness, they also instantly raises the bar super high. The new version has to hit a full home run just to succeed. Hitting a triple is a failure and lets down the original. Only hitting a single is a disaster and disgrace.

I actually read that this film will be combining the books "Ender's Game" and "Ender's Shadow". Very interesting. I won't give away any spoilers, but for those of us who have read the book, I wonder how (or if) they'll do the story of the movie so that we don't know the whole time what's about to happen. Could you adapt or change this masterpiece at all to make the story "fresh", without destroying the original greatness? I'm trying to remember--was this made as a TV movie many years ago? Oh, and the boy that will play Ender is apparently the same one that was "Hugo". Could be a good choice. Would have to be fairly particular.

I'm quite excited for this one. Unless it looks like it'll be crap, I'll be watching this one in the theater.

With trepidation.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

It seems Gavin Hood, (screenplay author & direcrtor) has some credo in Tsotsi (a film I personally found incredibly good & other than a couple of Ry Cooder’s, is the only movie soundtrack I have ever been compelled to purchase) & X-Men Origins – Wolverines (another well produced film IMHO), so hopefully this bodes well.

I have not read the Ender’s books, but know of them from others who have given high praise. Multiple books, an epic of sorts not too different in form from the original Star Wars episodes or maybe LOTR set in the future. Not that the story line is shared, but the ability of an epic tail to capture and enthrall a generation.

I am quick though possibly hasty to suspect an attempt to capture glory (read $) on the shirttails of ‘Hunger Games’, itself a generational hit of sorts that while popular, did little to inspire idealism in this crotchety old curmudgeon.
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Silver1omo
      • Sep 2010

Man, they better do it right. Game is a great book and Shadow is even better (IMHO). The later books get a bit too crazy (Children of the mind)...
      I don't think the story needs to be renewed/refreshed. As to maintain both story arcs without spilling the bean(s) (Pun intended), that will be difficult without making changes, specially to Bean's character.

Now I need to get the Marvel's graphic novels before the movie...
      Ivan.
      My Statement monitors

Comment

• impala454
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2007

My good buddy got me the book about 15 years ago and he loves it, and I always meant to read it but never did. I'll have to give it a read as it sounds right up my alley.
        -Chuck

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Never read either book, but am aware of them and their storyline. I'm thinking I may put off getting the books until after I see the film and then compare.
          My Homepage!

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

Oh my goodness, Chuck, knowing you, you NEED to read the book. For both you guys, I'd recommend reading the original book first before the movie. There's several crucial plot twists in the story that once you've been exposed to them, there's no going back. Of course, we have no idea what the movie will be like, but unless it's exceptional, it'll never compare to the book (like most movies of its kind) and you'll miss the full impact of the book reading it later on. I'd say you don't have to read "Ender's Shadow" before the movie, but others may disagree with me, and some even like it better than EG. Other sequels can wait as well. They take different story directions, and get pretty abstract. I really liked how deep they were though.
            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Silver1omo
              • Sep 2010

Yeah, they are really good, and as Chris says, there are a couple of twists/turns that need to be done right to be as shocking/important as they need to.
              The difficulty of integrating Game and Shadow is that they happen at the same time from the perspective of the 2 main characters (Ender and Bean). If you read Shadow first, you ruin Game...
              In any case, this is a great saga and I'm looking forward to the movie(s).
              At this point I'm reading another Orson S Card's saga, Alvin Maker.
              Ivan.
              My Statement monitors

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2001

Ehhh, well Game is at my local library so maybe I'll give it a read.
                My Homepage!

Comment

• Silver1omo
                  • Sep 2010

George, based on previous posts from you, you may find it hard. There is some degree of physical and psychological violence/abuse towards kids.
                  Not in the Hunger games level, but still present.
                  Ivan.
                  My Statement monitors

Comment

• Finleyville
                    • Sep 2006

One of the best books ever written. Period.

They better do this one RIGHT! Although I am afraid that with them combining the two books into one movie they will be ruining Game. We shall see.
                    BE ALERT! The world needs more lerts.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Silver1omo
                      George, based on previous posts from you, you may find it hard. There is some degree of physical and psychological violence/abuse towards kids.
                      Not in the Hunger games level, but still present.
                      Thanks for the heads up, Ivan. I'll have to think about that.
                      My Homepage!

Comment

• maclick
                        • Dec 2011

Ender's Game coming to film

Wow I hope it's good. I've read all the books many times. I always wished to see it on film.
                        Last edited by maclick; 09 June 2013, 13:40 Sunday.
                        Rotel RSX 1055

Comment

• Silver1omo
                          • Sep 2010

I just watched the trailer:

I'm not liking what I see there.
                          Ivan.
                          My Statement monitors

Comment

• impala454
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Oct 2007

Saw the trailer during Star Trek. Looks good but will still want to read the book first. Ivan, what reservations do you have about the trailer?
                            -Chuck

Comment

• Chris D
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Dec 2000

I'm liking what I see so far. I do hope they don't just turn it into an action movie, and they keep the Orson Scott Card depth that he put into it. Silver, I'm also interested in your thoughts.
                              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Silver1omo
                                • Sep 2010

I know is a teaser, so they need to tease, I hope it does not end being to much into the action. And lets see what they do with Petra.
                                I will watch the movie, that is sure. I just hope they don't butcher the story...
                                Ivan.
                                My Statement monitors

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"