X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Deano
    • Aug 2004

Lexicon MC8 Vs Bryston 1.7 or Halo C2

Hey guys,

I have just about made a decision. I wanted the Bryston 1.7 then the Halo C2, but I think I am going to get the Lexicon MC8. I don't really know what I am doing!!!!! Some feed back would be great as I am about to take the plunge!
  • jimmyp58
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

I think you need to think all this through as far as your needs go for starters. Each forum's owners will have their bias and tell you the Halo C2 is the way to go or the Lexicon, or 1.7. But it is what YOU need.

As has been written a few times here, the SP 1.7 isn't for everyone. Why? Few features particularly in the video switching arena. But if you don't need these type of features, man, the 1.7 is hard to beat. Take a peek at the review I wrote and it'll give you some direction as to how I auditioned a few pre/pros and decided on the 1.7.

The best advice I can give is to take a listen for yourself. Try to find a dealer that carries your speakers and/or amp so that you have a somewhat fair comparison to what you have at home.

Find out what each manufacturer's tendencies are. That is, what is their design philosophy. I have friends that rave about Lexicon. Great company, great reputation, great history, great products, cutting edge, but somewhat 'manufactured' sound particularly in the surrounds. Bryston is a phenomenal company all around too in all the same aspects and 20 year warranty. Clear, clean and natural sound. Not known for pushing the envelope, rather conservative.

Can't comment much about Parasound other than I read all the raves from the owners.

Jim
    jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• jimmyp58
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2003

So Deano, what did you go for?

Jim

Comment

• fizzking
        • Aug 2004

Krell & Yamaha Tech Help needed

Hey jimmy,
        I live in Sydney and the four stores who distribute Brystion did not have it on show. Seemed too hard to go down that track.

Looking for longivity I walked into a very professional dealer and walked out with a Krell HTS 7.1. I got a great price, 25% off the retail price. It worked out a far better deal than even the Lexicon MC8 balanced that would have cost me about the same price. I felt the Krell was the best buy I could get in Sydneys restrictive market.

By the way I have only started to tweak it, in stereo mode it it has such depth, clarity and precision. I sit in front of it with a big smile on my face. The transeriency is nothing like I have never heard before.

Just hoping in theatre mode it is as good a I am hoping for. I haven't got it fully running yet. As I have posted elsewhere i am trying to run the new pre processor centre channel and rear channels through my old yamaha amp. Doesn't sound as good as I had hoped. Does the volumn control an the yamy make much difference where it is set?

You tech heads advice would be appreciated

Fizzman

Comment

• fizzking
          • Aug 2004

me

Jimmy,

I am now fizzking

Comment

• brucek
            HTG Expert
            • Aug 2000

i am trying to run the new pre processor centre channel and rear channels through my old yamaha amp. Doesn't sound as good as I had hoped. Does the volumn control an the yamy make much difference where it is set?
            You're going to need to provide more details here.

You have a power amplifier with volume control? -- or do you have an old yamaha receiver that you have access to the power amp section through the rear jacks?

brucek

Comment

• jimmyp58
              Super Senior Member
              • Aug 2003

Great job my man...you probably can't find Bryston (I didn't know you were in Australia) because it is ridiculously out of control --- price-wise. Your distributor is killing you guys if you want their products. Super great choice on the Krell.

You are going to be doing some tweaking, no doubt about it. I wish I could help you with the Yammy but I know nothing about it.

Happy listenings....

Jim

Comment

• fizzking
                • Aug 2004

Thanks guys

I rang Yamaha today. Instead of using the external decoder imput. He told me to use the main Coupliers. Just remove the bars and use the imputs.
                This by passes everthing except the amplifiers. Noticed a big difference already.

Thanks again folks.

Comment

• fizzking
                  • Aug 2004

Jimmy

I appreciated your feed back on the Bryston S.P. 1.7. They pretty much make it a big effort to buy their stuff here. They need to pull their socks up.

I am happy with the way I went.

Comment

• jimmyp58
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Aug 2003

You should be, the Krell is a heck of a unit!

Jim

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    😂
                    🥰
                    😘
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😞
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"