X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Cambridge Audio Owners

Any Cambridge Audio owners out there? I'd sure like to hear what you think about the brand. Those new CD players look pretty sweet.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • Bugsy
    • Feb 2004

Hi Chris, I have owned the Cambridge Audio Azur 640c version 2, purchased new, for about a month now and am very happy with it. Build quality is good (not much plastic), it looks good and sounds good too. I tried several other brands of CDP's in my home and decided to keep the Azur. I use it in a two channel stereo rig, with a Halo A21 and P3, and Totem Acoustic Rainmaker speakers in an 20' x 14' x 8' room. I have about 120 hours of use on it and it has worked perfectly. I like all music except rap and hip hop and use it every day. One player I never got to audition is the Rotel 1072 as there is no dealer in my town but I would have otherwise as it has good reviews. HTH, Cheers.

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Bugsy - sweeeeeeet. Great that you posted that, especially as I'm considering doing the same thing--I've been starting to look for a CD player that would be a good match for either a Halo P3, A23, and T3, or the Parasound Zcustom Zpre2, Zampv3, and Ztuner. Would be an office setup when I have an office job, or a 2-channel system if I bring it home. I haven't found a good match yet for the Zcustom stack, but the Azur 640c v2 looks great to me. Definitely on my short list.
      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• DrJRapp
        Super Senior Member
        • Apr 2003

I had a CA 640C v1 that was really excellent. Unfortunatly, I got the upgrade bug and sold and bought a Jolida JD100. The Jolida was a dissapointment so I sold it and am waiting for something better to hit the market.
        Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• asimov66
          • Apr 2006

Hi i've owned a Cambride Azur dvd 57 for 2 years now and i have had no problems.
          Now it's been banished to the case beacuse i've upgraded to a Rotel RDV 1050E.

But for the money The CA will still be the winner...

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

Jerry-- did you get the "something better" we had talked about?
            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• DrJRapp
              Super Senior Member
              • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Chris D
              Jerry-- did you get the "something better" we had talked about?
              Not yet...and I can now reveal that the something better is the new Cambridge 840C. From it's specs it should be a hellava player, especially when considering CAs recent track record.
              Last edited by Chris D; 21 July 2015, 22:45 Tuesday.
              Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Paul H
                • Feb 2004

Originally posted by asimov66
                Hi i've owned a Cambride Azur dvd 57 for 2 years now and i have had no problems.
                Now it's been banished to the case beacuse i've upgraded to a Rotel RDV 1050E.

But for the money The CA will still be the winner...

As a CA dvd player owner I'm curious - what did the Rotel improve on? Tell us more please.

Paul

Comment

• bleeding ears
                  • Nov 2004

Jerry , you have been a little quiet lately around here, did you ever post your opinions on your new speakers, maybe I missed it.

Be sure to tell us more about the CA 840, also could you tell us what the list price on one of these is ?

Pete

Comment

• audiojunky
                    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by bleeding ears
                    Be sure to tell us more about the CA 840, also could you tell us what the list price on one of these is ?
                    Attached Files

Comment

• DrJRapp
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Apr 2003

Originally posted by bleeding ears
                      Jerry , you have been a little quiet lately around here, did you ever post your opinions on your new speakers, maybe I missed it.

Pete
                      I've posted my opinion on The Summits in bits and pieces thruout various threads. They are without a doubt one of the best speakers I have ever heard. I do realize that not everyone can deal with their high definition and amazing ability to show up weaknesses in the electronics chain feeding them.

The CA 840 is MSRP at about $1500 so I understand. Still waiting to hear that mine is ready to ship.
                      Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• bleeding ears
                        • Nov 2004

Thanks Jerry, we will be awaiting your impressions of the new cd player.
                        Pete

Comment

• Ovation
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Sep 2004

I have a CA 540D DVD-A/V player and I love it. I bought it to be my CD player (I already had a DVD player picked out) after auditioning it against the equally priced 540C V1 two years ago. As a bonus, it is region-free and its layer change is very fast (and it has an equal PQ as my other player) so it has become my main DVD player as well. My Marantz DV6400 does hi-res audio duties only (and the occasional rental movie whose scratches hang up the 540D).

I run it through my receiver's PURE AUDIO bypass via its analogue outputs and (another bonus) I have it configured in 2.1 mode so my sub stays active. When compared to my Marantz for CD playback (and my receiver), it is a touch less bass heavy but it creates a wider soundstage--which I like. Bottom line, the only players I've heard that would be notably better for CD playback are at least 3 times the price where I live. This is a player that will be in my rack for the long haul.

Comment

• Qruzer
                            • Jan 2007

Well I'm late to the game for this post, but it might be relevant. I do own a 3910 and I was able to extensively test the 840c to it. It was my original impression that stuck. I was loading my 840c after listening to a CD in the 3910 and wondered why the guitar had suddenly vanished from the center or the audio field, while it was still there the 3910 could not give me the 3-d imaging effect of the 840c. Amazing. I did this test over and over.

Dynamically the 840 was clearer and the bass had completely tightened up. Redbook CDs have become completely alive compared to the 3910. I was very skeptical bringing the 840C home that I would hear such a dramatic difference between the dacs. The 3910 will be used for multi channel formats (SACD-DVD-A)

Comment

• Chris D
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Dec 2000

You're making it harder for me to stay away from a 840c. Dang you...
                              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Qruzer
                                • Jan 2007

Let me revise...

Upon further testing I noticed that I was comparing the 840c to my Denon 3806 Denon link to the Denon 3910.

Using the pre-outs of the Denon 3910 the sound was dramatically better. Whew...what was I thinkin? Sorry about the above post. The sound fields compared very closely. The 3910 absolutely recreated the same sound stage of the 840C. 3-d imaging was greatly improved.

Now for a real apples to apples comparison of analog outs and sound performance. The 840C has a better sound. With both disk drawers open, I set out with the same tests once again. The timbre of the mid range has a warmer feel. The musical recreation of the 840C are slightly more engaging. The 3910 rounds out notes in the mid range level compared to the 840C. There is just a little more of a open subtle feel which brings the sounds together with the 840C.

Don't get me wrong, the 3910 sound quality is STILL fantastic even with Redbook. Somehow I wished this purchased proved that the 840c would dominate the comparison. The 840c did not do that, but at this level of performance the 840c was just that much better to make me completely satisfied with this purchase. I have plenty of SACDs and DVDS that I will still enjoy with the 3910 for quite a while.

Redbook now has a new home with the 840C. Heck in the amount of time saved starting a disk with the 840c, I'll be able to hear LOTS more music. That 3910 is sooooo slow. Trying to compare was killing me due to the long loading time of the 3910.

CDs used to compare:
                                Michael McDonald Motown Two - SACD 3910 - CD Layer 840c
                                Oscar Peterson / Dizzy Gillespie - Heritage Jazz
                                Bonnie Raitt - Souls Alike
                                FourPlay - Between The Sheets
                                Yellow Jackets - Twenty Five

Comment

• spyboy
                                  • Jun 2005

I have 2 pairs of Cambridge Soundworks surround speakers. One pair is switchable from dipole to bipole with the flick of a switch. The other pair are straight dipoles. I am only using the switchable pair right now. One of these days, when I set up my Denon 5803A receiver, I want to set up a 7.1 system.

I can't wait to see how the 7.1 set-up will sound. Especially with a pair of HSU VTF-3HOs + Turbos.

Comment

• eddiespaghetti
                                    • Sep 2006

Anyone have experience with the CA DVD89? I am considering getting one to do multi-channel audio and dvd playback.

Comment

• GregLett
                                      • May 2005

DacMagic

Just ordered their new DAC to check it out. Has anyone here tried one?

Greg

Comment

• DrJRapp
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Apr 2003

Originally posted by GregLett
                                        Just ordered their new DAC to check it out. Has anyone here tried one?

http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/summar...Title=DacMagic
                                        Greg

I've been curious about that one...let me know what you think...
                                        Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• GregLett
                                          • May 2005

Originally posted by DrJRapp
                                          Greg

I've been curious about that one...let me know what you think...
                                          Will do. I Hope to have it this coming week.
                                          Greg

Comment

• PewterTA
                                            • Nov 2004

I've got/had the CA 640c V1, V2, and now 840c.

All are top quality for the price of them. Definitely can't believe how much of a difference each step up was. The 840c is an amazing CDP. I'm now thinking if doing a RAM modification to the CDP that will make it an untouchable CDP for anything under ~$20k. :T
                                            Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                                            -Dan

Comment

• Thirsty93
                                              • Jan 2009

I have a cd6 that I bought in 97.Still sounds great,looking to upgrade the powercord :T
                                              Your sound room is only limited by the amount of money in your pocket.

Comment

• Lex
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Apr 2001

I have two Cambridge Audio alarm clock/radio/CD wake up machines, that I positively think are the best wake up machines I've ever owned. I actually had 1 in use, and 1 new in box. Finally decided it was time to use both (my two alarm system), as my old JVC alarm system got to where I couldn't count on it. Weird. They sort of remind me of like the Bose Wave radios to look at them, auto time set too if power goes off and on. Just sharing a little love for the brand.

Bummer, doesn't look like they sell those anymore, at least not on their site.

Oh, well this is them for sale somewhere, though I know nothing about this retailer:

Doug
                                                "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• skuzzyb
                                                  • Mar 2006

I own the Cambridge Audio 840C, I use the DACs in the Ca and use the analog out to my pre/pro. After comparing the CA840C to the Classe CDP, I could not justifying paying that much more for a Classe, the 840C is that good. I think it is punching way about its weight.

I know that until I can convince the significant other that I need an Audio Research Reference CD8, the 840 is as good as it gets for me.

skz

Comment

• GregLett
                                                    • May 2005

finally

Originally posted by GregLett
                                                    Will do. I Hope to have it this coming week.
                                                    If you can believe it, I just got my hands on the dac. I guess my distributor is not that high on the food chain. Impressions to come!
                                                    Greg

Comment

• uwechristiaens
                                                      • Apr 2010

hello everybody. I'm new here and I have a question about the combi 840a v2 and the 840c, connected with unbalanced cables vdh d102mkiii and speakers b&w 602s3 connected with qed silver anniversary xt. still the sound doesn't come completely to live, what am I doing wrong?

Comment

• jack barriere
                                                        • Nov 2010

I have a C640V2 for over 2 years and its just great for the money. But since I picked up a Dacmagic I rarely use the CDP any more. The Cambridge DAC is scary for the money. :T

Comment

Working...
                                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                        Search Result for "|||"