X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

The Prisoner

AMC has been making a big to-do about their miniseries "The Prisoner". Apparently, it's a remake of what's called a "cult classic" of an old TV show from the 60's. This one is only 3 days, though, being Sunday, Monday, and today (Tuesday), each episode being 2 hours long. Stars Jim Caviezel and Sir Ian McKellan.

So far it's not bad, but a bit weird with some of the psychosis dream sequences that TV shows and movies like that have. (think of a low-grade "Serpent and the Rainbow" dream or such)

Not excellent, but not bad.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • bigburner
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

I used to watch that old 60s show with Patrick McGoohan back in the 60s. It was innovative and unique then.

Nigel.

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Ehhhhh... watched the finale tonight. I don't want to give away any secrets, but there were definite elements that were revealed progressively in the show that were reminiscent of some modern day movie themes.

Overall, not great, but not bad. DVD's of it come out in March. Might be worth a rental, but not a purchase for me.
      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Alloroc
        Super Senior Member
        • Dec 2005

Does it have the killer balloons?! I hate those killer balloons...

Love the original. Probably ages before the new one makes it over here.
        Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

Yeah... I really didn't get those killer balloons.
          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Burke Strickland
            • Sep 2001

I hate those killer balloons...
            I'm sure the residents of the village hated them too. At least those who tried to leave. As I recall, the balloons were a restraining device to prevent escape, not really "killer" balloons. Else how could the lead character keep showing up in later episodes after being returned via balloon to the village from numerous escape attempts ?

BTW, it has been reported that the late Patrick McGoohan, who starred in the original "The Prisoner" as Number 6, believed in the series enough that he turned down the role of James Bond in Dr. No (which didn't exactly hurt Sean Connery's career) to be able to keep working on it.

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

I watched some of the original episodes as my parents followed it, but I guess I wasn't quite old enough to get involved with it. I remember the balloons quite well though. The thought of those things gave me the creeps for years.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"