X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

R.I.P. Roger Ebert

Sad news today that Roger Ebert died today of cancer at the age of 70 just one day after celebrating 46 years as a film critic. He and rival movie critic Gene Siskal (who died in 1999) made film commentary popular on a series of TV shows on which they appeared together including "At the Movies", and Roger came up with the phrase "Two Thumbs Up" which over the years transcended their original use of it as a movie rating to become part of the language to express approval for just about anything. While I did not agree with everything he wrote, (allthough more times than not, he was spot on with his cinematic evaluations whether it was lavish praise for exceptionally well done movie making or withering criticism for something inept or crude), I always found his writing interesting and entertaining, and will miss his weekly musings.

What you DON'T say may be held against you...
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

I too find that this is an epic moment in the history of film, and as A/V lovers, all of us should take a moment to reflect. Has there been ANYONE that has compared in film history to Roger Ebert as a film critic, and bridging the gap between the Hollywood film makers and the consuming public? I can think of some good ones over the years, and Gene Siskel is the first to come to mind, but I don't think anyone reaches Roger's stature and accomplishments.

Like Burke, I find myself agreeing with Roger maybe 90% of the time or more, and in a subjective world of opinionated media criticism, that's rare! I've enjoyed his books, ALWAYS listened to his director's commentary on the rare occasions he did one for a DVD, read several of his books, and even went out and rented films that he specifically recommended, to find what it was in the film a man such as him appreciated so much. More often than not, I immediately found a new gem in this way, and sometimes gained a new appreciation for a work or genre by hearing out Roger's perspective.

As a big film afficianado myself, I often find myself using Siskel and Ebert's descriptions, or have their rating criteria pop into my head while trying to rate a movie. (i.e. Gene Siskel's question, "would this movie be more interesting than watching the same actors sitting around a table having lunch?")

RIP, Roger. You had a big impact on an industry, the arts, generations of people, and certainly myself.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

I've always taken critics with a grain of salt, all but Roger Ebert. Like Chris and Burke, I rarely disagreed with any of his reviews and had a great deal of respect for him, even when I disagreed. The guy had it tough these past few years, but he stuck with his work, and he loved the woman who was his inspiration. She was always there behind him. RIP, Roger.
      My Homepage!

Comment

• Ovation
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

I became quite familiar with Ebert's reviews while in grad school (my thesis was on cinematic history and my research included a large dose of film criticism). I was, of course, familiar with his work before then, but in a casual way. I came to appreciate a number of aspects of his reviews--the way he judged films against their ambitions (rather than the oh so tedious "if it ain't Kurosawa it's crap" approach of many others I had to wade through); his writing style; his willingness to praise or skewer the same actor, director, screenwriter…based on the work being evaluated (generally, no one got a "pass" based on reputation alone); his sheer enthusiasm for the medium of film…

I did not always agree with his reviews (my disagreements were almost always about things he disliked that I enjoyed--but it was rare when I did not enjoy a film that he praised), but there is no other critic (dead or alive) I've read whose views more closely match my own about film. I can certainly make my own way through the cinematic world without someone to hold my hand, but I am saddened at the loss of a reliable guide to my cinematic enjoyment.

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

Just as an example, here's 5 movies that Roger liked, and 5 he hated. Just seeing this list makes me want to watch the ones I haven't seen, (even the ones he hated) just to see what about them that he loved or hated.

I just rented Argo tonight, although I already wanted to see it. And I laugh that Roger apparently "hated" Armageddon. While it wasn't a great movie, it fell into my category of "guilty pleasures".
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

I've only seen two of his worst, Deuce Bigelow and Armageddon. Like Chris, Armageddon is also a guilty pleasure. As for Bigelow, I couldn't agree more with Roger. Those others ? Well none look like something I'd like.
            My Homepage!

Comment

• Ovation
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2004

'Mad Dog Time' is the first movie I have seen that does not improve on the sight of a blank screen viewed for the same length of time.

That made me laugh quite a bit. Think I'll trust Roger on this one and skip it. I have enough other films to watch.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"