X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gump
    • Sep 2005

Cox cable "On Demand"

I've been playing around with the new On Demand feature from Cox cable and my first impressions are that it's pretty cool.

Oddly, I received no notification from Cox that they had activated the program in my area, I was just channel surfing and discovered it on Channel 1.

They have a bunch of SD movies but I started with the HD section. They offered about 50 choices and I rented "The Bee Movie". The nice thing about On Demand is that you pick the movie and it starts immediately (contrary to Pay Per View) and you can start and stop it as you please. The movie is available to you for 24 hours.

I thought the HD picture quality was excellent. I don't have a blu-ray player(yet) to compare it with, but it sure looked good to me. Sound was typically good 5.1 Dolby Digital.

Downside (especially to my wife) is that the movie cost $6.99. I assume the SD movies aren't this much, but that seemed a little high to us. She kept reminding me that net flix was cheaper through out the movie.

Another feature that was kinda neat is that you can select something called "Freezone" which allows you access to a wide variety of programming that is frankly too expansive to cover completely here. This section, obviously, is free. For example you can pick programs that you wish to view from many channels including HD channels and "kids" programming (nickelodeon,PBS, nick jr, and many more---very, very cool for those of us with little kids!).

You can go to health and fitness channels and work out with Bob and Jillian from the Biggest Loser or watch Carmen Electra work out (took a quick glance at that after the wife went to bed ). You can go to the Basic Guitar channel and learn how to play or pick a celebrity teacher to give you a lesson.

If you want to see a concert or musical artist you can go the list and pick from a wide variety....Sheryl Crow, Paul Rodgers, Steve Winwood, etc., and watch some or all of their shows.

Movies, music, TV programs.....it's all there and "On Demand" for your convenience.

Just the tip of the interactive tv experience iceberg, but still pretty cool :T .
  • greenhorn
    • Feb 2007

Here it's been available for a while and even though I haven't checked it lately, I understand the content has been growing.

One other interesting thing is when they (they seem seldom these days) have a free HBO or Showtime weekends, they open up the HBO and Showtime on demand too. It was a couple of those weekends that I first saw Deadwood and Rome. I'll tell you once I found those nothing much else would happend. One of them, I think it was Deadwood had like the the first season and I basically had a weekend to watch it all before the free weekend was over.

Good post, I think I'll go and see what they have to offer these days.

Comment

• Hdale85
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

We have Comcast up here but have had On Demand for a long time. I haven't had cable for a while but it will be installed on Wednesday as I switched back to the cable company and the package I wanted for just phone and internet was just slightly less then phone internet and cable so it was a no brainer. I'll have to let you know if its better then I remember. When I had it before it was still pretty new and not that exciting. They also gave me HBO and Showtime free for a year so that sweetened the deal.

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Now we just need the competition from this and Apple TV/Vudu Netflix VOD to kick in and drive prices down The more this stuff spreads the better for us :T
        Jason

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

Ok well I got my HD cable turned on today. Strange the installer gave me a DVR even though I'm not paying for one Works for me! Anyways on demand works and looks great especially the HD stuff. At least as good as it can look over cable. I definitely don't like the compression but I can live with it its not so horrible that I can't watch. It's kind of like a good HD DIVx compression. My biggest complaint with on demand is that Showtime has HD on demand but HBO doesn't... not sure if thats due to Comcast or HBO.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"