X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gordon Moore
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Feb 2002

Kevin Smith early reviews EpisodeIII

JoBlo.com features daily movie & TV news updates, all the latest movie reviews, movie trailers, release dates, posters and much more!

Excerpt of comments:

“Revenge of the Sith” is, quite simply, f***ing awesome. This is the “Star Wars” prequel the haters have been bitching for since “Menace” came out, and if they don’t cop to that when they finally see it, they’re lying. As dark as “Empire” was, this movie goes a thousand times darker…"

Full **** SPOILER-filled **** review here: http://www.newsaskew.com/blog/?m=20050425

Personally, I can't read it, as I'm going in spoiler free....but I'm pumped to say the least based on the excerpt 8)
    Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.
  • Shane Martin
    Super Senior Member
    • Apr 2001

One thing to mention from what I have heard is that Kevin Smith is a Star Wars Freak so we should take an early review with alot of salt here.

Comment

• Gordon Moore
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Feb 2002

A StarWars freak would best review StarWars....no?

He wasn't ga-ga over episode I but he didn't hate it either....which pretty much aligns with my thinking:

Kevin's Phantom Menace Review

Originally posted May 1999

I saw 'Episode One' tonight.

Hee-hee-hee! Ah - being in this business finally pays off.

The good folks at the BBC sent me to a press screening, so that I can review the flick next week for them. I offer my new Brit peeps a shoutout for that.

Of the film, I can say many things. But the long and short of it is that I liked it - quite a bit. I'd rank it right after 'Empire' in a list of fave 'Star Wars' flicks. It starts great, ends great, and has great stuff sprinkled in between.

Is there too much Jar Jar? For a small stretch, yes; but then the Binks quotient calms down considerably.

Is the kid bad? I thought he was okay. He certainly wasn't wooden, as some people have suggested. He was a kid actor - no more, no less. I will say that - while it's probably unintentional, his exhuberance juxtaposes nicely against what he eventually becomes in the stories.

Is it a puppet-heavy, CGI affair? There's a great deal of it, but not to the point where it's irritating (though the two-headed pod-race comentator was a bit much).

I think the key is to go in with low expectations. I did, and I really dug it. Dug it more with distance. I'd see it again.

The stuff I liked: Liam, Ewan, Darth Maul (who's in the 2:10 flick for maybe a half hour, tops), R2's introduction, the reappearance of the Tusken Raiders, the treatment of the Jedi as supreme badasses that are to be feared, the political subplot, the fact that Lucas slows the second act way down to introduce Anakin, and of course, the lightsaber battles. The use of the lightsaber in this flick is astounding; worth the price of admission alone.

I'm sure in about a week, it's going to become quite fashionable to bash this flick - hard. But I'd like to go on record as saying I dug it. It's a good movie with great moments.

Two things that stuck out to me, though: at one point, they refer to 'space'. Has the word 'space' ever been used in a 'Star Wars' flick before? Padme says "Space is cold." It struck me as odd, because I can't recall anyone ever using the term 'space' in the flicks before.

That, and the Viceroy of the trade commission. For half the flick, I was trying to decipher his accent - was it Jamaican, French, what? Then it came to me: he sounds like the Czech Brothers from the old SNL (or Steve Martin's 'Wild and Crazy Guy' character). Weird.

Anyway, see the flick when it comes out. It's better than half the crap out there, and it's got history on its side.

In a world of grades: B+ or A-

In a world of stars: 3 or 3 and a 1/2
      Last edited by David Meek; 05 May 2005, 09:50 Thursday. Reason: removed SPOILER tags ;-)

Comment

• Glen
        • Dec 2003

Well I read the spoiler ( couldn't help myself :smackbutt: ).

Now I'm even more pumped to see it.

Thanks Gord :T

Comment

• Nick M
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Nov 2004

Didn't read the spoiler.

Personally I loved Episode I, but thought Episode II was the "worst" of all the star wars films.
          ~Nick

Comment

• Shane Martin
            Super Senior Member
            • Apr 2001

A StarWars freak would best review StarWars....no?
            Not in my opinion. Your bias tends to cloud your judgement a bit if not alot.

Comment

• Gordon Moore
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Feb 2002

Not in my opinion.
              And in the the end, that's all reviews are...It's impossible to review a movie without bias....

In fact, a person who doesn't like sci-fi will be hard pressed to ever give an honest opinion....same goes for a person who doesn't appreciate the horror genre....A person who can't stand dramas will most likely review a drama a good 1/2 star or a full star less in their mind before they've even seen it becuase their internal (non cognative, intrinsic) bias comes in to play.

So I think, a star wars geek or at least one who appreciates sci-fi, comic books, video games or all of the above will give a better estimation of a movie of that genre than the opera critic who is forced to sit through star wars and then spout of their dislikes because it wasn't high cinema...

IMO

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

Not to mention TRUE fans of the subject tend to be the people who are the hardest on it
                Jason

Comment

• Sithlord
                  • Aug 2004

TRUE fans
                  I'm very picky when it comes to Science Fiction movies overall and the lastest Starwars movies haven't impressed me. Books are IMO, the best source for great stories and there are so many that blow Starwars away. I've seen all the TV spots for
                  Ep3 and again I'm forced to wait until it's release before passing judgement. Some things look great others just look silly but without seeing it in the context of the whole I'm proberly being harsh. It's very difficult to agree with any reviewer, as no one knows what their true passion is and what their background is so it's a mute point. The newspaper I work for has a movie reviewer and he gave LOTR FOTR 2 out of 5. Then when ROTK came out he gave it 5 out of 5. Now IMO the first one is that series was the better so I don't know what he didn't like about it but thats how it goes.

As a fairly devoted fan of the Starwars movies, I'm hoping that Ep3 delivers where the first 2 failed in so many ways. I hope it's not just eye candy and fights for the sake of fights because it looks good. Obviously there will be contect in there that fans are going to hate or thought it should have been done a different way but we just have to accept it that is GL story and his vision and thats that. Anyway on May19 we will all find out and then let the discusions begin. And we thought the Clone Wars was a big deal. 8O
                  Last edited by Sithlord; 02 May 2005, 04:20 Monday.

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

This is VERY, VERY encouraging to hear that EPIII is been well liked by a true fan. I've found that my tastes align pretty well to Kevin's in terms of SW. I'm reading his review right now, up to the point where any spoilers might come in. I found this part to be hilarious:

First off, never… never… see a movie as geeky-cool and momentous as “Revenge of the Sith” with a room full of marketing stiffs. While I “WOOOOOOOOOOOOO-HOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!”ed throughout the screening at stuff only the most moribund wouldn’t be able to muster the enthusiasm to scream over, I stood alone. The only tepid interactive acknowledgment this sad little group could muster was a perfunctory smattering of near-golf claps for the Fox logo at the head of the film - and even that felt forced (pun intended). But ****** ‘em - their disturbing lack of faith couldn’t ruin this movie for me.
                    I'm rolling on the floor. I'm one of those that whoops and screams when the opening John Williams chord explodes onto the screen with the scrolling Star Wars words. Okay, I'm a dork too. I can only imagine seeing this with executives that only appreciate SW for the money it brings their company.
                    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Gordon Moore
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Feb 2002

Spielberg weighs in with his bias's all in tact but I like what he's saying:

From www.theforce.net :

Steven Spielberg Reviews Episode III

Posted By Britany on May 3, 2005

Tom writes:

This morning Steven Spielberg was somewhat bizarrely involved in a radio phone in contest on the breakfast show on Xfm, London's alternative music station.

He talks a bit about War of the Worlds and also gives a brief positive review of 'Revenge of the Sith'.

The conversation can be heard here.

Jenny adds:

Steven was taking part in a competition called Bounty Hunter where listeners have to track down celebrities and get them to call the show in a bid to win 10 grand. The person who 'bounty hunted' Stephen was none other than Coldplay's Chris Martin! Chris is a fan of Xfm and if he wins is going to give the 10 grand to his mate Brian in London.

Christian O'Connell: Stephen have you seen the new Star Wars?

Steven Spielberg: I saw it about a week ago, and it's absolutely amazing it's the best of the last 3 episodes, it's the best way you could possibly imagine for George to finish it off, it has a tremendous ending it's very dark you'll cry at the end, it's wonderful.

Comment

• Sithlord
                        • Aug 2004

Thanks for that info Gordon. Well I've just seen alot of footage from playing the X-box version of the Episode 3 game. If you want to see General Grevious well you see alot of him in the movie cut scenes. No wookies at all in the cut scenes. I haven't finished the game but you can enter a code and see all the movie scenes, some are game graphics some are from the movie. Unfortunatley again, there are some bad lines delivered by both Obi-won and Anakin at the start of the film while in the huge space battle and when trying to rescue someone. Hopefully thats it for the cheesy lines and the rest is dark. Great game so far.

Comment

• David Meek
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

Ooops, I had checked this thread in a few days. I've placed SPOILER tags around the give-away material in Gordon's post of the review.

Gang, for the umpteenth time: PLEASE USE SPOILER TAGS ON SOMETHING LIKE THIS!

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Sithlord
                            • Aug 2004

I've placed SPOILER tags around the give-away material in Gordon's post of the review.
                            Sorry I dont mean to be rude, but where are the spoilers for Ep 3 on this thread? The review was for Ep 1 that Gordon posted. Is that what the problem is. I hope what I've posted doesn't full under the spoiler rules. ops:

Comment

• Gordon Moore
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Feb 2002

Actually David....do you mean we have to spoilerize movies from 1999? :E

Like Simon mentioned....that was Kevin's EPISODE1 review. I don't believe the blacked out material was really spoilers at all but you are the mod, and that's left to your discretion. No harm no foul on either parties part I hope.

Sorry to stir the pot. ops:

Comment

• David Meek
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

Oh, okay. I was trying my best NOT to read anything in the post and with the subject of the thread being Ep III. . . . Tags removed.

Gordon, no pot stirring there at all as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

• Gordon Moore
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Feb 2002

I was trying my best NOT to read anything in the post and with the subject of the thread being Ep III...
                                  :T

I totally hear you on this. While I posted the link for Kevin Smith's review....I can't bring myself to read it. I'm going into this one cold. I really want the first hand experience. While I can't bring myself to stay up till midnight on the 19th I'm taking the afternoon off so my wife and I can go see the 3rd showing. I want to be alert and refreshed....the midnight one would be difficult as I'm always in bed by 10:30 pm so I'm afraid being tired would detract from the experience.

I'm going to just sit back and enjoy (what I hope) is an entertaining conclusion to what has always been one of my favorite space serials
                                  Last edited by Gordon Moore; 06 May 2005, 14:00 Friday.

Comment

• Sithlord
                                    • Aug 2004

Midnight for me. I saw the first like that but not the second. Thought I would keep with tradition and finish what I started. I'm working until 10pm that night so it will be a long one, but I'm going to be on 2 weeks holiday from then anyway so doesn't matter. Not long now.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Oct 2003

Hi,

Aint it Cool has an even more spoiler filled (and enthusiastic) review Here (be warned!)

As well as this reflective but enthusiastic one from Aint it Cool owner and founder Harry Harry

Geoff

Comment

• Gordon Moore
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Feb 2002

Here's how Bill Hunt ranks the films:

I glossed (skipping the summary) his review and his thoughts are very positive :T

The Digital Bits is the Internet’s leading source for DVD, Blu-ray Disc, and 4K Ultra HD industry news, reviews, analysis, and expertise. Founded in 1997, it’s THE place for cinephiles to celebrate their love of film.

The Phantom Menace: C
                                        Attack of the Clones: C+
                                        Revenge of the Sith: B+
                                        A New Hope: A
                                        The Empire Strikes Back: A+
                                        Return of the Jedi: B

Comment

• David Meek
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Aug 2000

Excellent! (in best Keanu Reeves voice) :yesnod:

Comment

• Brandon B
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Jun 2001

Variety is also prettykeen on it (spoilers in review at this link).

I am getting extra interested at this point. I've have been weak and partaken of spoilers, but not so much that the movie is all laid out for me.

I will be seeing it at the Cinerama dome opening weekend, and in a big nice digital theater the following weekend. At this point, I am telling my 7 year old that he will not be seeing it right away, a plan he has dejectedly agreed is probably wise, but I'll see how I feel after seeing it.

Getting excited!

BB

Comment

• David Meek
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Brandon
                                              Getting excited!
                                              Uh huh. Uh huh. :banana: :banana: :banana:

Comment

• Gordon Moore
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Feb 2002

I'd have to take a trip to Toronto I believe if I want to see a digital presentation.....dammit.....

Until the DVD comes out in November I hear 8)

Time to shop for a projector ve-eeeerrrrrry soon I think. I'm surprised at the number of people who dumped bigtime on episode1 and some on episode2 are relatively satisfied with 3....maybe the "3rd time's a charm..." phrase applies this time .

This is fun

12 days 8 hours and counting .....

Comment

Working...
                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                Search Result for "|||"