• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dmantis
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jun 2004

Definitive Technology Speakers.

Hello all,
    if anyone is interested in talking about Def Tech speakers, this would be a cool place to do so. Pic's and stories are welcome.

mantis
  • Dmantis
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jun 2004

Ok I'll go first.

I just made the switch to Definitive Technology speakers. I picked up the Mythos St front's 10 center and 10 rears. I have Installed the rears and fronts so far so I will share some pic's.

Grills on , Grills off.

Just grills off.

One other thing I would like to talk about is the wiring on the towers. Mythos or even BP owners , what do you do with your wiring? If you look at my pic's, I used velco wrapping. It's not my favorite way to manage those wires but I'd like to come up with a better way or see what you guys have done.

Comment

• raider
      • Dec 2004

Still running my BP30s With the bpvx for surrounds and phase tech center (it fits in the low boy cabnet below my pro 150 fd plasma )With an Anthem P5 powering all speakers @ 325w per channel,Rotel 1098 pre pro and 05 elite BR player. :T

Pics to follow if anyone is interested!

Edit: I don't know how I forgot about this but I also have 2 Reference Cubes as well :T
      Last edited by raider; 29 August 2009, 10:04 Saturday.
      It Is What It Is 8)

Comment

• Dmantis
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by raider
        Still running my BP30s With the bpvx for surrounds and phase tech center (it fits in the low boy cabnet below my pro 150 fd plasma )With an Anthem P5 powering all speakers @ 325w per channel,Rotel 1098 pre pro and 05 elite BR player. :T

Pics to follow if anyone is interested!
        Yeah the BP30's are nice and I would like to see your setup, go for it man.

:T

Comment

• Dmantis
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jun 2004

I thought there would be more Def Tech owners in here. I'm surprised. Excellent theater speakers. They are still breaking in so I have not really judged them for music just yet. But a full review will be coming. Stay tuned.

Comment

• M.Roberts8
            • Jan 2006

I'm Running BP2004's (older ones) CLR 2002, 2 sets of BP2X's (one set isn't hung yet) So I'm only running 5.1. Sub is a Mirage BPS-400 Dual 12" (no longer made).

My brother is running BP 7001SC, CLR 3000, One set of BPVX's and One set of BP2X's, Mirage BPS-400 sub.

I don't have decent pics of either set up right now.

Comment

• Dmantis
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jun 2004

Just ran into this thread ,
              I saw the sold TV and decided to post a more up to date pic. Not to mention if anyone wants to talk about Def Tech.

Comment

• madmac
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Dmantis
                Just ran into this thread ,
                I saw the sold TV and decided to post a more up to date pic. Not to mention if anyone wants to talk about Def Tech.

The center channel speaker will perform much better if put under the TV rather than high above it. Just raise the TV six inches and put the center under it. Trust me.....I'll sound and perform better, both for music and HT. :T

ps...Nice setup!!
                Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Dmantis
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jun 2004

Originally posted by madmac
                  The center channel speaker will perform much better if put under the TV rather than high above it. Just raise the TV six inches and put the center under it. Trust me.....I'll sound and perform better, both for music and HT. :T

ps...Nice setup!!
                  Thanks for the advise but I had it there and ran it for awhile. I prefer it above as it disappears in the room. On the cabinet it called attention to itself. Think first order reflections.

Actually I'm a Audio video Installer / Programmer have have been over 13 years. I've done above , below and behind screens with center channels. Room dependent placement is key.

Comment

• madmac
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2010

Thanks for the advise but I had it there and ran it for awhile. I prefer it above as it disappears in the room. On the cabinet it called attention to itself. Think first order reflections.

Actually I'm a Audio video Installer / Programmer have have been over 13 years. I've done above , below and behind screens with center channels. Room dependent placement is key.

You see, under the TV, the center is more 'on plane' with the mains, which in my opinion 'should' deliver better sonic results (consistency in sound timbre) and seamless transitions between the left, center, and right speakers. The only thing is that you have to bring the center forward to the edge on the cabinet to avoid reflections off the bass of it. It's too far back.

Comment

• Dmantis
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jun 2004

Have you heard the Mythos 10 Mounted above a display? It's completely gone in the room. It calls no attention to itself and everything on screen sounds like it's coming right out of the screen. I also have 14 foot ceilings in this room so there is no first order reflection off the ceiling.
                      I've had center channels under the Tv in different setups and prefer this setup with these speakers. The Mythos 10 has a very wide dispersion pattern and really does a good job in it's place.
                      Again I thank you for your suggestions but as I said I'm a professional Home theater Installer and have been for over 13 years. I've been trained by the best in the business and from many speaker companies about placement , calibration , etc. There is no absolute one way to set up the center channel. Ear height , the 2 foot tweeter rule , above ,below or behind always works depending on the room.
                      Actually I was considering trying out the BP8080HD center that came out last year and from what my rep tells me and what Iv'e head myself , it's a perfect match to the ST towers and can be used as a center channel. It's powered and crystal clear with excellent coverage on and off axis. This would force me to raise up my Kuro about 6 or 7 inches and then my center would live on top of the cabinet. I would be intrigued to try out a powered center. 3 woofers working together in the front sound stage is always amazing for bass coverage in the room.
                      Side note , what do you have going on in your system?

Comment

• madmac
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2010

Have you heard the Mythos 10 Mounted above a display? It's completely gone in the room. It calls no attention to itself and everything on screen sounds like it's coming right out of the screen. I also have 14 foot ceilings in this room so there is no first order reflection off the ceiling.
                        I've had center channels under the Tv in different setups and prefer this setup with these speakers. The Mythos 10 has a very wide dispersion pattern and really does a good job in it's place.
                        Again I thank you for your suggestions but as I said I'm a professional Home theater Installer and have been for over 13 years. I've been trained by the best in the business and from many speaker companies about placement , calibration , etc. There is no absolute one way to set up the center channel. Ear height , the 2 foot tweeter rule , above ,below or behind always works depending on the room.
                        Actually I was considering trying out the BP8080HD center that came out last year and from what my rep tells me and what Iv'e head myself , it's a perfect match to the ST towers and can be used as a center channel. It's powered and crystal clear with excellent coverage on and off axis. This would force me to raise up my Kuro about 6 or 7 inches and then my center would live on top of the cabinet. I would be intrigued to try out a powered center. 3 woofers working together in the front sound stage is always amazing for bass coverage in the room.
                        Side note , what do you have going on in your system?
                        Dmantis, whatever works and sounds better to you is what really matters :T
                        My TV is a RPT so it's actually sitting on a stand. My rather large center channel speaker is directly below it on a shelf angled slightly upward. However it is moved very forward....almost poking out of it. There are no side walls to color the sound, only the TV above it. Sounds great!!!

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"