X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mikey15
    • Jun 2008

Scanspeak Discovery

OK I was going to build the Khans but it looks like the XO might change so it becomes somewhat of another project. Well if it will have to be a project how about trying some new speakers. Has anyone heard the SS Discovery series. I love the Khan layout so I was thinking the same thing just with these drivers Scan-Speak 15W/8434G00 Discovery,Scan-speak 22W/8534G Discovery,Scan-Speak Discover R2604/8330 Double Magnet Ring Dome Tweeter. I will build them,but I need someone to design the XO as this will be my first project. Yes I can solder and build cabinets I just don't have the XO knowledge yet. Is anyone up for it. Also if you don't think these would be an upgrade to the Dayton RS drivers chime in and I will go back to the Khans. I don't know if just need the baffle and drivers shipped or a whole box for the design. I have just started to do basic modeling to see the size of the enclosure.
    Mike
  • Theresa
    • Jul 2010

I have the Rediscovery kit from Madisound just for my center speaker. I used a smaller cabinet with the port stuffed because its being used with subs. Its not set up yet but will be in a few days. Can't beat that midwoofer or the price. For $600 dollars a pair (add a few more hundred for cabinets) it is a nice deal that probably can't be matched at several times the price.

Comment

• cjd
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Dec 2004

I think the Discovery line may be one of those "better and worse" things - price point is similar, and without actually looking over data or specs in high detail, they seem nice. But the tweeter is, I believe, the old XT tweeter, which has distortion issues below 3k IIRC. So not necessarily recommended in this setup.

The folks I would trust to do crossover work want drivers and box. How they get them is a bigger question, but shipping isn't cheap. Sometimes you can find a local that knows how to measure. I've done some projects where I built boxes, usually work something out with the person wanting the design.

C
      diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• mikey15
        • Jun 2008

I figured that shipping a 100 lb box would be expensive. I wonder if there is anyone close to San Diego

Comment

• 1Michael
          • Sep 2006

Shipping a speaker is not cost effective. You are better off sticking with a finished design.
          Michael
          Chesapeake Va.

Comment

• cjd
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Dec 2004

FWIW, I will be getting some of the new RS150's (8ohm) for a project and running them through my MTM crossovers to see how much variance I see. I think I will try extending the baffle (pink foam to the rescue) to get "Khanspire" measurements and see how they drop in there as well, at least based on more than just data-sheets. I'll have to drop that to a minimum phase model though, and I hate doing that.

C
            diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"