X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • M.Roberts8
    • Jan 2006

Safe House

Just watched this one yesterday. I thought it was pretty good some shaky camera which IMO is getting a little ridiculous. There was a scene that actually made me jump! Which hasn't happened to me in a long time. I thought the sound design was excellent.
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

I am looking forward to this when it comes to video. But I'm with you on that shaky camera thing. Enough is enough already.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• M.Roberts8
      • Jan 2006

Day one buy for me on blu-ray. Ryan Reynolds did a good job of not being Van Wilder which is a plus. I think he can be really good if he can get a handle on that. Denzel was good as well. I would've thought there would be more interest in this one.

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Reynolds really has done a great job with his physique, so he also does action very well. Still a funny man, but there is that other side to him as well.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• Ovation
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

It's easier for comic actors (in general) to do "straight" roles than the reverse--comedy done well is harder than drama (as I've had pointed out to me over the years by many a stage actor and theatre professor).

Comment

• M.Roberts8
            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Chris D
            Reynolds really has done a great job with his physique, so he also does action very well. Still a funny man, but there is that other side to him as well.
            Like in Amityville he had some pretty aggressive and dark moments. In Green Lantern he was too much Van Wilder, I just couldn't take him seriously at all even for a comic book movie.

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

Yeah. He was pretty buff in Blade II, though.
              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
              - Pleasantville

Comment

• madmac
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2010

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
                I am looking forward to this when it comes to video. But I'm with you on that shaky camera thing. Enough is enough already.
                I HATE the shaky camera trend and also the 'dirty' camera additions to concert videos... (ie..Diana Krall live in Paris / Dixie chicks at the Kodak theater). Shaky, hand held camera is annoying period!. Dirty camera is ridiculous in today's Hi Def world. Why would someone want to see a dirty, grainy video of a concert video??. If I wanted that, I would have held on to my VHS machine right???!!!! :roll:
                Dan Madden :T

Comment

• P-Dub
                  Office Moderator
                  • Aug 2000

Saw this on the weekend. I quite like it. I agree, way too much shaky camera and the added grain. Why?

Chris - RR was in Blade III
                  Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• Ovation
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Sep 2004

Saw this last night. Decently entertaining but not groundbreaking. Figured out the villain with little difficulty. Denzel was good, as usual. I had no complaints about Reynold's performance.

The graininess is primarily a stylistic choice. However I think it also suggests (I'm speculating here) that the movie was shot on a digital hi-def camera rather than on film--the graininess seemed more video than film-like to me. It may also have been exaggerated by digital projection (where I saw it, the projector was digital, not film). Shaky cam is entirely a stylistic choice (doesn't matter if it's film or video in that case). I know why shaky cam is used (or at least I know the reason most often given for its use--to make the audience feel the kind of chaos and disjointedness that individuals would feel if they were participating in the action) and it doesn't really bother me on a film by film basis--but I could do with a little less of it overall. Like all trends, though, its popularity will fade and be replaced with something else.

Comment

• madmac
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Ovation
                      It's easier for comic actors (in general) to do "straight" roles than the reverse--comedy done well is harder than drama (as I've had pointed out to me over the years by many a stage actor and theatre professor).

Steve Martin is a good example of that !! :T
                      Dan Madden :T

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"