Director:
    Breck Eisner (Thoughtcrimes, Taken)

Writers:
    Clive Cussler (novel)
    Thomas Dean Donnelly (screenplay)
    Joshua Oppenheimer (screenplay)
    James V. Hart (screenplay)

Cast:
    Matthew McConaughey (A Time To Kill, Contact, EdTV, Reign Of Fire) as Dirk Pitt
    Penelope Cruz (Blow, Capt. Corelli's Mandolin, Vanilla Sky, Gothika) as Dr. Eva Rojas
    Steve Zahn (Out Of Sight, You've Got Mail, National Security) as Al Giordino
    Lambert Wilson (The Matrix Reloaded, The Matrix Revolutions, Timeline) as Yves Massarde
    William H. Macy (Air Force One, Fargo, Pleasantville, Jurassic Park III) as Admiral Sandecker
    Delroy Lindo (Ransom, Romeo Must Die, Gone In 60 Seconds, The Core) as Carl

Based on the Dirk Pitt series of action-adventure novels by Clive Cussler, Sahara finds Dirk off the coast of central Africa looking for an ancient king's tomb. By luck (or misfortune) he falls into step with a pair of W.H.O. doctors trying to track down the source of a plague outbreak (it being Dirk, of course one of the doctors is a georgeous woman). On the side, he's also looking for the remains of a Confederate iron-clad battleship that disappeared with the fall of Richmond at the end of the American Civil War - yes, in Africa. Dirk, his sidekick Al Giordino, the docs and Rudi Gunn all head up-river into. . . . Nope, that's as far as I go.

Honestly, I must admit I went in with really low expectations for this film. Maybe that helped, but having seen it I have to admit I had a good bit of fun, some laughs and one or two groans. It's not great cinema - it's just good summer (okay, April) tongue-firmly-in-cheek mindless fun fare. Take a fairly stock good guys/bad guys/damsel in distress storyline, throw in some nice toys like cigarette boats, tanks, helicopters, ancient "ships of death" and such, then most importantly stir in actors and actresses that look like they are having fun doing what they do, are easy to like/hate and presto! You've got something that may just work, and in this case I think it did, to a point. Sahara comes out as a cross between Indiana Jones-lite, the Hope & Crosby road movies and the recent National Treasure. There are some moments where your credulity will be stretched, but fortunately the really corny moments are held to one or two. The chemistry between McConaughey, Zahn and Ms. Cruz is evident and keeps you pleasantly involved even through those "groaner" moments.

Visually, it was nicely shot with a neutral color palette. No mood filtering here. For a Dirk Pitt adventure, surprisingly there was almost NO underwater activity at all. Oh, it is called Sahara isn't it? Detail is a mixed bag. Some closeups are nice, clean and sharp, while some medium and long shots look almost blurred at times. Other times it's the opposite. Ahh, add together and divide by two. . . .

Sonically, most of the sounds were focused on the front and front-side speakers with only a moderate amount of use out of the side and rear surounds. Dynamics are good and dialog is clear. Nothing spectacular here, although a really good aggressive DVD mix would help once you have it at home.

Overall, it's a decent matinee movie, or at least a DVD renter once it's released. Don't spend your money on a full-rate ticket unless you are a gonzo action-adventure movie lover, or a stark raving fan of Messrs. McConaughey, Cruz or Zahn.

I give Sahara :25: out of :5:.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

So, Tex,how does Matthew come across as Dirk Pitt ? And do you think this will be a franchise ?
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Radec
      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by David Meek
      For a Dirk Pitt adventure, surprisingly there was almost NO underwater activity at all.
      I got to say, I was a bit surprised (and slightly dissapointed) that the Dirk Pitt adventure that they chose to make has no SCUBA storylines. Dirk Pitt series is my on vacation I don't wanna think about anything "real life'ish" entertainment. Personally, I would have chosen a different story.
      But they didn't ask me :W

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by George
        So, Tex,how does Matthew come across as Dirk Pitt ? And do you think this will be a franchise ?
        Actually, quite good. He comes across with this absolutely believable "devil-may-care" attitude that is straight out of the early Pitt books. Plus, he really does seem to be enjoying the heck out of himself. It worked for me. As to a franchise? In one of the promo interviews done with him, he said if this one is a success he'd love to do more.

When we saw it this Saturday (in release 8 days) the theater was - I'm guessing - 85% full.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• saurabh
          • Feb 2005

Was disappointed after seeing this movie, did they make it just bcos the producer wanted an adventure theme movie to be made!!!!!!!!
          Need is the mother of all Inventions.....I am needy

Comment

• Nick M
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

Rented It.

To be honest I was suprised. I was expecting a "National Treasure" type flop, but watched the film from beginning to end. Lots of unbelieveable feats, but it was fun and almost nonstop action. Excellent casting. They actually did some research and thinking with the technical aspects. Kind of like Indiana Jones meets Bond. I for one enjoyed it, but will pass on the purchase.

:3: out of :5:

Worth atleast a rent for action fans (IMHO).
            ~Nick

Comment

• ht_addict
              • Dec 2002

This was certainly not Indiana Jones meets Bond. This was just the same old crap :toilet: brought too us under a different name. Check your brain at the door, grab yourself a beer or a two-four. Its a definite popcorn opcorn: flick and thats it. Rent only.

Comment

• Nick M
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Nov 2004

In my opinion it had the same old Bond-type armageddon story along with racing around a foreign continent with fun gadgets and a beautiful woman. Plenty of stunts as well. I label Bond and Indiana Jones films in the "Check Your Brain" category too.

A fun couple hours in my opinion. No reason to get wound up... :T
                Certainly not on par with the Indiana Jones trilogy, but much better than the last Bond installment from "Iceland", and atleast as good as some of the other Bond titles.
                ~Nick

Comment

• Azeke
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2003

Checked it out, a rent worthy, brain dump, but does not merit a purchase.

2 1/2 out of 5 stars for action.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• H.Donald
                    • Aug 2004

My 11 and 13 year olds went to see it....they didn't like it.....which is usually means the opposite.Think I'll wait till HBO.

Comment

• ajpoe
                      • Jul 2004

I watched it last night. My girlfriend enjoyed it more than I did... but it wasn't a waste of time. Did anyone else feel that the low end was really lacking? Especially with all the scenes where you'd expect more.
                      AJPoe - - Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

Comment

• gostan
                        • May 2003

Sahara Sinks In The Sand

Clive Cussler's Dirk Pitt novels have long been a favorite summer retreat for me. Unfortunately, Sahara did nor prove to be much of a early fall respite last evening.

For me the "tongue in cheek" was overdone. I do not really recall a Dirk Pitt novel where he failed to donn the scuba gear. How could that happen here? i know that there is limited ability in a 2 hour movie to recreate a 20 year book series. But, is Matthew McConaughey a believable Dirk Pitt wannabee. I am not sure - maybe a younger Harrison Ford would have been a choice. I think that it is very difficult to bring a fictional book icon to the big screen. Certainly, the attempts to recreate Travis McGee and Spenser have all failed.

Yes, Dirk rescued the damsel scientist in distress. But, where is the real Al Giordino when we really needed him. The movie itself was a little slow and seemed to me to be much more like a made for tv flick than a big screen theatrical release.

2 of 5 stars at best.
                        Stan

Comment

• Shane Martin
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Apr 2001

I had a fun time watching this but at the same time I don't wish to see it again. It's a good one time rental. It drags far too often to make it worth a purchase.

2.5 out of 5 seems accurate.

Comment

• Azeke
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by ajpoe
                            I watched it last night. My girlfriend enjoyed it more than I did... but it wasn't a waste of time. Did anyone else feel that the low end was really lacking? Especially with all the scenes where you'd expect more.
                            Yes, I certainly did, the overall SQ was subpar, IMHO.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jan 2001

Well I saw this over the weekend. Turned out better than I expected, but I agree with Shane that the film would benefit with some tighter editing. If it came in at 95 to 105 minutes, it would have much more rewatchability IMHO. Looking for treasure on land rather than in the sea was a diffferent twist for a Dirk Pitt story. I also liked the more realistic, rather than cartoonish approach to the bad guys.

PQ wasn't bad, but the sound was very disappointing, especially in the LFE.
                              My Homepage!

Comment

• Lex
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Apr 2001

I went into the cellar, and yanked this one out. It may be easier now than ever to either like or hate this film on BD (Blue Ray) high definition. I found the transfer to be reasonably well done for Blue Ray, the sound was likely a bit better than you experienced with the older standard DVD version, but I'll really have to rewatch with all my senses plugged in to give you a highly accurate feel for how the movie comes across.

Overall, I enjoyed it as fairly mindless action and fun that you were never quite sure exactly where it would lead next. Not a film I'd watch real often, but I have no regrets on the purchase for some fun and explosive high def action.
                                Doug
                                "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• WillyD
                                  • Feb 2006

I actually enjoyed this film, for the same reasons mentioned above. It was great mindless adventure.

Comment

• DL86
                                    • Sep 2005

I enjoyed the film and seen it about 3-4 times with freinds and I didnt think the sound quality was that bad. LFE I thought was good and I dont even have a subwoofer, i send the bass to my paradigm studio 100's.

Comment

• Chris D
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Dec 2000

Did I never respond to this one? I really, really, did NOT like this one. Any movie that puts an American civil war battleship, nuclear plant, Africa, and the Sahara desert all together in the same location just is destined for lameness, IMHO.
                                      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                      - Pleasantville

Comment

• Nick M
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Nov 2004

Well The Sahara and Africa kinda go together, and I can see having the giant solar-station in a desert... but the Civil War Submarine was a bit out there... :rofl:
                                        ~Nick

Comment

• Lex
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Apr 2001

it wasn't a nuclear plant, it was a solar chemical reprocessing center. Dunno how that works, heh. Hey, it works about as well as any other mindless adventure. Who cares if it's realistic. is it fun, that's what counts and was Penelope' hot, that's what really counts, haha.
                                          Doug
                                          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"