• Feb 2005

R.I.P. Roy Scheider

Roy Scheider dies at 75.
    June
    "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

He didn't look well in the last film I saw him in. It was pretty forgettable. I can't even recall the name of it. I'll never forget his famous lines from Jaws after, while he was chumming at at stern, the shark came out of the water. He said, " We're gonna need a bigger boat. "

I also liked his work in The French Connection, Blue Thunder and All That Jazz.

RIP, Roy.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• John Holmes
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Yes, "All That Jazz" is one of my favorites. And "Blue Thunder" was pretty cool too! Another good one has left us!
      "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Alloroc
        Super Senior Member
        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
        He didn't look well in the last film I saw him in. It was pretty forgettable. I can't even recall the name of it. I'll never forget his famous lines from Jaws after, while he was chumming at at stern, the shark came out of the water. He said, " We're gonna need a bigger boat. "

I also liked his work in The French Connection, Blue Thunder and All That Jazz.

RIP, Roy.
        Y'know I only saw Blue Thunder a few weeks ago on TCM. I'd not seen it in years and came across it by accident. It was a really great movie and could still hold it's own by todays standards.

And don't forget that zoom scene in Jaws when he realised that there was a shark attack going on. Still sends shivers....

Finally, one can't forget his roles in Klute and Marathon Man...
        Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Let's not forget one of his less-known gems - Sorcerer. I think he impressed me more as an actor in that film than in any other he was in. If you haven't seen this one, do yourself a favor and rent it. It's not the happiest, feel-good movie ever made, but it is a good one. Another personal favorite is 2010.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

Yes, I always think of Jaws and Blue Thunder. Bummer. 75, eh?
            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
            - Pleasantville

Comment

• sirbogey
              • Mar 2006

We're gonna need a bigger boat! R.I.P.!

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2001

I have to agree with Tex on Scheider's performance in Sorcerer. Nothing short of great. And the film itself is terrific. It was based on a French film entitled The Wages Of Fear, and there are moments when you will sweat right along with the characters.Do see it if you can.
                My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

I've never seen The Wages Of Fear, but it's in my Netflix queue now. The set-up sounds a bit different - destitute men instead of shady characters - but the overall story sounds very similar. Thanks for the tip Sir George. :T

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Ovation
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Sep 2004

Added both to my ziplist.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"