• Show
Clear All
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

The Hobbit

Surprised no one else has started one!

The Hobbit 3 Officially Announced

So it looks like the rumours and speculation were true, and there will be a third Hobbit movie. Check out Peter Jackson’s official statement, which just hit facebook.

It is only at the end of a shoot that you finally get the chance to sit down and have a look at the film you have made. Recently Fran, Phil and I did just this when we watched for the first time an early cut of the first movie - and a large chunk of the second. We were really pleased with the way the story was coming together, in particular, the strength of the characters and the cast who have brought them to life. All of which gave rise to a simple question: do we take this chance to tell more of the tale? And the answer from our perspective as the filmmakers, and as fans, was an unreserved ‘yes.'

We know how much of the story of Bilbo Baggins, the Wizard Gandalf, the Dwarves of Erebor, the rise of the Necromancer, and the Battle of Dol Guldur will remain untold if we do not take this chance. The richness of the story of The Hobbit, as well as some of the related material in the appendices of The Lord of the Rings, allows us to tell the full story of the adventures of Bilbo Baggins and the part he played in the sometimes dangerous, but at all times exciting, history of Middle-earth.

So, without further ado and on behalf of New Line Cinema, Warner Bros. Pictures, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, Wingnut Films, and the entire cast and crew of “The Hobbit” films, I’d like to announce that two films will become three.

It has been an unexpected journey indeed, and in the words of Professor Tolkien himself, "a tale that grew in the telling."

Cheers,

Peter J

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey hits screens worldwide on December 14, 2012, while The Hobbit: There and Back Again arrives December 13, 2013. And while there's no news as to when Jackson will shoot part three, we’re guessing it'll hit December 2014.
    [YOUTUBE]nOGsB9dORBg[/YOUTUBE]
    Jason
  • technodanvan
    • Nov 2009

Wow.

Well here's hoping that they kept the look and feel of the LOTR movies for all three. Looking forward to them!
    - Danny

Comment

• impala454
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2007

I'm already in love with the soundtrack, so good!
      -Chuck

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

I'm pretty sure this was discussed here way back when Jackson announced plans to make The Hobbit. Regardless, I am really looking forward to seeing it. I don't think anyone will be disappointed.
        My Homepage!

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

Wait, they're breaking up the Hobbit into THREE parts? Sheesh...
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

• Ovation
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2004

Well, they are also including material beyond The Hobbit (backstory stuff available with some editions of LOTR books, as well as other books by Tolkien).

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Chris D
              Wait, they're breaking up the Hobbit into THREE parts? Sheesh...
              Oooh, didn't know that.
              My Homepage!

Comment

• M.Roberts8
                • Jan 2006

Very much looking forward to the Hobbit!

Comment

• impala454
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Ovation
                  Well, they are also including material beyond The Hobbit (backstory stuff available with some editions of LOTR books, as well as other books by Tolkien).
                  Which "other books by Tolkien"? I never read the Hobbit and just started the other day. I wouldn't mind reading the other books that the movies will source from to get all the background info.
                  -Chuck

Comment

• Ovation
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Sep 2004

I'm not a Tolkien expert by any means (I've only ever read the three LOTR books) but I've read about other books that go more deeply into time periods between the original forging of the ring and its destruction. The Wiki page on Tolkien is probably the best place to start as it will have many links to other sites as well as a decent summary of Tolkien's material.

Comment

• impala454
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Oct 2007

Found a pretty good description here, wow it looks like there's a lot of stuff
                      -Chuck

Comment

• Silver1omo
                        • Sep 2010

I have read The Silmarillion and The children of Hurin. Both are really good.
                        The Silmarillion is Tolkien's holy book, of sorts... and it explains the origin and meaning of a lot of things and characters.

The children of Hurin's character are more "human", I mean full of defects :P

I read them all in Spanish and want to read LOTR in English I actually got the 50th anniversary edition http://www.tolkienlibrary.com/reviews/nowavailable.htm

Getting back to The Hobbit...

I will watch it anyway...
                        Ivan.
                        My Statement monitors

Comment

• Chris D
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Dec 2000

Looking forward to Hobbit Part 1 of 3 here in a few weeks.
                          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• impala454
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Oct 2007

Reposting this from the other thread...

I'm stoked to watch this one. Organized a large group to go to the first showing around here on Thursday Dec 13th midnight. I haven't been to an opening night first showing since Star Wars Episode I.

We did a little research on the best way to view it, since there's so much newfangled technology behind it. My buddy found this, which shows the list of theaters all over the world which conform to the standards Peter Jackson wants for us to see the movie in.

His intention apparently was for people to see it in High Frame Rate (HFR) 3D IMAX, with Dolby Atmos, and according to that list, there's only four theaters in the entire world that have that. Two in LA, one in Miami, and one in San Antonio. And also only 30 theaters worldwide that even have Atmos. The theater we're going to is a Cinemark "XD" theater and is HFR 3D, but a very nice theater with comfy seats and such. Can't wait!

Anyone else going to see this??
                            -Chuck

Comment

• Hdale85
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jan 2006

I'm anxious to watch it but will likely wait for blu-ray. We have the worst theaters out here, always out of focus, and horrible sound.

Comment

• impala454
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Oct 2007

Tonight's the big night, can't wait! Will report back tomorrow.
                                -Chuck

Comment

• impala454
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Oct 2007

So I thought it was pretty awesome. They really did add stuff that wasn't in the book. Great movie, the 48fps was weird at first but after getting used to it it was pretty sweet. I'd love to watch a football game in 48fps. 3d was better Han most I'd seen but still just an every now and thn "ooh ahh".
                                  -Chuck

Comment

• impala454
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Oct 2007

So I thought it was pretty awesome. They really did add stuff that wasn't in the book. Great movie, the 48fps was weird at first but after getting used to it it was pretty sweet. I'd love to watch a football game in 48fps. 3d was better than most I'd seen but still just an every now and thn "ooh ahh".

If anyone wants to know where the cutoff was in the story, I'll put it in a spoiler tag. I was really curious how they're splitting up the book into three movies. I'm still curious but can provide insight if anyone is hinging watching it in the theater on that.
                                    Last edited by impala454; 14 December 2012, 13:47 Friday.
                                    -Chuck

Comment

• Chris D
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Dec 2000

Huh... hadn't heard about it being 48 fps. Did that make the motion better? Look fake, like a lot of motion processors, or higher refresh rates?
                                      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• impala454
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Oct 2007

It was really strange at first but once you got used to it, it was pretty awesome. It really made the CG pop.
                                        -Chuck

Comment

• Ovation
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Sep 2004

Haven't seen it yet but just about every review I've read has a strong reaction to it (mostly negative, though I'll judge for myself). So far, no one seems indifferent to it.

Comment

• impala454
                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                            • Oct 2007

Although I said it was awesome, I just say that meaning I enjoyed the movie. I think the negative reactions come mostly from the additions that weren't in the original book, and probably the fact that they split it up into parts. My only diss on it was the fighting got a little cartoony at times (which was a bit odd though because it was also fairly gruesome a few times too). But cartoony fighting was the theme throughout a lot of the LOTR series of movies.
                                            -Chuck

Comment

• Ovation
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Sep 2004

I was referring to negative reactions to the 48fps picture quality, not the story itself. While not as widely acclaimed as the LOTR trilogy, The Hobbit is getting decent reviews for the most part.

Comment

• impala454
                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                • Oct 2007

Ah, gotcha. Yeah the 48 was definitely strange, especially in the opening scene. We almost thought there was a major issue w/the projection equipment. The characters were moving around on the screen all fast, almost like an old film from the 1930s. I will say it definitely looked great though once you got used to it. It's not the interpolated effect or whatever that some newer TVs attempt to calculate.
                                                -Chuck

Comment

• Silver1omo
                                                  • Sep 2010

I watched it on the weekend. Not bad, but not great.
                                                  As you mentioned the movement was "funny", specially in the sledge chase, and the sound quality of the theater was crappy.
                                                  Over all I enjoyed it and I'm reading the book again... Now in English.
                                                  Ivan.
                                                  My Statement monitors

Comment

• Chris D
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Dec 2000

Watched it in the local theater last night. They must not have had full tech in that theater, or for my showing at least, as it was in 3D, but didn't look different from other content. (I even stuck my head in "Life of Pi" in 3D in the next theater, and didn't look different as a presentation) So I don't think I saw it in 48 fps. I'm still curious.

I liked it. Put on film what I remember reading over and over, decades ago in the book. And the film makers have gotten better at several of the effects elements they put in these films, like prostheses for non-human characters, and creating the height difference for short characters like hobbits and dwarves when in the same scene as the wizards or elves. CGI Gollum this time was AMAZING, and had a VERY real pathos. I thought Bilbo's actor did great, and was surprised to see Frodo in the beginning.

The biggest complaint I had is just like others, that Jackson split this up into THREE movies. As a film afficianado, do I appreciate that this allows Jackson to put in a lot more story and detail, to be more true to the book? YES, ABSOLUTELY! But for the LOTR Trilogy, he didn't do this--each of the roughly comparably sized books in that trilogy only got ONE movie each.

Chiefly, this means that the pacing of this first Hobbit film is WAYYYYY off of the LOTR films. (so much so, that non-film buffs may even get bored at first) I looked down at my watch, and the opening "gathering of the adventure party" scene at Bilbo's house ended ONE HOUR after the movie's start time. So if you factor in 15-20 minutes of the usual previews I sat through, that means it was about 45 minutes into the film before they even left Bilbo's house. Sheesh... I really hope the other two movies don't feel as drawn out as they should have even more action than this first one.

A reluctant :4: out of :5:, pending the rest of the films.

Oh, and I'm obligated to post this, which to this day still makes my :wtf: meter go into overdrive:

[youtube]AGF5ROpjRAU[/youtube]
                                                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• aud19
                                                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                      • Aug 2003

Finally watched it Saturday night. I do agree the pacing at the start of the movie likely could have been hurried a touch but otherwise found it to be more of the usual excellent production, story, effects, visuals etc that we've come to expect from Jackson's vision of Tolkien's masterpieces.

I'd give it a solid 4.5 out 5.

No great surprise here. Go buy it...unless you're waiting for the eventual trilogy special edition (or maybe 6-part including the LOTR?) :lol:
                                                      Jason

Comment

• Chris D
                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Dec 2000

Yeah, that's me, Jason. Knowing that there's at least 2 more coming, I won't be making a purchase until at least all 3 Hobbits are available. Who knows... maybe they'll then go on to do the Silmarillion, so I can then go on to buy the true exhaustive LOTR package on some 4k media by then.
                                                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• aud19
                                                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                          • Aug 2003

By then you may be in your holodeck completely submerged in the film :lol:
                                                          Jason

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                            • Jan 2006

Yeah I thought it was fantastic, it's a bit slow at the beginning but they were setting up the story. I love the detail in these movies though.

Comment

• Chris D
                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                              • Dec 2000

Mmmmmmmm.... sitting in my holodeck getting attention lavished on me by Dr. Crusher. Mmmmmmm....
                                                              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                                                              😀
                                                              😂
                                                              🥰
                                                              😘
                                                              🤢
                                                              😎
                                                              😞
                                                              😡
                                                              👍
                                                              👎
                                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                              Search Result for "|||"