X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brendon
    • Aug 2004

Wanted

I went and saw this film tonight with my wife as she had won tickets to a preview.
    Definitely the biggest pile of rubbish I've seen recently.
    Bad plot ,stupid action sequences and very repettitive mindless violence and obvious matrix trilogy slow mo bullet scene ripp offs .
    This should definately been a straight to video release.

over all rating =Video Nasty

By the way did I mention I did not like it?

There was a man sitting next to my wife with a note pad taking notes during the film so I would have presume he was the local paper movie critic .My wife said he was giggling and shaking his head and after the first half kept looking at the time on his phone.

To add insult to injury all you seee of Miss Jolies assests are a 1 second rear view as gets out of a bath.

Brendon
    Last edited by brendon; 04 August 2008, 10:08 Monday.
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

It seems reasonably well reviewed (72% "fresh" rating at Rotten Tomatoes). I haven't seen it and I would not presume to suggest your review is not valid (I've been disappointed by a number of "fresh" films) but I just want to know if you were aware it is based on a series of comic books--that might explain the more outlandish sequences. Not that being based on a comic is an excuse for a poor plot or anything else, just that it often excuses unrealistic action.

In any event, not one that was high on my list to begin with. IF I see it, I will definitely take Roger Ebert's advice and put my
    logic on hold, along with any higher sensitivities that might be vulnerable and immerse yourself as if in a video game

Comment

• brendon
      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Ovation
      It seems reasonably well reviewed (72% "fresh" rating at Rotten Tomatoes). I haven't seen it and I would not presume to suggest your review is not valid (I've been disappointed by a number of "fresh" films) but I just want to know if you were aware it is based on a series of comic books--that might explain the more outlandish sequences. Not that being based on a comic is an excuse for a poor plot or anything else, just that it often excuses unrealistic action.

In any event, not one that was high on my list to begin with. IF I see it, I will definitely take Roger Ebert's advice and put my
      I was well aware of that it was a leave your brain at the door film ,but not that it was a comic book adaptation,my wife thought it was ok.
      I had a peek at rotten tomators before hand and the reviewers seemed about 50/50.
      Usually I quite enjoy a comic book adaption and have seen most of the recent ones but maybe I have been spoilt by the lift in quality of the recent ones like Iron Man,Spider man 1-3 ,X-men ,hell boy,Transformers(not a comic but similar)and of course Batman Dark night which I have yet to see.
      This film is extremly violent in a pretty repetitive way but not in a Tarentino black humour way.

I an definately not the target audience for this film I would say to be fair :T

Brendon

Comment

• P-Dub
        Office Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Basically a story about an average joe who is the son of a famous assassin. He trains to avenge his fathers death. One of the quotes during training is, "If no one told you that bullets flew straight, and I gave you a gun and told you to hit the target, what would you do? Let your instincts guide you."

I saw this as well and didn't really care for it. I thought it had a lot of potential but it didn't really pay off for me in the end.
        Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

Oh, is this the one with the curved bullet paths? Ebert and Roeper found it intriguing. I'll add it to my Netflix rental list.
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

• P-Dub
            Office Moderator
            • Aug 2000

Yeah, this is the one with the curved bullets.
            Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Bullets can and do curve - up and down. And a little bit to the side with wind helping, but to actually "curve" a bullet? Bah. That's where this one lost me. I can suspend my disbelief for a lot of things, but there are limits. . . .

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• brendon
                • Aug 2004

The main sunday news paper where I live ran an editorial on this film getting stuck into Angelina for sexualising and promoting violence .
                The writer also had a go at the latest Batman film as he felt Batman was for kids and should not have been violent as it was (yet to see it so cant comment).
                He was also upset that the main national movie review show did not seem to address the level of violence in Wanted.
                The local reveiwer who was sat next to my wife actually enjoyed the film .
                Must say that like a lot of Aussie's and Europeans I am a bit baffled that its ok to splatter brains all over the place in US films but a bare set of breasts or more seems to be more harshly rated.
                brendon

Comment

• Ovation
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2004

While I enjoyed The Dark Knight (and strongly disagree that Batman needs to be "for kids"), I share the confusion about American ratings and concerns about violence vs nudity. I watched Michael Clayton last night and that was rated R in the US whereas The Dark Knight was rated PG-13. If the ratings were consistently applied, the reverse would have been the case. In Quebec, ratings work a bit differently (the age limits are absolute, not subject to "unless accompanied by a parent" and each film was rated 13+).

As for violence and nudity, as a parent, I monitor what my children are exposed to, but I, for one, would rather they accidentally be exposed to nudity (if, say, they walked into the HT room when a movie they should not be watching is on) than to blood and guts (even if the nudity involved sex). And ratings in Quebec reflect that--films that are R-rated in the US primarily for nudity/sex, but not for violence are frequently rated 13+ whereas films that get an R for violence are often rated 18+ (and no children are allowed into those).

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

I just rented this from Netflix. I found it ridiculous, but somewhat enjoyable. Interesting twist midway through. I give it :35: out of :5:
                    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Hdale85
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2006

I thought it was decent...I think they could have done better but it certainly wasn't a horrible movie.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Dougie085
                        it certainly wasn't a horrible movie.
                        No, but close to terrible. I bought it and wished I hadn't. Maybe I'll rewatch it in a year or two. It may seems better then.
                        My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"