X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Inception

So I saw a preview ad of this movie, I can't remember where or when. But it really looks interesting. Elements like the Matrix, very metaphysical, and I hear it's a psychological thriller as well. Getting some good marks, 84% on the Rotten Tomatometer so far, and I found it VERY interesting that Roger Ebert gave it a perfect 4 out of 4 stars!
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I started out thinking it was going to be all special effects and no substance, but it seems that isn't the case. So now I'm getting interested. Just call me fickle.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

This will be a winner.
      My Homepage!

Comment

• JeremyG
        • Sep 2008

Saw it last night. Much better than the wife and I expected. Very entertaining for the whole 2.5 hours. Kind of like "The Matrix" meets "Memento" with some darker undertones. I recommend it. You do have to pay attention, though, or you may get left behind.

Jeremy

Comment

• june
          • Feb 2005

jeremyg

+1
          June
          "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

Looks like it did a really big boxoffice weekend.
            Last edited by George Bellefontaine; 19 July 2010, 14:04 Monday.
            My Homepage!

Comment

• P-Dub
              Office Moderator
              • Aug 2000

The first trailer really didn't appeal to me, but having seen the new trailer and some of the buzz, I'm looking forward to watching this one.

I can't quite think of it, but I recall back in the 80's there was a movie about a guy that could go into peoples dreams....Ah IMDB.... it was Dreamscape I quite enjoyed that movie back in the day.
              Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• David Meek
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Paul Wu
                I can't quite think of it, but I recall back in the 80's there was a movie about a guy that could go into peoples dreams....Ah IMDB.... it was Dreamscape I quite enjoyed that movie back in the day.
                That one's been floating around on some of the premium channels on Dish lately. I remember it being kind of fun in a campy way.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2001

Originally posted by David Meek
                  That one's been floating around on some of the premium channels on Dish lately. I remember it being kind of fun in a campy way.
                  Yeah. Dreamscape has sort of a cult audience out there. It came on the scene from HBO in 1998 and stars a very young Dennis Quaid. I have it on dvd and probably watched it 3 or 4 times now. The idea was quite original at the time.
                  My Homepage!

Comment

• Gump
                    • Sep 2005

Dr. Jekyll Review:

This is an entertaining movie that is loaded with shoot em up/car chase type action and yet also seeks to keep your brain involved with a fast paced plot that forces you to pay attention or risk being left behind. The central concept of the movie has been explored before in other movies and television shows, but this story takes it to a completely different level. There is also an intriguing sub-plot involved that increases the tension as you are hurled towards the climax.
                    The acting is excellent and the central character played by Leonardo De Caprio anchors the story and convinces you that the whole idea is indeed plausible. It is dramatic to watch his character become conflicted over trying to do a job professionally and yet have so much at stake personally that it risks the safety of his team members. Contrary to some post-Titanic bashers, I like De Caprio and think he is an excellent actor. "Man in the Iron Mask" is still one of my favorite movies and highly recommended.

For what it's worth, my kids' 16 year old babysitter loves this movie and watched it twice (not with me (: ). She mentioned that it is hugely popular with her peers also.

The computer generated graphics and effects are second to none and are stunningly realistic. Very cool.

Grade: A-

Mr. Hyde Review:

In a nutshell this movie is simply too long. They took an interesting concept (although not completely new) and took it waaay too far. They should have whittled it down to a sub-2 hour time limit and it would have been much easier to endure. You simply have to pay too close attention to all the minute details to stay up with the plot and also be willing to suspend reason and logic to swallow the concept they're expecting you to buy into. At the 2 hour mark my synapses were begging for a break. My head was starting to hurt...not my idea of fun at the movies.

Also, I really have a short tolerance for movies that have to "explain" what is going on in the action so that the audience can "get it". This movie is full of tutorials that have the actors explaining things to each other (really you) that are happening so that you will buy into the far fetched occurrences. Example: "It can't be done. It's never been done before!". "Yes it can, and here's why/how.". A little bit of that goes a long way with me and this entire movie is full of it. The screenplay and action should be enough to make the audience understand the concept if the story is strong and, of course, plausible.

Here's the entire movie for you in 15 seconds: "Is it real or is it a dream?". "Is it really real or is it a dream within a dream?". "Is it really, REALLY, real or is it a dream within a dream within a dream?".
                    There you go, I just saved you 2 1/2 hours of your life. You can thank me later.

My suggestion is to watch the Matrix, eat a bad bowl of chili and then go straight to bed. You'll get about the same experience out of it. :E

Grade: C+

Post script: Thought this might be an entertaining method of showing the strong and weak points in this movie. Just having fun with it------don't get too worked up over it, please!

Comment

• bigburner
                      Super Senior Member
                      • May 2005

1. My son, who spends a lot of time watching movies (when he should be studying), rates this as the best film he has ever seen.

2. I read this on another forum:

We shot the film with a mixture of mostly the predominant bulk of the film is anamorphic 35mm, which is the best quality sort of practical format to shoot on by far. We shot key sequences on 65mm, 5 perf not 15 perf, and we shot VistaVision on certain other sequences. So we’ve got a negative – a set of negative – that’s of the highest possible quality except IMAX. We didn’t feel that we were going to be able to shoot in IMAX because of the size of the cameras because this film given that it deals with a potentially surreal area, the nature of dreams and so forth, I wanted it to be as realistic as possible. Not be bound by the scale of those IMAX cameras, even though I love the format dearly. So we went to the next best thing which was 65mm. So we have the highest quality image of any film that’s being made and that allows us to reformat the film for any distribution form that we’d like to put it in. We’re definitely going to do an IMAX release. We’re excited about doing that and using our original negative 65mm photography to maximize the effect of that release. 3D I think is an interesting development in movies or the resurgence of 3D. It’s something we’re looking at and watching. There are certain limitations of shooting in 3D. You have to shoot on video, which I’m not a fan of. I like shooting on film. And so then you’re looking at post-conversion processes which are moving forward in very exciting ways. So really, for me, production of a large scale film is all about recording the best, highest quality image possible so that you can then put it in any theatre in the best way possible. And 65mm film, IMAX film, VistaVision, 35mm, that’s the way you do that.

Nigel.

Comment

• Chris D
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Dec 2000

I just watched this last night. I.... can't decide if I like it or not. It's certainly not a BAD movie. I just can't decide if it's an exceptional movie, or an average movie that pretends to be exceptional. I think the answer lies in the symbolism and meaning inserted into the movie. I don't know if I just didn't grasp some hidden deeper meaning of the movie, which it hints does exist, or if the prevalent meaning really is all there is. Is it really just the idea that dreams can exist within dreams? (note: this isn't all that revolutionary--several pieces of literature/media have hinted at the same idea, including the Matrix, which hinted at the idea of a Matrix within a Matrix) Or is there more? Are there psychological studies of the mind and dreams that I wouldn't know about until I start researching it to understand the movie more? Or is what you see, really what you get? Sadly, I fear the movie really does show its "complexity" too readily.

So I'm actually very much in line with Gump's "Jekyll vs Hyde" analogy. I liked it fine, but I can't decide if I just like it, or if I admire it as a fine piece of work.

For now I'm going to give it :35: out of :5:. I need to watch it again for more comprehension and a more thorough analysis.
                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• audioqueso
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Chris D
                          I just can't decide if it's an exceptional movie, or an average movie that pretends to be exceptional.
                          That's funny! ha ha

Just watched it last night myself.
                          From the beginning, it started off like the Matrix.
                          The movie was long!!! I didn't expect it to be almost 3 hours. The first half took a bit too long, but the second half was awesome!
                          As I watched the movie, I too wondered if I liked this movie (mainly because the first half was so long). But as all the piece started coming together, I was thinking to myself "this is a great story!" And it really was. Whoever wrote this story has some great imagination! It wasn't like just saying a dream in a dream. They made it connect to each other in a way that made sense. It was a complicated movie. You really had to pay attention. But overall I found it to be a great piece!

I say :4:
                          :T

...and Marion Cotillard is so hot!
                          B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Alloroc
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Dec 2005

Just back from the cinema. I'm still thinking about it. It certainly was cerebral. I like that in a movie. I've got to think a little more on it though before I can offer a sensible opinion. Don't get me wrong - I enjoyed it.
                            I just need to figure out if it's bubblegum.
                            Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• Chris D
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Dec 2000

Same here.
                              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Alloroc
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Dec 2005

Ok. I've got it straight in my mind now. It's not bubblegum. It's a very, very good movie. Brilliant actually. With that all said, it seems to me that the movie is being touted - by the media in fairness - as some sort of complex, brain thumping puzzle. It's not of course. I found it very easy to follow. But then, these sorts of movies work for me.

Sure, there are many layers to it and once you get past the dream within a dream all is well. It's all part of the 'leap of faith' Nolan asks of you when setting up the premise of dream sharing. It is science fiction after all. If you can accept the concept of flying around in an X-Wing a long, long time ago.... well.... you see where I'm going with that.

So, to boil it all down, it's a heist caper! A bloody good one too. More Ocean's 11 meets Memento than anything else (without the gags of course).

After that, apply Occam's razor and you'll all be happy!

Now, if you really want your head screwed with..... watch the movie "Primer".

Then we'll talk!!!
                                Vincent.

Comment

• krips
                                  • Sep 2007

I really enjoyed the movie. I think that the dream within a dream within a dream (hoth area) was a little drawn out. Really neat though. And it had the hott juno chick so thats a plus.
                                  Sharp LC-42D64U
                                  TriTrix MTM (Sealed)

Comment

• David Meek
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by krips
                                    (hoth area)
                                    The ice planet from The Empire Strikes Back???? :

Comment

• Gump
                                      • Sep 2005

I watched "Shutter Island" last night, which also stars De Caprio in a role that finds him searching for the "truth" in surprising places.

If you enjoyed Inception you should also check this movie out. Although there's less shooting/car chase action and it is a bit more on the somber side, it's a pretty good psychological thriller.

I'm not going to give it a full review because after spending the day in the new pool with the kids (110 degrees here) I am a bit lacking in pith. Nonetheless, I found it more believable and easier to buy into than Inception so it gets a half a grade bump.

Grade: B-

Comment

• krips
                                        • Sep 2007

Originally posted by David Meek
                                        The ice planet from The Empire Strikes Back???? :
                                        Indeed.
                                        Sharp LC-42D64U
                                        TriTrix MTM (Sealed)

Comment

• Alloroc
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Dec 2005

This is great....

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                                          Vincent.

Comment

• audioqueso
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Nov 2004

Just watched it again. Yeah, this movie rocks!
                                            B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

Working...
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"