X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

X-Men 3

This one looks good so far! I've got some apprehensions, though.

1. I though X-Men 1 and 2 were pretty darn good (not spectacular) so the pressure's on for 3.

2. Brian Singer, who did 1 and 2 (of "Usual Suspect" fame) is NOT doing 3 so he can do Superman.

3. I'm seeing a LOT of advertisement for X-men 3, and promos at various places like fast food restaraunts. Movies that are overhyped prior to release make me nervous about their quality, given the track record of things like "Godzilla" and "Fantastic Four".

But, looks like we'll see some new characters, which everybody always likes. And I haven't read the comics or anything, but I undertand the plot line of Dr. Grey dying in 2 and then being recurrected in 3 as the Pheonix (?) is HUGE to the story, so I hope they do that right, too.

Being released May 26th, methinks.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • Sithlord
    • Aug 2004

I for one am looking forward to this movie. The whole pheonix thing will be interesting as it was very different in the comics so we will have to see how they explain that one in the context of the movie. The trailers look great but these days we can't count on that being the deciding factor. Only time will tell and early reviews.

Comment

• mike c
      • Dec 2005

just came back from watching X3. I'd have to say it was at least equal to the second one or better. (leaning towards better)

make sure you watch in a moviehouse with great subwoofers ... this one will give those places a workout.

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Oh, good! Cool...

(Manilla? As in Philippines? I was born there. Seeing a... uh... "unauthorized advance" screening?)
        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• mike c
          • Dec 2005

yup, manila philippines.

no this was legit ... we normally release new movies every wednesday

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

Hugh Jackman is on "Conan" right now, and he made the comment that "this is our last X-Men film".

Hadn't heard that one before. Disappointing, too, as these types of series can go on indefinitely if they're good enough.
            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• mike c
              • Dec 2005

when you get to watch the movie, you will see why it is the last. hehe

but I would guess that there would be a "Wolverine" movie

Comment

• Sithlord
                • Aug 2004

I heard that you should wait until the end credits for a 30sec trailer or something. Not sure what it is but it's mentioned here:

Comment

• mike c
                  • Dec 2005

craaaaaaap.
                  you guys will have to tell me what it is about

Comment

• Sithlord
                    • Aug 2004

Sorry for the late report Mike just found out myself and the movie just came out here (Australia) today (Thursday 25th May). I'm seeing it tomorrow (Friday 26th May so I will post my impressions later on.

Comment

• Sithlord
                      • Aug 2004

Ok I saw it and thought it was very average indeed. I've collected comics on and off for over 10 years now and I guess my standards with Comic adaptations are higher than others but it just didn't flow as well as the previous 2 offerings. The director imo sacrificed character development for action and I thought thats why the characters weren't as interesting as before.The new team members in X-men were a nice addition but there was no introduction they were just there and to the uneducated you want to know who they are and whats their background. The run time didn't help at 100mins and seemed very rushed. The visuals were also a mixed bag and looked more like wire stunts than anything. The acting was good for the most part with credit going to Kelsey Grammer (Beast) and Hugh Jackman (Wolverine) but it was the dialogue that failed most of the time just seemed forced.

Be sure to stay after the credits for an extention to the story. I will say no more.

:25: / :5:

Comment

• Sithlord
                        • Aug 2004

Wow I'm surpirised no one else has posted a review of this movie. I'm looking forward to hearing what others thought of it.

Comment

• Leef DaLucky
                          • May 2003

I was able to check it out on Friday after work.
                          I'm kind of surprised you thought it was average at best.
                          Like Sith, i was also a collector back in the 70's/80's and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
                          Definitely the best out of the 3.
                          I'll also take the other side of the development issue on this one.
                          I was hoping that since the character development was wrapped up in the first 2, there was going to be a lot more action and i wasn't let down.
                          Good stuff.
                          It's in my collection as soon as it hits the shelves.

On the negative side, you're completely right about the wire work.
                          Storm should have been sailing on wind currents but she looked like she was bobbing on wires the whole time.
                          (I thought SFX had graduated beyond that cheesy effect?!)
                          The running time was a little short, IMO as well.
                          If anyone saw the last episode of charmed, thats kind of what it felt like.
                          "How much can we wrap up and how quickly can we do it)...

I'll be watching it again though. Easily.
                          Mikey
                          "...Because Good is Dumb...!"
                          -Dark Helmet

Comment

• KeithM
                            • Oct 2005

I saw it Friday and thought it was good except for the constant hum of the rear speakers and the kid in front of me changing his reingtone mid-movie.

Comment

• Danbry39
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Sep 2002

I guess I could go to it tomorrow. My wife and I are driving nine 13-14 year old girls there (youngest daughter's fourteenth birthday). Daughter asked if I'd like to see it with them. Said no. I'm very distraction sensitive and a bunch of teenagers scares me. But, I know most of the girls pretty well and perhaps if I can situate myself by a couple of the quieter ones...

In any regard, I'll report what they have to say. Bear in mind, though, most here don't have the same tastes as my daughters and her friends, well actually they don't agree with each other. On the other hand, we don't agree with critics or each other a lot of the time. :P
                              Keith

Comment

• Danbry39
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Sep 2002

Well, I didn't go myself. I just knew I couldn't handle the energy (euphemistically speaking) level that the young girls would bring with them to the theater. Oh, boy, was I right in that regard, but that's another story.

Anyway, I asked them to rate the film when they came out. They weren't too enthused and didn't like it as much as the first two. Their favorite seemed to be the first one of the series.

Of course, my taste is very different, but I'll still wait until it hits Hollywood most likely.
                                Keith

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Jan 2001

I own the first one but didn't even bother to rent the second, so I probably won't even see the third when it comes to dvd. Not that they are bad films, it's just that somehow I can't get excited about them.
                                  My Homepage!

Comment

• Sefu
                                    • Jun 2006

Ok X-3 Rocked, and YES stay after the credits are over, there is a very vital clip there... and too this is not there last movie, there will be more. (warning here comes a comic nut lol) They ended the movie in the middle of the comics pretty much... Scott and Gene are not dead, one they have not gotten married yet and had Cable.. and there are a few other things in the X-men universe that really need thoes two to work our, so they died a lil early lol... and with Xavier... well again youll see.... but yeah there will be atleast 3 more movies^^
                                    Last edited by David Meek; 26 June 2006, 21:51 Monday. Reason: added SPOILER tags
                                    Trying to apply logic to this world is like slamming your head into a metal pole for hours on end… it just don’t make any sense.

I have MANY friends.... you just can't see any of them.... :T

Comment

Working...
                                    😀
                                    😂
                                    🥰
                                    😘
                                    🤢
                                    😎
                                    😞
                                    😡
                                    👍
                                    👎
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"