X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave999
    • Mar 2007

Speed Racer Wait for it on DVD or Blu-ray

This is a movie to not waste your money on. The audio and video quality were good with very vibrant colors and a very wide variety of pastels and neons, but the movie was pretty silly (even for a movie from a cartoon). Its mostly computer graphics throughout. Save your money and pass on it.
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Your looking at it as someone that was not a fan of the series it seems. So your review is a bit subjective but I'm sure that a lot will have the same view.

Comment

• Ovation
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

I saw it yesterday and, if you are a fan of the original (as I am--have all the DVD sets), you should enjoy it. It will certainly be "eye candy" for BD but it is worth seeing on an 80+ foot screen at least once. Popmatters.com has the best review of the film (not because the reviewer loves the film but rather because he "gets it" in terms of both what the filmmakers were attempting and in terms of why so many critics don't).

Not a perfect film by any stretch, but certainly true to the spirit of the original (particularly the middle of the three races featured in the story).

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

I'm not a SR cartoon fan, but when I heard that the Wachowski brothers did the movie, that makes me want to see it right there. Ebert and Roeper (and guest) said that it has some really innovative CGI composition and use.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

This'll be a pass for me.
          My Homepage!

Comment

• Hdale85
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

I'm not sure if I'll see it in theaters or buy it but somehow I will eventually see it.

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

I'll rent it/watch it on cable
              Jason

Comment

• Ovation
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2004

Well, I've found it on IMAX so I'll be seeing it again on an even BIGGER screen. Maybe some kid will vomit some Skittles or Crayolas on me. :roll:

Comment

• Sarahbee
                  • Jun 2005

Yeah -- second that, Ovation. I've already seen it twice, and I'm heading this weekend to see it on IMAX. And I never once saw the show as a kid, so you can't claim I'm just a fan! I really liked the movie -- and if you plan on seeing it, you'll be doing yourself a disservice waiting and not seeing it on the big screen.
                  "We have so much time and so little to do. Strike that, reverse it." - Roald Dahl, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Comment

• David Meek
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Have to admit that I'm not a fan, so it'll be a pass for me. At least until Netflix has it.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• cinema bob
                      • Apr 2005

Im a fan of the series, and I thought they did an awesome job on this one. If you dont like the cartoon then you will hate the film. The only thing i didnt like was the way the cars drifted, like a silly drifters club, they should have been planted and had more "realistic" style of driving. Oh and the road race is very cool and a lot like the Tv show. The GP's not so much.

This is not great cinema but it is fun and one of the better/closer adaptations ive seen.

Comment

• cinema bob
                        • Apr 2005

Oh and every time i saw John Goodman I kept thinking to myself "shomer shabbos!!" IDK why I can watch him in tons of other great films and not get the labowski feel but this on just jumped out at me.

Comment

• Sarahbee
                          • Jun 2005

Originally posted by cinema bob
                          Im a fan of the series, and I thought they did an awesome job on this one. If you dont like the cartoon then you will hate the film. The only thing i didnt like was the way the cars drifted, like a silly drifters club, they should have been planted and had more "realistic" style of driving. Oh and the road race is very cool and a lot like the Tv show. The GP's not so much.

This is not great cinema but it is fun and one of the better/closer adaptations ive seen.

I beg to differ -- I'm not a fan of the cartoon, but I liked the film! And I think it is great cinema, in the sense that it stretches the limits of what's done in modern cinema. It isn't an artistic movie in terms of plot or script, but it certainly is in terms of cinematography.

But we can definitely both agree that we liked the movie!
                          "We have so much time and so little to do. Strike that, reverse it." - Roald Dahl, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Comment

• Ovation
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Sep 2004

Just wanted to add (though I doubt it will change anyone's opinion) that I've been going through the originals with my kids and after watching nearly 60% of them in the past month and a half, I find the film to be more and more in line with the originals. Even things that might appear out of place (the business schemes and so on) were integral parts of several stories. So while no one will think of the film as a classic, one thing it cannot be faulted for is not being true to the tone of the source material.

Comment

• Hdale85
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jan 2006

Well I finally got around to watching this movie and I have to say I loved it. It's not your typical movie by anymeans and probably not for everyone but I thought it was great and portrayed the original series quite well. I plan on buying it on blu-ray it's definitely going to be something to use for test material.

Comment

• Sarahbee
                                • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Dougie085
                                Well I finally got around to watching this movie and I have to say I loved it. It's not your typical movie by anymeans and probably not for everyone but I thought it was great and portrayed the original series quite well. I plan on buying it on blu-ray it's definitely going to be something to use for test material.
                                I've been thinking the same thing. It'd be the perfect movie for Blu-ray -- so visually intensive.

Comment

• Ovation
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Sep 2004

This will be my next BD purchase and, very likely, my next BD viewing (of a movie, at any rate--I've started watching Mad Men on BD and it's great so far).

Comment

• Chris D
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Dec 2000

Although I really appreciate the Wachowskis, I think just to be safe, I'll watch this via Netflix first, and then buy.
                                    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Hdale85
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Jan 2006

You just have to be open minded its not like any other movie really its a bit whacky and out there but its fun. It's certainly not a kids movie as there are several romantic scenes (not sex but just mooshy stuff) and a bit of swear words here and there. I just found it to be a fun movie.

Comment

• Sarahbee
                                        • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Dougie085
                                        You just have to be open minded its not like any other movie really its a bit whacky and out there but its fun. It's certainly not a kids movie as there are several romantic scenes (not sex but just mooshy stuff) and a bit of swear words here and there. I just found it to be a fun movie.

I do think the open mind is important. A lot of times people are predisposed to be dubious or even critical of a movie, and with any kind of art or entertainment form, it makes a huge difference to the experience. Not that some people didn't legitimately dislike the movie, but I do think a lot of people would've enjoyed it more if they hadn't gone in already with the negative reviews in their heads.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Jan 2001

I was going to pass on this, but after what I've read here, I'll keep an open mind and rent it--on Blu, of course.
                                          My Homepage!

Comment

• Kevin D
                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                            • Oct 2002

Almost rented it the other night, but noticed it only has regular Dolby Digital on it??? Possible a great visual demo disc only has Dolby Digital?

I'll wait for the re-release/special edition as Warner has all ready stated all of their future releases will have lossless audio.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Ovation
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Sep 2004

You're not even going to rent it? I don't understand the mentality that is creeping across the fora that "if it ain't lossless, it's s*^t". Have we really been awash in crap with plain ol' DD/DTS all these years?

I understand the frustration some have over "lossy" on HDM (though I consider it overblown--but that's me). I don't understand the refusal to even watch a release (not buy, but watch) because it isn't "lossless". Seems akin to cutting off one's nose to spite one's face.

As for me, it's been ordered and I hope to have it later this week. It will get multiple viewings for sure (and I have no "lossless" audio capability for BD at the moment, so it's moot for me).

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Jan 2006

Yeah nothing wrong with Dolby Digital. Of course if I buy it I'd prefer it to have a lossy track but if I'm just renting its not like Dolby Digital is bad.

Comment

• Kevin D
                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                  • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Ovation
                                                  You're not even going to rent it? I don't understand the mentality that is creeping across the fora that "if it ain't lossless, it's s*^t". Have we really been awash in crap with plain ol' DD/DTS all these years?
                                                  Didn't say I wasn't going to rent it, just that I didn't the other night. I just got a blu-ray player and this was the first rental. I will probably watch it when it comes on one of the many HD movie channels I get. If I enjoy it, I'll probably purchase it on Blu-ray. I usually run about 6-12 months behind on movies, so waiting a while to see if a new version comes out isn't that big of a deal.

That in addition to the fact the Rotel 1069 turns night mode on for Dolby Digital when you don't run a center channel kind of makes plain Dolby Digital sound a whole lot worse then other formats.

It's more of a frustration that a studio would actually release something on BR, a format capable of of the highest resolution in video and sound, without any form of new audio. Would you say the same if a studio released something in 720p max? I mean, it's still HD right? And you really have to have a bigger TV and the right equipment to fully see the difference between 720p and 1080p anyway.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Ovation
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Sep 2004

Sorry--I've just come across a lot of "no lossless = crap" in a few places and I think it an unfair position. As for the 720p question--I would have to see one to judge it as I find the HD broadcasts of ABC (in 720p) to look quite nice (and not noticeably inferior to 1080i broadcasts) on my 64 inch screen. But I do think differences in video quality are easier to notice than those in audio quality, FWIW.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                      • Jan 2006

Yeah I get that vibe from a lot of people as well where if its not lossless they just won't buy it regardless. I can understand your frustrations though Kevin

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Jan 2001

I don't have a receiver with HDMI so I am still hearing good old DD/DTS and in my theater it has always sounded pretty darn good. But there are many audio purists out there and I would be the last one to criticize them for wanting only the best. It's just that, to my tired old ears, I really doubt if I'd notice the difference from lossless to normal DD/DTS. And, frankly, I have no intention of upgrading from my Denon 3801 as long as it it corking right along.
                                                        My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                                                        😀
                                                        😂
                                                        🥰
                                                        😘
                                                        🤢
                                                        😎
                                                        😞
                                                        😡
                                                        👍
                                                        👎
                                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                        Search Result for "|||"