X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blindamood
    • Sep 2003

"Life" series on Discovery HD

I'm currently watching the premier of the new documentary "Life," by the makers of the popular series Planet Earth. It's now showing on Discovery HD, and I see that it is available for presale on DVD/Blu-ray.

Wow, the wildlife picture quality is simply amazing! It's showing in 1080i, so I wonder how much better the blu-ray might be. Definitely a long way from Mutual of Omha's Wild Kingdom that many might remember from the good 'ole days.

Here's a brief intro from the Discovery site:

"The earth is home to more than 30 million different animals and plants – every single one in its own fight for survival. From the makers of PLANET EARTH and narrated by global media leader and philanthropist Oprah Winfrey, the epic television series LIFE is the definitive exploration of our planet’s living things and their spectacular, bizarre and fascinating behaviors."
    Brad
  • Glen B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jul 2004

I watched the first couple of episodes. I like what I saw but think Planet Earth and Blue Seas are better. IMHO Oprah is not the best choice of narrator. Her voice just does not work for me. Apparently, I'm not the only one who thinks so (see link below). I would have preferred Sigourney Weaver or one of the veteran male documentary narrators like, Joseph Campanella, David Keith, Dennis Haysbert, or Patrick Stewart.

Comment

• littlesaint
      • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Glen B
      I watched the first couple of episodes. I like what I saw but think Planet Earth and Blue Seas are better. IMHO Oprah is not the best choice of narrator. Her voice just does not work for me. Apparently, I'm not the only one who thinks so (see link below). I would have preferred Sigourney Weaver or one of the veteran male documentary narrators like, Joseph Campanella, David Keith, Dennis Haysbert, or Patrick Stewart.
      http://www.deseretnews.com/user/comm...han-voice.html
      The original production by the BBC is narrated by David Attenborough. The Discovery Channel re-narrated with Oprah. Planet Earth was the same. Attenborough did the original BBD production and DSC re-narrated with Weaver. There will be a US release of the BBC version on DVD/BD.
      Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• Alloroc
        Super Senior Member
        • Dec 2005

David Attenborough is a true legend over here and it's a real shame it's not broadcast with his voice over your way. His brother is Richard Attenborough btw.....

Attenborough is much more than a broadcaster - for me growing up he was not just the voice but the face of nature.

Although, it's entirely probable I'm telling you stuff you all already know.....!

V.
        Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• greenhorn
          • Feb 2007

Oprah doesn't work for me, watched it a bit and just couldn't get into it. Daughter was very disappointed. Understand there is or will be a region free DVD with David A narrating.

Just checked, it's will be region 1 and availible June 1 2010.

I'm going to wait and just get it (for my daughter) and watch it then.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"