X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Danbry39
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2002

My blind purchase - Gangs of New York

I think Roger Ebert picked this as his top film for 2002, so, as it was on for a couple cents short of $15, I went down to Best Buys to buy it this morning.

First of all, it is a good, at times spectacular, but not great overall film.

The positives include:

1. Obviously, an interesting idea to explore the violent ethnic and racial undercurrents that had taken possession of certain parts of New York at the time.

2. Fantastic production values: Great sets, very good cinematography, and a sterling DTS track (early in the film, it rocked my room when just a door was being kicked open)

3. Some extraordinary acting. I liked Liam Nieson as DiCaprio's father. But, Daniel Day-Lewis gives the performance of his career, one that I feel will be discussed by enthusiasts for years to come. I kept on wondering during the watching, how much this film would suffer if a lesser actor had been cast in this role. My attention was rivited each and every time he was on screen. He commanded my attention. Personally, I don't see how he lost out on the Oscar to Adrian Brody, but maybe that's just me.

4. Some scenes, such as the film's beginning and ending scenes, were outstanding and great spectacle cinema.

The bad:

1. Certain roles were, in my eyes, entirely empty, misdirected, or miscast. Leonardo DiCaprio didn't have the presense to be pitted against Daniel's character whatsoever. I never believed him to be a worthy oponent, as had been his father.

2. Poor editing and decision making. At times, this film seemed to be lacking cohesiveness and focus, as was the case with the almost obligatory love story within the major story between Cameron Diaz and DiCaprio. I think the story should have kept its direction on the dynamics and tensions that were the main examination of the film. Editing some of that out would have helped provide relief from the almost three hour running time.

Overall, not one of Scorsese's best films, but still very worthy of a rental, especially if one doesn't mind very graphic violence and wants to see an acting clinic by Day-Lewis.

Flawed, but worth seeing.

Keith
    Keith
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Danbry, if you and Roger gave it two thumbs-up, that's enough for me. I'll have to give it a spin. Thanks.

I've been a fan of Daniel Day Lewis since My Left Foot, and Last Of The Mohicans. He's been due for a good villian's role. Now, Leo on the other hand, has never carried any weight AFAIAC. His role in Catch Me If You Can gave me some hope for the future though.

Guess I'll take this one to San Diego with me next week along with Dark Blue.

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

I like a lot of Scorcese's work, but I'm not sure I am going to want to own this particular film. But if it was good enough for Keith, then it will certainly get a rental. After I watch it I'll decide whether or not I want to own it.

My Homepage!
      My Homepage!

Comment

• Danbry39
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Sep 2002

Hope you guys enjoy it. Again, this is not Scorcese's best work at all, but I really liked the beginning and end and loved Day-Lewis's acting. It's just the middle that drags the film down.

Keith
        Keith

Comment

• Eduardo
          Moderator emeritus
          • Jun 2002

GREAT REVIEW> good pros and cons with out giving anything away about the movie. Thanks Danbry.

I'll rent this movie first. It never really caught my attention when it first came out (mainly due to DiCrapio). The only movie i thought he was any good in was "Basketball Diaries". Nothing befor or after has be worth spit.

http://home.nc.rr.com/ejimenez

Comment

• DSGCobra
            • Feb 2003

CON: you have to change disks halfway through the movie.

Comment

• Dean McManis
              Moderator Emeritus
              • May 2003

Thanks for the review.
              I'll be renting this one as well.

-Dean.

Comment

• Danbry39
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Sep 2002

Funny thing is that I've watched quite a few DVD's since watching Gangs of New York and I liked each one better, well maybe one I didn't. So, I think I made a mistake with this blind purchase. Maybe it's just my taste, but DVD's like Antwoine Fisher, Tully, The Hours, and Punch-Drunk Love registered a lot more with me. By the way, Punch-Drunk Love has one of the greatest DTS sound tracks I've heard. I personally loved the movie, but it is VERY quirky and won't be loved by all.

Keith
                Keith

Comment

• Eduardo
                  Moderator emeritus
                  • Jun 2002

Well - I finally watched Gangs of New York this past weekend and I have to admint that I really DIDN'T like the move. First I agree with Dan that movie was poorly edited. It should have only been a 2 hr movie. At times I wasn't pleased with the audio too. DiCRAPIO couldn't hold his accent through the movie either. Glad I didn't buy this movie. Maybe worth the rental but thats all.

This is just my 2 cents review.

http://home.nc.rr.com/ejimenez

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"