• Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

DareDud?

Daredevil's gloomy New York a little too realistic
    By BRUCE KIRKLAND -- Toronto Sun
    Even in an era when an explosion of comic-book superheroes is hitting the silver screen, Daredevil stands alone.

It is not just that the Daredevil character, created by Stan Lee at Marvel Comics in the 1960s, is a brooding loner, a man fraught with self-doubt over his avenging angel ways: "I'm the good guy," he tells himself as a forlorn mantra while perched gargoyle-like high on a Manhattan spire.

It is not just that the character, who has been blind since a childhood tragedy, is an unlikely superhero in any event because the abuse he endures fighting villains has left him bruised, battle-scarred and wracked with pain.

Instead, the bizarre thing about Daredevil the movie is that Daredevil the superhero -- played with stoic determination by Ben Affleck -- has to work his magic in such a gritty, grim, dark and intensely realistic cityscape. Only the uncanny special effects that allow Daredevil to "see" a face wet with rain or shrouded in smoke are truly fantastical.

Superman had his glossy Metropolis and surreal sites, including his doomed home planet of Krypton, in his 1978 movie. The highly stylized, retro-Forties look of Gotham City served Tim Burton's Batman to perfection in the 1989 movie. X-Men was hyper-real. In Spider-Man, the web-slinger got to soar through an exaggerated New York City that immediately allowed us to willingly suspend our disbelief.

I am less willing to fight the disbelief in Daredevil because this New York is simply New York: A big city with slick skyscrappers sitting cheek-to-jowl with the rat-infested warehouses, bars and back alleys where the crime lord's stooges do their dirty work. And that work includes rape, murder, extortion and other vile aspects of contemporary society.

No wonder Daredevil is so depressed. Even his own lair, a rooftop apartment, is gloomy. That said, Affleck is generally up to the task at hand, even with some dialogue that verges on cheap melodrama. He plays both the Daredevil and his alter ego, the selfless, crusading lawyer Matt Murdock, with an overriding intelligence that allows the metaphors built into all Marvel superheroes to emerge. In his case, he fights evil to atone for the sins of his father, a washed-up boxer (David Keith, seen in a flashback) who went to work for the brutish crimelord Kingpin (Michael Clarke Duncan).

The film, which was clumsily co-written and methodically directed by Mark Steven Johnson (Simon Birch), delves into Daredevil's comic origins but also goes its own way in telling the movie version of the story, not always to advantage.

EYE CANDY

The filmmakers do score a Bullseye, however, with a drooling, skin-headed, super-psycho Colin Farrell as that villain. He is the scenery-chewing, set-wrecking comic relief.

The eye candy and obligatory romantic interest is provided by foxy Jennifer Garner, who uses kickboxing skills honed on TV's Alias to advantage in the martial-arts fight scenes (although any of the flying babes in Crouching Tiger or the new Oscar-nominated Hero would wipe her off the screen in two seconds flat). Affleck, however, is a rank amateur and should have had a stunt double even as Murdock.

All of this leaves Daredevil as a mixed blessing.

• David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Andrew, this pretty much expresses the best of what I'm hearing about Daredevil. It's either getting mixed reviews or is being panned. I haven't come across one "I like it" review. I'll still go see it, but my expectations are lower now. . . .
    :tired:

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

well it does have ms. gartner in it so at least they well be something to google over even if the movie stinks 8)

Comment

• P-Dub
        Office Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Just saw this today. The best part of the movie was Jennifer Garner She is just da bomb.

Ben does an adequate job as Daredevil, but as much as he tries, I didn't think he really pulled it off. He's a great Mat Murdock, but he just doesn't have "it" to pull off Daredevil.

Colin Farrell is pretty over the top as Bullseye.

I'd rate this movie as better than the last Batman movie, but behind Xmen and Spiderman.

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
        Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• Jeff Aguilar
          • Jun 2001

I guess that I will go against the trend here.

I saw this movie on the other night and I really enjoyed it. I really liked how Stan Lee does his characters. I like the fact that not EVERYTHING goes right for DD. To me, it was refreshing to see some charater developement along with some great fight scenes. This is going to be a movie that I will be glad to buy when it comes out on DVD. I did not feel like I wasted my time or money on this film.

The other couple my wife and I saw the movie with had never heard of DD before. They enjoyed the movie but thought that Spiderman was better.

Jeff

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

went to see Jennifer Garner ...err DareDevil last night and it was better then I thought:boobies: :leghumper: Its not nearly as good as say Batman 1 or 2 or even X-Men but given that ben afflec was the lead I expected much worse. I'd give it a 3 out of 5...possibly a 3.5/5 given the dress then Jennifer wore to the party:8O:

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Finally got to see Daredevil the other night. I'd heard so much negativity I wasn't expecting much, and came away pleasantly surprised. Ben Affleck did a good job in the role, and yes Jennifer Garner is HOT!! Plus, she is convincing in her appearances as Electra - she's not Meryl Streep yet, but she's not bad. There a good bit of over-the-top in Colin Farrell's character and Michael Clarke Duncan makes a decent villain, too.

The FX on how Daredevil "sees" with his ultrasonic hearing is pretty cool. Most of the FX visuals are nicely done and don't make themselves obvious. Electra has one scene where she's working out that is pretty fantastic. My only real gripe with this film is that the fight scenes are very dark, VERY choppy and filmed in closeup most of the time. It makes it hard to follow what is happening and gave me the impression that maybe Mr. Affleck couldn't pull of a wider-shot extended fight sequence.

Sound was awesome! Constant use of surrounds, constant ambiance, deep bass, lot's of directional cueing. This DVD should be spectacular in your HT's! Dialog is clean and crisp - no complaints there.

All in all, I'd rate Daredevil :3: out of :5:.

P. S. Pr@, no kidding about that dress - woohoo! :boobies: :B

David - HTGuide flunky
              Our "Theater"
              Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Brandon B
                Super Senior Member
                • Jun 2001

I have no webspace to link a rather funny JPEG a friend did in regard to this film. Anyone want to sponsor a file to lampoon this flik.

BB

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"