X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jnorth1178
    • Feb 2006

Rotel to Cambridge?

I presently own a Rotel RC 1072. I am thinking of buying the new Cambridge Azur 740c. My Stereo Guru says that this would definitely improve the quality of sound in my system. My system includes: Primaluna Prologue Three Pre amp. Anthem MCA 20 amp, B7W 8-5s speakers. I would like to get ideas from you fellows in the Forum. You have given me sage advise before which has helped me in the building of my 2 channel stereo system. It sounds great but just wondered if a more sophisticated CD would nudge in a little higher. JNorth 1178
  • gianni
    • Nov 2002

If you are looking for dramatic differences, you are going to be disapointed, CD player technology has been well understood for some time now. Be prepared to spend 2 or 3 times the price of your 1072 before expecting significant differences and even then they may be system dependent. You may here a difference with sub $1,500 players, but they are mostly that. Rather than improvements they may offer a slightly different flavor.

Unless, you are able to get a full refund, I would try to demo one (740c) in your system. This is the only real way to know, regardless of what any 'Guru' says.

Comment

• GregLett
      • May 2005

I sold my RCD 1072 when I purchased my Prologue 3. The PrimaLuna exposed the weakness in the cd player. To my ear, the detail was there but the sound lacked body, seemed a bit thin.
      I now have a Jolida JD100 player. I think you should give it a listen first. I haven't heard the Cambridge, but it was, is a player of interest.
      Also if you haven't done so try changing out the stock tubes in the three.
      I just did that..WOW!
      Greg

Comment

• Jnorth1178
        • Feb 2006

Greglett: I am new to tube equipment. What were the tubes you switched to? Was it expensive? I guess by your comment it did make quite a difference. JNorth1178

Comment

• GregLett
          • May 2005

jnorth,

the tubes were around $300 for all six. I forget exactly what they were i'll look tonight. I have two 12AU7 tubes that I purchased for the Jolida that I'm not using, if you like I can let you try those.
          Greg

Comment

• Jnorth1178
            • Feb 2006

Greglett: Thanks for the offer of the Jolida tubes. I am not quite there yet. Still considering what to do re; cd replacement. Would like to know the tubes you used in replacing the originals in the primaluna though. If it is not too much trouble. Thanks. JNorth1178

Comment

• GregLett
              • May 2005

JNorth1178,

I will look tonight, didn't get a chance to last night.
              Greg

Comment

• GregLett
                • May 2005

The 12AX7's are HP
                the two 12AU7 tubes are HP
                Not sure about the 5AR4 I've sent the guy an email
                to find out.
                Greg

Comment

• GregLett
                  • May 2005

Originally posted by GregLett
                  The 12AX7's are HP
                  the two 12AU7 tubes are HP
                  Not sure about the 5AR4 I've sent the guy an email
                  to find out.
                  5AR4 are JJ's what ever that is
                  Greg

Comment

• Jnorth1178
                    • Feb 2006

Greglett: Thanks. I will pusue this farther. JNo5th1178

Comment

• soundhound
                      • Mar 2004

I am with Greg, going from your ss cdp to a tubed unit like the Jolida can be a jaw dropping experience.
                      The JD 100 can be had somewhat "cheaply" on the agon or epay market, and may trip your trigger with the oem tubes.
                      Tubes add a realistic substance to music that once you acheive, you can't get away from.
                      The JJ's are JJ tesla's which are mass produced and can be found easily, as well as reasonably.
                      Last edited by soundhound; 07 May 2007, 06:36 Monday.

Comment

• Jnorth1178
                        • Feb 2006

Soundhound; Thanks for your words of encouragement re; tubes. Wonder if you could suggest a couple of web sites where I could purcase said tubes? Again thanks. JNorth1178

Comment

• soundhound
                          • Mar 2004

Theres a guy in Chi town who is a gem to deal with on raw tubes.

The guys name is Brent Jesse, and I (amongst others) have had very good dealings with him.
                          I had tried a couple of others, and none were near the experience he was.
                          For a cdp you may want to try www.nextlevelav.com as the guys over there can set you up quite reasonably.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"