X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alloroc
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2005

Kick Ass

Saw this today and boy is it fun. One of the better, cleverer superhero movies I've seen. Plot is good, humour good too. Action is fantastic along with some wonderfully graphic yet cartoon violence. Not one for the kiddies.

4.5/5 from me.
    Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Great! This looked like one that I'd enjoy seeing.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• numberoneoppa
      • Sep 2009

I don't think I'm going to theaters for this one, but I'll definitely see it once it hits BRD.
      -Josh

That feeling when things are finally going right. Yeah, that one.

Comment

• Industrial
        • Mar 2009

I was laughing when I saw the tv ad for it. I thought it was a kid movie then I see "rated R" hahah.

Comment

• june
          • Feb 2005

alloroc,

+1
          the wife loved it also
          June
          "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"

Comment

• NoDestiny
            • Jan 2009

The best movie I have seen this year, easily. The previews really lead you believe this movie is going to go a specific direction, but it really is more complex and intense! Loved it.

Comment

• M.Roberts8
              • Jan 2006

Saw it opening week and loved it! Definitely not for kids but I'm looking forward to adding this one to my Blu-ray collection.

Comment

• AwArEnEsS
                • Nov 2009

Definitely I won't watch that movie.Violence,strong language,humiliation are not my things,even it's name is a humiliation for me.The movies which I can watch are polite movies hehe.While I was watching "The Departed" at a cinema,I had to leave the movie cause of strong language and violence.
                The universe arises from definitionless awareness.

Comment

• Chris D
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Dec 2000

Watched this last night from Netflix. Loved some aspects of it, like the comic book adaptation, most action, DEFINITELY the soundtrack, and especially the basic idea of an average boy deciding that he wants to become a superhero. Great premise--not a super-person being super, but an average boy CHOOSING to better himself and become super. However, I was really turned off in parts by the graphic violence that was beyond gratuitous--way too much. Furthermore, the fact that it was coming from an 11 year-old girl just turned me off. Same thing with her swearing up a storm. Yes, parts of that twist worked, where that was of course unexpected, and the juxtaposition gave it an element of humor, like when there is a very old character in a movie that swears or says something in modern day slang. But at the very least, at times it was distasteful to me, and not even needed to make the movie work. Could have been dialed back with her character.

So, for the parts I loved, I wanted to give it 4.5 to 5 stars. For the parts that turned me off, I wanted to give it 1.5 stars. In the end, the total package averages out to a :3: out of :5: for me. I do wish I could have see it on my big screen with high-def surround sound, though.
                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Hdale85
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2006

Originally posted by AwArEnEsS
                    Definitely I won't watch that movie.Violence,strong language,humiliation are not my things,even it's name is a humiliation for me.The movies which I can watch are polite movies hehe.While I was watching "The Departed" at a cinema,I had to leave the movie cause of strong language and violence.

:huh:

Anyways I thought this was a rather clever movie as well. I was talking to my brother in law about it and he asked me weather it was supposed to be a comedy or what and I really wasn't sure how to answer? It was very good though and I pretty much agree with everything Lee said.

I can also agree with what you say Chris, it did seem to be taken a bit to far with the little girl but it really didn't bother me as much as it did you it seems. The only part that truly bothered me was at the beginning where her dad was training her and shot her, I really wasn't sure what in the hell was going on yet and would of been nice to know before hand that she was wearing armor.

Comment

• Gump
                      • Sep 2005

This movie does precisely what the title says it does. I enjoy action movies and was surprised at how well done this movie was in the realm of that genre.

Bluntly, I had absolutely no interest in seeing this movie until I read the reviews here recommending it. The "teenage nerd tries to be a Super Hero" theme just sounded a bit cheesy to me when I heard about it originally.

The main reason I'm writing this is for people who had similar feelings when they heard about the movie. Don't let it dissuade you. This movie is action packed with shooting scenes and like Chris said, mucho graphic violence.

I was a bit conflicted about the children involved violence as well, but thought that the story line explained how it had evolved well enough and didn't necessarily condone it.

If your an action movie fan you should definitely see it.

Grade: Strong B+

Comment

• numberoneoppa
                        • Sep 2009

Saw this on the Airplane on the way back from Korea. Awesome movie. The Cage makes it even better.

-Josh

That feeling when things are finally going right. Yeah, that one.

Comment

• Chris D
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Dec 2000

Wow, they showed that on an airplane? I wonder if it was highly edited.

Now, there have been a couple movies I've watched on the airlines' movie A/V system, where there have been some questionable scenes come up on the screen, either with skin (I don't remember how explicit) or language. Since the video systems are for individual now, I didn't have to worry about somebody else hearing what I was watching, but I got rather uncomfortable in the skin portions, that someone around me would see my screen and say/think, "what is he watching?!?" I guess I might also feel uncomfortable watching "Kick Ass" and if the graphic violence comes up on the screen.

Since I only watch movies from the airlines' systems that I haven't seen before, I never know if scenese like this are in the movie, of course. Are films no longer edited for airline use? Or at least be discretionary in what films they pick for the aircraft's A/V system that month? Wow... I'd be on edge if I flew with my kids.
                          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• audioqueso
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Nov 2004

Just watched it last night.
                            Yeah... I'm not sure if this is a comedy or not... but it was funny.
                            I know the little girl was a little uncomfortable to all, but honestly, I think she made the movie. The story and the characters' background was clever. But the girl had the whole "O-Ren Ishii" (Kill Bill) story going on.
                            Great stuff... good entertaining movie!
                            B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            😂
                            🥰
                            😘
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😞
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"