X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave999
    • Mar 2007

Golden Compass

This is a good interesting movie for kids and most adults. It has a very interesting plot and story with very good special effects. I think it is from a series of three books, so if it is successful teh sequels will follow.
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Dave-

I saw a news report that the story and its sequels push a subtle atheistic agenda. Did you find that to be true at all in the story?
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Ovation
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

That is a somewhat simplistic critique of the books and (according to Roger Ebert's review) not a relevant point in the film. The books are not "subtly atheistic", actually, but rather a critique of organized religions (particularly the Catholic Church, IIRC) and include as a plot element the idea that God is an ancient entity who is dying or has died (I can't immediately recall the details as the books came out in the mid nineties). (the spoiler is for the books, not the film, BTW) The film is fantasy/sci-fi that should not be particularly offensive to any particular religion--at least, not any more so than many other fantasy/sci-fi stories. But, as often happens, criticisms of the source material often obscures the actual film.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Yeah, seems the catholic church in some places is banning the film for its church members, but my understanding from those who have seen the film say there is nothing there to be concerned about.
        My Homepage!

Comment

• Dave999
          • Mar 2007

I did not pick up on any atheistic agenda in the film. There is criticism of the rulers of the land who seem to want complete control over everything, but that theme is in a lot of movies. It may be there, but it is subtle.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"