X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • evilbull55
    • Feb 2011

Cambridge Audio Azure 640c

My 640c isn't putting any sound out. Everything appears to be running, but just no audio. I also checked to be sure it wasn't muted using the remote, but that isn't it either. I Checked it out thouroughly, and can't find anything obvious. Any of you had the same trouble?
  • Johnloudb
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2007

Hi, it sounds broken. Don't throw it out yet as I'm not familiar with the player - maybe someone else is.

After I clicked on this thread I noticed a Cambridge Audio add in the "Ads by Google" banner. Amazing how that happens! :B
    Last edited by Johnloudb; 18 February 2011, 23:50 Friday.
    John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• wkhanna
      Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

Sorry to hear you are having trouble.

I have never had an problems with my 640c V2.

Have you tried the both the analog & digital outputs?
      _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
      ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• evilbull55
        • Feb 2011

No clue how to check digital outs. Wish I had a scope.

Comment

• PewterTA
          • Nov 2004

There's two ports on the back of the CDP, one is a digital output needing a TOSlink cable (fiber optic cable), the other is an Digital Coaxial connection. It looks like a regular RCA cable (same as you use for your analog outputs, you can even use one enough to test). Just take it and hook one or both into your receiver and see if you get sound on those inputs. If you have a complete Analog setup and no digital inputs, if you have a new TV it probably has a TOSlink input on it you can use to see.
          Digital Audio makes me Happy.
          -Dan

Comment

• bobola
            • Feb 2011

I have a 640c version2 with the same problem. When it was a little over 1 year old, it started distorting from the analag output. I had it fixed under warranty. Six months ago the analog output completely quit, but both optical and coax digital outputs work fine. The player is now 4.5 years old, and an estimate for repair from the U.S. distributers came in at ~$150, plus shipping. Since I don't think they fixed it correctly to begin with, I decided to not have it repaired and to stay away from Cambridge Audio products going forward.

Good luck!

Comment

• HarrietFlorence
              • Apr 2011

Cambridge Audio 640C V2 Azur

Hello, ive had same problem, i put disk in, everything okay ( always seemed to be a bit slugish and occasionally not play a disk but i overlooked that) pressed play, tracks came up started playing, NO sound coming out though. turned it on / off and changed the input on the c/a amplifier to see whether it was a faulty connection . dident make a difference. plugged my amp and speakers into my telly, the speakers worked perfect. so its def the cd player. this cost me like £300 and richersounds are wanting £40 for repair as its just out of warranty, is there anything i can do, the speakers work, its the cd player.

HELLLLPPPPPP!!!!

X

Comment

• madmac
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2010

Good Mfr's stand by their products. Cambridge equipment costs more so therefore people expect better than a CD player lasting only 4.5 years when they buy their product. My Marantz is way over 10 years old and still running great. I had an Oppo dvd player that crapped out on me after 2 years past the warranty and they fixed it for free and paid return shipping. Rotel gave me another receiver when mine malfunctioned after almost 5 years. If Cambridge is happy if their players stop working after 4 years then they are going to be in trouble because it looks, based on this thread that there is a defect in the analog stage of this player. That's what this forum is for......to be informed about bad products and good one's.
                Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Takao Oikawa
                  • May 2011

I used to own a Cambridge 640A V2. Sonicly, it was fine for its price range (fairly priced) however I found built quality disappointing.

Comment

• wkhanna
                    • Jan 2006

Welcome to the Forum, Takao!

I’m curious as to what specifically you found lacking in the build quality.

How long did you own and use it?

Was it a v1 (single DAC) or a v2 (duel DAC)?

Did it ever malfunction while you had it?

What did you replace it with?

Regards,
                    _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• r100gs
                      • May 2005

Auditioning a new 740c, hope she holds out for the long run. I still have my external dac hooked up so I can do an A/B comparison while using the 740 as a transport with a flick of a switch.
                      Jay

Comment

• wkhanna
                        • Jan 2006

IIRC, didn’t you just resurrect your CDp by replacing the laser yourself?

The 740 has great reviews. I have the 640 v2 and have heard the 840 in my system when Dan (PewterTA) brought his over for a day's worth of listening.

Are you using a Xindak DAC-3 dac?
                        How do you like it?
                        Where did you get it?

I’ll be interested in how it compares to the 740. I am in search of a DAC currently as I peruse implementing HiRes via a dedicated hard drive.
                        _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• r100gs
                          • May 2005

Originally posted by wkhanna
                          IIRC, didn’t you just resurrect your CDp by replacing the laser yourself?

The 740 has great reviews. I have the 640 v2 and have heard the 840 in my system when Dan (PewterTA) brought his over for a day's worth of listening.

Are you using a Xindak DAC-3 dac?
                          How do you like it?
                          Where did you get it?

I’ll be interested in how it compares to the 740. I am in search of a DAC currently as I peruse implementing HiRes via a dedicated hard drive.
                          My handy work on the laser replacement went well but did not last long. It took another dive on me. I bought the Xindak, $350 shipped from China, maybe 4 to 5 years back. I have always been impressed with it. I'm trying not to listen to the the dac too much because I'm very fond of its sound! Right now I'm giving the 740c a chance to break into my ears. The top end is very detailed and the bottom end is very nice also. It's the midrange, I will have to give it a chance. Time will tell, maybe 5 hours on the 740c right now. Thanks for the reply. :T
                          Jay

Comment

• wkhanna
                            • Jan 2006

From what I have read, 150 hours of burn-in is typical for this unit.

One of the features I like most on this unit is that it has two seperate digital inputs that up-sample the data.

Please keep us posted on your evaluations.

Enjoy!
                            _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• FALCONT
                              • Jun 2012

640c V2 No analog

R11 on the DAC/output pcb is 2K2 in value and goes high causing the mute relay to stay permanently on mute. Replace with a 1% metal film 0.6w (MRS25).

V1 board is different.

Comment

• Wage Slave
                                • Nov 2012

Originally posted by FALCONT
                                R11 on the DAC/output pcb is 2K2 in value and goes high causing the mute relay to stay permanently on mute. Replace with a 1% metal film 0.6w (MRS25).

V1 board is different.
                                Yes, bang on the money. Thank you so much. This was exactly what was wrong with my 640C and it is now working flawlessly again with a resistor from my odds and sods collection and an hour's work.

The stock item is 0.125 watt and it just burns out. Mine wasn't high, it was open circuit. I fitted a 0.5 watt carbon film about a quarter inch above the circuit board for extra cooling.

It doesn't help that it is near the smoothing caps and Cambridge decided to use lots of epoxy to secure them. It had a nice blanket of epoxy which didn't help cooling one bit. I still think it is underspecified though.

Comment

• r100gs
                                  • May 2005

Wage slave, That's great you got it fixed. :T
                                  Jay

Comment

• Wage Slave
                                    • Nov 2012

Thank you. I was very pleased. Something very satisfying about repairing something with just a part you have left over from other jobs.

Comment

• grinccaffe
                                      • Jan 2013

Cambridge 640C V2, no sound

Hi, greetings from Croatia.
                                      I have exactly the same problem with the Cambridge 640C V2. Digital output works normally, but do not let analog output sound (occasionally plays and then stops again). I see that a fellow Wage Slave fixed the problem (instructions from FALCONT) in a way that has replaced the factory resistor with 1% metal film 0.6W (MRS25). I want to buy a replacement resistor with 1% metal film 0.6W (MRS25) but I'm confused by the different (OHM) values. I'm afraid to fall off.
                                      What is the precise designation of the resistors?
                                      Thanks and greetings to all forum members.
                                      P.S.
                                      I forgot to point out that the supply voltage is 220V.

Comment

• Chris D
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Dec 2000

I do hope our guys can get that info for you to help you out...

BTW, my family heritage is from Split, Croatia!
                                        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                        - Pleasantville

Comment

• grinccaffe
                                          • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Chris D
                                          I do hope our guys can get that info for you to help you out...

BTW, my family heritage is from Split, Croatia!
                                          Chris thanks for the encouragement.
                                          BTW, Split is the most beautiful city on the Croatian Adriatic coast

Comment

• Chris D
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Dec 2000

Oops... I meant the family comes from near Split. A little town called Turjace, actually.
                                            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                            - Pleasantville

Comment

• wkhanna
                                              • Jan 2006

I was hoping Glen might see see this post & help us out.
                                              _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• grinccaffe
                                                • Jan 2013

Originally posted by grinccaffe
                                                Hi, greetings from Croatia.
                                                I have exactly the same problem with the Cambridge 640C V2. Digital output works normally, but do not let analog output sound (occasionally plays and then stops again). I see that a fellow Wage Slave fixed the problem (instructions from FALCONT) in a way that has replaced the factory resistor with 1% metal film 0.6W (MRS25). I want to buy a replacement resistor with 1% metal film 0.6W (MRS25) but I'm confused by the different (OHM) values. I'm afraid to fall off.
                                                What is the precise designation of the resistors?
                                                Thanks and greetings to all forum members.
                                                P.S.
                                                I forgot to point out that the supply voltage is 220V.
                                                Hello guys, (Wage Slave, FALCONT ...) are no longer reads the posts?
                                                I need help o fix my 640C V2 .

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                  • Jan 2006

I was hoping we would hear from someone with the correct answer to our question by now & help us out.

Do not give up yet, I will keep bumping the thread.

Have you tried contacting CA for guidance?
                                                  Maybe someone their would be willing to help give the spec.
                                                  Are there any electronic repair shops near you that may be able help?
                                                  _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• grinccaffe
                                                    • Jan 2013

I was hoping we would hear from someone with the correct answer to our question by now & help us out.

Do not give up yet, I will keep bumping the thread.

Have you tried contacting CA for guidance?
                                                    Maybe someone their would be willing to help give the spec.
                                                    Are there any electronic repair shops near you that may be able help?
                                                    Thanks for your support.
                                                    I have in my town authorized importer for CA but they give no information. They want me to bring the player back to them. This means (guarantee expired) at least $ 100 to determine the defect. In the experience of colleagues FALCONT and Wage Slave, I need to transform an existing resistor with replacement resistor with 1% metal film 0.6W (MRS25) that costs less than one U.S. dollar. Resistor can be purchased here in Croatia or through eBay but do not know (ohm) the exact value.
                                                    Mrs25-50 1 buy on Elcodis.com. Vishay MRS25 1.21 1%TR, MRS25 2.2 1%TR specification. Mrs25-50 1.

I hope that some of the forum members have the right information.
                                                    Best regaeds from Croatia

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • May 2007

Originally posted by grinccaffe
                                                      Thanks for your support.
                                                      I have in my town authorized importer for CA but they give no information. They want me to bring the player back to them. This means (guarantee expired) at least $ 100 to determine the defect. In the experience of colleagues FALCONT and Wage Slave, I need to transform an existing resistor with replacement resistor with 1% metal film 0.6W (MRS25) that costs less than one U.S. dollar. Resistor can be purchased here in Croatia or through eBay but do not know (ohm) the exact value.
                                                      Mrs25-50 1 buy on Elcodis.com. Vishay MRS25 1.21 1%TR, MRS25 2.2 1%TR specification. Mrs25-50 1.

I hope that some of the forum members have the right information.
                                                      Best regaeds from Croatia
                                                      Can you take a picture of the existing resistor and post it? Does it have color codes (colored bands around it)? You could tell me the colored bands and I could tell you the value.
                                                      John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• grinccaffe
                                                        • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Johnloudb
                                                        Can you take a picture of the existing resistor and post it? Does it have color codes (colored bands around it)? You could tell me the colored bands and I could tell you the value.
                                                        Thanks for the suggestion. I took the player to a friendly service (no cost), and I gave them instructions (I printed off the text from the forum) and wait for the information. I hope that, in my case, is also a problem in the resistor ;x(
                                                        I'll report the outcome
                                                        Best regards.

Comment

• Glen B
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Jul 2004

In post #15 Falcont said the resistor value is 2K2 or 2.2KΩ.

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                            • Jan 2006

Thanks to John & Glen both for helping us out.

Glen- I never knew K2K = 2.2

Now it makes sense.
                                                            _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• grinccaffe
                                                              • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Glen B
                                                              In post #15 Falcont said the resistor value is 2K2 or 2.2KΩ.
                                                              I have realized that the value (2K2 or 2.2KΩ) is from the existing resistor and it should be replaced with the replacement resistor with 1% metal film 0.6W (MRS25).

Comment

• Sootboots
                                                                • Oct 2013

I had the same problem. Found R11, removed it, showed to be burnt on the bottom and measured open. Replaced with same value, larger size, above the board for good heat dissiapation and now the CD player works again. Thanks to the brilliant minds that diagnosed this problem and came up with the repair!

John Pippy

Comment

• Wage Slave
                                                                  • Nov 2012

Sorry, I haven't popped back for a good while. Anyway, good to hear at least one other person has done this simple repair on their 640C. So, just to confirm, yes, the resistor in question is 2,200 ohms, 2.2k ohms and banded red/red/red to indicate that. It supplies power to the muting relay so when it burns out the relay doesn't operate and hence the output remains disconnected.

The type and tolerance is not critical in this position. It is nowhere near the signal path. As long as you find a resistor the right value and at least half a watt then you will be fine. There is plenty of room on the board and above the board so a bigger resistor fitted 10mm or so clear of the board is a piece of cake.

Anyone with basic soldering skills will be able to do it. All you need is:

A resistor (will cost 20c or so)
                                                                  A small torx screwdriver to take the lid off
                                                                  A soldering iron
                                                                  Something to desolder with - either a solder sucker or braid depending on your preference
                                                                  A pair of wire snippers to trim the leads
                                                                  A pair of long nose pliers

Simply take the top off. Look at the left hand side main board and find R11. It's near the big capacitors. Put an ohmmeter on it. If you get anything higher than 2.2k then it needs replacing. Unplug all the leads to the board taking a note of where they go. The longnose pliers are useful for this. Some may be a bit stubborn. Take your time and work them firmly but gently and they will come clear. The board is secured with about 4 small phillips head bolts from memory. Undo these and the board will come free. Flip it over and locate R11 again. Desolder it and remove. Fit the new resistor with an airgap, solder and trim. Re-assemble and test.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                    Mad Max Moderator
                                                                    • Aug 2000

Thanks for sharing this and posting in such detail. If you had any pics from when you did this work, I'm sure some folks would really appreciate it.

I don't have a 640C, but I do have several other pieces of Cambridge gear, most of which I have ben very pleased with their performance. Most recently I bought one of the 851E preamps, and I'd say they've taken both performance and build quality to a new level for Cambridge Audio. I got a 650BD Blu-Ray player for my GF, and she's been much happier with it than past players, especially because of general functionality and operation, but then too, it has very good picture quality on her Panasonic Plasma TV.

I guess the 651C is the new equivalent of the 640C.

Click image for larger version

Name:	g779651CS-F.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	939927

Recently I bought one of their 851e preamps, and it has been working out just fine, sounds great, and again, a lot of useful operational features, plus three sets of balanced inputs!

Name:	cambridge_audio_azure851e_rms_zps787f17c3.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	939928

Name:	cambridge_audio_azure851e_rms5_zps66bbb8b3.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	939929

It's not audio jewelry build quality, but it's been stepped up quite a bit from the 40 series products like my older power amp and preamp.
                                                                    Last edited by theSven; 10 June 2023, 19:10 Saturday. Reason: Update image location
                                                                    the AudioWorx
                                                                    Natalie P
                                                                    M8ta
                                                                    Modula Neo DCC
                                                                    Modula MT XE
                                                                    Modula Xtreme
                                                                    Isiris
                                                                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                    Minerva Monitor
                                                                    Calliope
                                                                    Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                                                                    Obi-Wan
                                                                    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                                                                    Modula PWB
                                                                    Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                    Natalie P Ultra
                                                                    Natalie P Supreme
                                                                    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                                                                    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Wage Slave
                                                                      Junior Member
                                                                      • Nov 2012

Here's a couple of pictures I took at the time. In my case the resistor is smothered in glue from a glue gun used to secure the large smoothing capacitors at the factory. Not a pretty sight at all.

I think there was one or two bolts and a number of black plastic clips securing the board. Just squeeze on the clips to release them. Do that first and see if the board comes free. If not, then go ahead and remove the bolts. The dual Wolfson DACs are on the other side of the board if I remember correctly and can be admired when you do this little repair.

Name:	DSC04750.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	859407Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04738.jpg
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	859406

Comment

• creakypete
                                                                        Junior Member
                                                                        • Apr 2015

Thanks to FALCONT & Wage Slave I followed your advice and now have a working player again.

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                                          • Jan 2006
                                                                          • 5673

That is Great! :T
                                                                          _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• PewterTA
                                                                            Moderator
                                                                            • Nov 2004
                                                                            • 2901

Great to hear!!!!
                                                                            Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                                                                            -Dan

Comment

• synthi
                                                                              Junior Member
                                                                              • Feb 2017
                                                                              • 1

#39
                                                                              thanks to everyone and in particular the r11 suggesters!!

(my 640c was audio dead, and now is back at work again)

Comment

• Wage Slave
                                                                                Junior Member
                                                                                • Nov 2012
                                                                                • 9

#40
                                                                                Originally posted by synthi
                                                                                thanks to everyone and in particular the r11 suggesters!!

(my 640c was audio dead, and now is back at work again)
                                                                                Great to hear. Google doing it's magic again?

Comment

• neanderthal
                                                                                  Junior Member
                                                                                  • Sep 2017
                                                                                  • 3

#41
                                                                                  Just joined to say thanks to Wageslave and Falcont. Followed great instructions and my 640c is working again. Interestingly I ordered resistor from RS, 24 for £4 so replacement part was 16p vs cost of a new player! They accidently sent me 2 packs so now have 47 spare resistors! Happy to send one to anyone that needs one FOC for a donation to Cancer Research.

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                                                    • Jan 2006
                                                                                    • 5673

#42
                                                                                    Originally posted by neanderthal
                                                                                    ...........Followed great instructions and my 640c is working again............
                                                                                    i love to see a post like this........

well done, nean.......
                                                                                    Last edited by wkhanna; 04 March 2018, 14:58 Sunday.
                                                                                    _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Wage Slave
                                                                                      Junior Member
                                                                                      • Nov 2012
                                                                                      • 9

#43
                                                                                      Just looked back at my first post. Over 5 years ago! Anyway, my 640C worked perfectly for 5 years and then recently developed a problem with the drawer not wanting to open. The eject switch on the front is a bit hit and miss (I haven't been able to fix that with cleaner spray) but the eject button on the remote is fine. Googling around a bit I found drawer problems are almost always the result of a little rubber drive belt that becomes hard and distorted over time. Sure enough that's what my problem is. Here's a useful link:

Bluehost - Top rated web hosting provider - Free 1 click installs For blogs, shopping carts, and more. Get a free domain name, real NON-outsourced 24/7 support, and superior speed. web hosting provider php hosting cheap web hosting, Web hosting, domain names, front page hosting, email hosting. We offer affordable hosting, web hosting provider business web hosting, ecommerce hosting, unix hosting. Phone support available, Free Domain, and Free Setup.

The belt on the 640C is at the rear of the drive unit so you can't get at it from the front. Get the tray out by hook or by crook. Unless the belt has snapped (v unlikely) giving it a bit of help with a knife or something while pressing the button should do it. Disconnect the power and take off the top (mini torx screws). With the tray out there is enough room to get the belt out and fit a new one with a pair of tweezers or better an always very handy hook tool.

Name:	71f5BE8emJL._SX355_.jpg
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	863478

The belt is about 32mm by 2mm but you can buy variety pack and that seems like an excellent idea because then you are bound to have the right one and you will have spares for other drives around the house. Or an elastic band worked very well while I was waiting for the parts to arrive.

So, 12 years on my 640C is still working fine and I am still happy with the sound. It's hooked up to a refurbished/recapped Quad 303/33 (about 45 years old ) and Quad bookshelf speakers.

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                                                        • Jan 2006
                                                                                        • 5673

#44
                                                                                        Originally posted by Wage Slave

So, 12 years on my 640C is still working fine and I am still happy with the sound. It's hooked up to a refurbished/recapped Quad 303/33 (about 45 years old ) and Quad bookshelf speakers.
                                                                                        would luv to see pics!!!!
                                                                                        _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Wage Slave
                                                                                          Junior Member
                                                                                          • Nov 2012
                                                                                          • 9

#45
                                                                                          would luv to see pics!!!!

Name:	P1010688 - Copy.JPG
Size:	287.2 KB
ID:	863498Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010690 - Copy.JPG
Size:	253.1 KB
ID:	863499Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010691 - Copy.JPG
Size:	283.3 KB
ID:	863501Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010696 - Copy.JPG
Size:	295.0 KB
ID:	863502Click image for larger version

Name:	Quad 303 Top View - Copy.JPG
Size:	280.6 KB
ID:	863500

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"