X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • M.Roberts8
    • Jan 2006

Prometheus

Saw this yesterday in IMAX 3D. It was a "digital" Imax I was really impressed with the sound but the 3D I didn't feel was any different than the "RealD 3D" presentations that I have seen.

As for the movie itself I liked it though going into it I had already pretty much figured out 90% of the film. Nice to see Ridley Scott doing sci-fi again though.

Double spoiler alert, spoiler inside of the spoiler
    It is a Alien prequel of sorts which I'm sure you figured out if you were paying attention during the Prometheus has landed trailer.
    My Take:
    I took it as this planet was possibly a military installation that was developing a biological weapon of sorts. Which seems to be like a super evolving bacteria of sorts that adopts properties of its "host" like the worms evolve into weird snake thing, sperm/fetus into monster squid like thing Finally it adopts a hybrid humanoid form like Alien Beta version .
    Earth was there testing ground as in the "Engineers" created life on earth with the sole purpose of weapons testing. Except that the ships never got there. The one that made it off the planet crashed on LV-426 to be discovered in "Alien & again in Aliens".
    It still has some different directions it can go from here though. He could further explain how the ship got to LV-426. Or he could follow the lead character's journey at the end of Prometheus. I would like an explanation of the "Engineers" actions at the opening of the film though. :huh:
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Wow, never seen a DOUBLE spoiler before. Is that like "double secret probation"? Now I gotta see this movie, just to find out what's worth a double spoiler.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• P-Dub
      Office Moderator
      • Aug 2000

I got a chance to see this on Friday and here is my thought on the opening scene.

Since there was no life on the host planet, Earth, they needed a live subject to ingest the goo. So one was chosen, or volunteered, to be the genesis of all living things.
      Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• M.Roberts8
        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Paul Wu
        I got a chance to see this on Friday and here is my thought on the opening scene.

Since there was no life on the host planet, Earth, they needed a live subject to ingest the goo. So one was chosen, or volunteered, to be the genesis of all living things.
        That is what a co-worker & I came up with today too, we had both watched it over the weekend. Though they don't really make it clear that its earth at least not that I remember

Comment

• M.Roberts8
          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Chris D
          Wow, never seen a DOUBLE spoiler before. Is that like "double secret probation"? Now I gotta see this movie, just to find out what's worth a double spoiler.
          Double Secret Probation :rofl:

Well not really the first spoiler is more or less pretty obvious if you watched the trailer closely. The overall plot is laid out in the trailer. The other spoiler actually gives some small details of things not actually seen in the trailer. Nothing real earth shattering or anything. Just didn't want to ruin it for anyone.

Comment

• P-Dub
            Office Moderator
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by M.Roberts8
            That is what a co-worker & I came up with today too, we had both watched it over the weekend. Though they don't really make it clear that its earth at least not that I remember
            The only thing that was a clue for me was the spaceship took off without him, then he took the goo, which I figured wasn't going to turn out well for him. I figure this plus all the trailer stuff about going to find the makers, pretty much meant that somebody created the human race.

I'm going to tag this one as well, I had been wondering about this, the scientists discover the celestial drawings from other cultures pointing to another race visiting earth. They do the fancy overlay and all the points line up. So were these points supposed to indicate a celestial body? or were they representations of the original space ships? If they were the star system, wouldn't it have all moved from the original position?
            Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• M.Roberts8
              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Paul Wu
              The only thing that was a clue for me was the spaceship took off without him, then he took the goo, which I figured wasn't going to turn out well for him. I figure this plus all the trailer stuff about going to find the makers, pretty much meant that somebody created the human race.

I'm going to tag this one as well, I had been wondering about this, the scientists discover the celestial drawings from other cultures pointing to another race visiting earth. They do the fancy overlay and all the points line up. So were these points supposed to indicate a celestial body? or were they representations of the original space ships? If they were the star system, wouldn't it have all moved from the original position?
              I took it as a constellation of sorts that's how they were able to locate it. They mention there was only one that had a similar planet to earth and it happened to have its own sun.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2001

This thread reads like some kind of censored govrnment document.
                My Homepage!

Comment

• Chris D
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Dec 2000

Just saw it. Didn't like it. Too much like Aliens to be an original work. But several story conflicts with Aliens to be a true pre-quel or a real part of the Alien storyline. I mean, really? Scott makes another android that gets ripped apart, but still functions and his head talks to the survivors? I think that's been done before

I just didn't find the plot and characters fully flushed out to completion. I give :2: out of :5:
                  Last edited by Chris D; 16 October 2012, 06:12 Tuesday.
                  CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                  - Pleasantville

Comment

• bigburner
                    Super Senior Member
                    • May 2005

I watched it last night. It lacks originality (95% Alien, 5% 2001: A Space Odyssey).

As a scientific mission it was unrealistic. Many of the characters were implausible, although I really enjoyed the robot that Chris mentioned (Michael Fassbender).

I give this film three stars out of five. It would have been two stars except for the two extra half-stars. The first half-star is awarded to Weta Digital for the visual effects. The second is because I'll probably go back and see if any parts of the hairbrained plot have merit.

I still enjoyed it.

Nigel.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2001

I bought this because I'm a sucker for Ridley Scott films, both good and bad. I agree with most of the comments here, though I found it more enjoyable by not looking at it as an Alien prequel. Great visuals and sound, but you really need at least a 7 foot wide screen to appreciate them.
                      I'll watch it again a few times down the road.
                      My Homepage!

Comment

• bigburner
                        Super Senior Member
                        • May 2005

Now that I’ve had a chance to reflect on it I give this film one star.

I had only just watched it when I posted my review and I didn’t want to appear too curmudgeonly, hence the three stars... and I wanted to be generous to Ridley Scott… and Weta Digital is a New Zealand company... and as I mentioned earlier I did actually quite enjoy it. It was acceptable fodder for a well exercised brain after a busy day at work.

I waited months and months for this film to be available on DVD. I’m really disappointed in it. "Prometheus" caters for an audience that does not want or appreciate anything slightly intelligent. I loved the original "Alien". It is a minor masterpiece. This film does not deserve to be its prequel.

Nigel.

Comment

• audioqueso
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Nov 2004

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
                          ...though I found it more enjoyable by not looking at it as an Alien prequel.
                          I have to agree with that comment.
                          First, I didn't want to watch this with Alien in mind because I know that no one has made a recent sequel/prequel that has been on par with a movie from 10+ years ago (with the exception of Toy Story 3). So I just watched it for what it was, a sci-fi movie.

And just as a sci-fi movie, I thought Ridley Scott did great. The movie was far from linear (as too many sci-fi movies are now in days). There were parts of the movie that left you wondering if that was a hole in the script, or if he deliberately left parts unanswered to keep the viewer wondering. .. because after all, it is a sci-fi movie, so you can't really prove anything.

The last scene could have been cheesy, but throughout the movie, it build to that point. Showing other examples. Showing the effects of that foreign lifeform. I thought they could have ended it with just the stomach scene, and it still would have made sense to everyone... and THEN people would connect it to the original Alien movie.

Again, I choose to watch it as just a movie on its own. And on its own, I think it was a great sci-fi story and movie.

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
                          Great visuals and sound, but you really need at least a 7 foot wide screen to appreciate them.
                          I'll watch it again a few times down the road.
                          I bet! There was a lot of gorgeous scenes, but I watched it on a little 32" tv. I can't wait to watch it on a bigger screen later.

Here is an interesting website about the movie.
                          Actually, skip the article and just read the comment from a view called ChuckRock. He makes a very good point.
                          By now many people have had the chance to make their mind up about Prometheus. They have also had all those questions answered that were posed by the trailers and the marketing, the main question being: how does the film connect to the rest of the Alien franchise?
                          B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• bigburner
                            Super Senior Member
                            • May 2005

How can you overlook the fact that many of the cast behave like they have been rounded up at a downtown bar and told they should pretend they're scientists and engineers?

I still enjoyed it. I haven't changed my mind about that. It's just a matter of how much better it could have been.

I do wonder how much pressure Ridley Scott was under to produce a mass market success. It can't be easy taking a risk by being innovative in these recessionary times.

Nigel.

Comment

• audioqueso
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by bigburner
                              How can you overlook the fact that many of the cast behave like they have been rounded up at a downtown bar and told they should pretend they're scientists and engineers?
                              Nigel.
                              ...because that is exactly how we act.
                              My regular company revolves around engineers, government officials, and scientist... and that's as casual as it gets when out in a remote field (not another planet though :B). I'm not sure if you're expecting a different type of behavior, or if I'm missing your point.
                              B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"