X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alaric
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

George , help me out here!

I know I've mentioned this film here before , but I'm watching it now and I'm still convinced it's one of the best movies ever made. If you're old enough to remember the Cold War this is a great film. If you're not old enough to remember the Cold War , this film is a delightful boot in the butt. Oh! The movie? "One , Two , Three". One of Billy Wilder's greatest works.
    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
    Schiit Modi 3
    Marantz CD5005
    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Your post has brought back some pleasant memories, Lee. It's definitely one of the best Wilder films and probably one of the best comedies ever. I haven't seen it for several years so now I have to see if I can find it at Amazon. Cagney is terrific as the Coca Cola executive in West Berlin during the height of the cold war. In fact, I don't think he made another movie until Ragtime. Thanks for reminding me of this terrific film, Lee.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Alaric
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Jan 2006

My pleasure , George. I reached out to you because I was pretty sure you would know and appreciate that film. I got to see it again on MGMHD yesterday and laughed my tail off for the duration. Why can't Hollywierd come up with great stories like that again? Seems like remaking movies is the answer. From Titanic to The Taking Of Pelham 123 there seems to be a distinct lack of originality. In fact , a remake of The Thomas Crown Affair is on Bravo right now. *sigh*
      Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
      Marantz PM-KI Pearl
      Schiit Modi 3
      Marantz CD5005
      Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Alaric
        Why can't Hollywierd come up with great stories like that again?
        Yeah, it's sad. That's why I'm glad I have a huge collection of older movies from the 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, etc. I find myself going back to them again and again, just to remind myself that there really was a golden age of movie making.
        My Homepage!

Comment

• wkhanna
          Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

'One, Two, Three' is a true classic! And Cagney was the best. Dance, sing, light comedy to heavy (Top of World, Ma!!!) drama, there wasn’t a thing he didn't overachieve at.

AFA Cold War era films, the good 'Dr Strangelove' still defines the genre for me. I can remember the first time I saw the movie in late 60’s, at around 10 yo I was watching with my parents and asked if that could really happen. My Dad said he was surprised it hadn’t already. Some things never change!
          _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
          ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

Strangelove's another good one, Bill. And you are so right about Cagney. I wish he had made more films in his older years. He was just getting started. One other favorite of mine is Love Me Or Leave Me where he starred opposite Doris Day. I've always felt it was an underated movie.
            My Homepage!

Comment

• Alaric
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
              Strangelove's another good one, Bill. And you are so right about Cagney. I wish he had made more films in his older years. He was just getting started. One other favorite of mine is Love Me Or Leave Me where he starred opposite Doris Day. I've always felt it was an underated movie.

Yes!
              Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
              Marantz PM-KI Pearl
              Schiit Modi 3
              Marantz CD5005
              Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"