X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Race Car Driver
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Gran Torino

Soo... Ive heard nothing but good things...
    B&W
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

This is supposedly Clint Eastwood's last acting role and the word is that his performance is Oscar worthy. I'll want to own this but I do hope he will act again. Otherwise I will just have to be content with anything new he chooses to direct.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

George, that's correct. He's said that this is his acting swan song (unless something really plum comes along). I'm glad that it is such a worthy effort (or sounds like it at least).

Story Link

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Bob
        • Jul 2000

See it! First of all, it will surprise you in that it isn't really what you expect from the trailers. Second, you and the audience will find it is as much comedy as it is drama.
        Third, you will wish that it wasn't the last time that Clint acts. You will want more.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Bob
          See it! First of all, it will surprise you in that it isn't really what you expect from the trailers. Second, you and the audience will find it is as much comedy as it is drama.
          Third, you will wish that it wasn't the last time that Clint acts. You will want more.
          I can well believe everything you say about this film, Bob.
          My Homepage!

Comment

• impala454
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2007

Will wait for the blu-ray but definitely looking forward to it.
            -Chuck

Comment

• wkhanna
              Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

Wife & I saw it yesterday. First time I have been to a theater in over 4 years.

Either the projectionist was a fool or the film itself was damaged, as the quality of the pic was V poor. Brightness modulated from dark to light at frequency of ~ once per every ten seconds, and there were horizontal lines at both sides of the screen.

But it did not detract from one of best films I have seen in the past few years.
              You probably won't miss much by waiting to see this one at home, as it's not about being a cinemagraphic tour de force. It is about the characters, seeing people beyond their ethnic differences, and finding ways to end the vicious cycle of hate and violence that has so infected and crippled our society through the simple and selfless acts of compassion, empathy and ultimately, salvation.

Very powerful, funny (as we are forced to laugh at how ridiculous our own prejudices are) and truly moving in the telling of a story without becoming a preachy morality play.

Whether at the theater or at home, do see this film. :T
              _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
              ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2001

Originally posted by wkhanna

Either the projectionist was a fool or the film itself was damaged, as the quality of the pic was V poor.
                This is the reason I rarely go to the cinema. The last movie I saw in the theater was The Guardian and the picture wasn't focussed properly. Worst of all, a light from the projection booth shone on the screen during dark scenes.

I would love to see Gran Torino at the cinema but I can wait and see it properly in hi-def in my own theater.
                My Homepage!

Comment

• joetama
                  • May 2006

I get more joy watching a movie in my home than I do at the theater. Sounds better, looks better, I don't have to pay $20 for me and someone else to go.
                  -Joe

Comment

• Bob
                    • Jul 2000

Such a shame that many towns and cities don't have decent theaters. I like to go to the movies and am lucky that we are surrounded by many fine theaters. However, I have often gone to theaters while working on location and understand why many of you dislike going to movie theaters.

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

Amen to that, Bob. I would LOVE to start a nice theater where I live. There's even a perfect market for a quality movie theater where I live, as there is a massive area, lots of people, steady growth, (even in today's economy) but just one dinky 2-screen crappy theater that everybody hates. I could make a killing, but I don't know how to go about it, getting into the industry, how you get the movies sent to you, etc. I've got the theater all planned out in my head, and even a name. "The Aurora". Think that would ROCK for Alaska.
                      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                      - Pleasantville

Comment

• bigburner
                        Super Senior Member
                        • May 2005

Originally posted by Chris D
                        I've got the theater all planned out in my head, and even a name. "The Aurora".
                        Our local high school - which is about 500 yards from where I live - has a music and performing arts facility called the Aurora Centre. It seats 700 people.

Nigel.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Chris D
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Dec 2000

Very nice, Nigel! There's a lot that you can do with the "Aurora" theme, such as lighting shades like you have in that picture there, glows and lights on the ceiling, etc.
                          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                          - Pleasantville

Comment

• David G
                            • Jan 2005

I absolutely LOVED this movie and can't recommend it high enough for all the guys out there. Best movie I've seen in a long time!

Really a movie for the times, with it's themes of social breakdown, racism, fatherhood, honour, life and death.

Picture quality was fine at my cinema, but I did note that my home cinema is superior in every way, except room acoustics.

Way better than Slum Dog. Don't wait for the DVD, go now!

The critics agree that Clint Eastwood's final turn as an actor is an elegiac work that makes for a fitting farewell to the great screen icon. So why was it ignored by the Academy?

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            😂
                            🥰
                            😘
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😞
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"