.....a change, curious what you would do.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Patt
    • Feb 2005

.....a change, curious what you would do.

It is time to trade in my Paradigm Studio 40's because the sound does not cut the mustard anymore. They are boxed and ready to go back.

So far I feel my only options are:

1. trade up for a pair of RF7's or the RVX 54 to be used with an existing 125 watt amp and reciever.

2. trade up for a Krell integrated and use any old speakers for a while until more $$ is put back and wait for some "other" speakers.

3. cut my losses, sell the P-digms outright and find a decent pair of speakers more to my taste that is within the budget at this time.

I know the decision is totally mine and could be made without any suggestions from you guys, but maybe someone has an idea I've just not thought of yet. :idea:
    ......Pat
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hello Pat,

I'm curious what changed in the sound of the 40's that you are unhappy with now.

As far a making a decision, there was a time that I would have opt to change speakers first. But now, I more of the camp that, the up line items can make an equal difference. Usually, we take more time with speakers to find the sound that we like. Once that sonic is found, as you already now, the room, and associated gear are the factors that determine what we hear. I remember when I first put my current receiver in-line with my speakers( which were being used with another unit prior), to say I was shocked is an understatement. My bass has much more authority and the clarity and seperation was improved.

So, I guess you now know my take on what "I" would do next. :W
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Patt
      • Feb 2005

Hi John,

They sound never really changed, it is more like I just couldnt get used to the Paradigm sound, although for movies they were great. I auditioned the 40's with my modest 125 watt amp and reciever then with a 2500 dollar Krell integrated and believe it or not they had the same sound. Oh, they sounded much better alright just not something for me.

My other Klipsch 4.2 speakers sound great in the back room but when brought into the Liv. Rm. they sound muddy and just plain terrible. I am just now diving into this mysterious world of electronics and am suprised at what little changes will do for the sound.

Thanks for replying to this post, it is interesting what others say even though the final decisions have to be made by me.
      ......Pat

Comment

• John Holmes
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

It is nice to get opinions and or ideas from others. It does in some way or another make the decision process even more enjoyable.

They sound never really changed, it is more like I just couldnt get used to the Paradigm sound, although for movies they were great. I auditioned the 40's with my modest 125 watt amp and reciever then with a 2500 dollar Krell integrated and believe it or not they had the same sound. Oh, they sounded much better alright just not something for me.
        Ah, well, the good thing is, you know that you don't need to spend upwards of $2000.00 on processing. :T Strange that the horns didn't do well in the same room. any ideas why?
        "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Patt
          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by John Holmes
          :T Strange that the horns didn't do well in the same room. any ideas why?
          I'm guessing the dampening of the room has something to do with it.

Where they didnt sound so good the speakers face a huge picture window with very little curtains and the room is open on both ends and leather furniture.
          The good sounding room has heavy drapery over 3 walls with old 12"x12" acoustical tile stapled to the entire ceiling. It has fabric on all the furniture.

You mention something about 2000 dollars on processing. Do you mean amplification because these are only 2 channel systems? I seem to have a lot of options.

As a side note......it should be a challenge trying to get the proper amplification with the horns because with the wrong setup as some people have discovered (the horn can stand out :W ).
          ......Pat

Comment

• John Holmes
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Those are very different rooms for sure. Now I understand the drastic change in sound.

Yes_my mistake about the intergrated amp. Agreed, you have a ton of options there. Though I never spent any big money duing my two ch. days, I still have a nice (and old) Sansui AU-317 intergrated amp. It just sit's in the closet boxed up. It's been stored for about 6 yrs now. Oneday, I'll be able to setup a dedicated 2 ch system, with it as the heart.

I wish I could be more help with your Klipsch situation. But, I really have little experience with them. I did have a DCM center once that had a horn. It had a nice sound. I would have built my system around it but, I made the mistake of listening to my current M&K's and the rest.... :B

Comment

• Patt
              • Feb 2005

Hang on to that Sansui integrated....it is worth building around some day.
              ......Pat

Comment

• Cracking Oboe
                • May 2004

I'm using my old Sansui AU-D5 to power my rear speakers. It took me years to find equipment to replace it. Is it a waste to use the Sansui integrated amp for this purpose now?... I keep thinking I want it back in 2 channel service, but I thought that it may be more an emotional desire than a practical one.

To address your question, Patt... IMHO speaker selection is the most important thing. You can mess for years trying to make the speakers you have sound "right". We all have a different expectation of what is the "right" sound, so purchases made on good reviews from magazines and peers, and not on our own judgment are often wrong. I really thought I was going to own Paradigms one day, but after exhaustive listening tests, I purchased a different brand (and spent almost double the money I was preparing to spend). So... my advice... sell the paradigms after you have listened to many different speakers and picked the "right" sounding speaker (and saved up enough money to afford them) and start from there.

Cracking!
                Last edited by Cracking Oboe; 02 June 2005, 11:44 Thursday.

Comment

• John Holmes
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Thanks Patt, I'll do just that.

Hello Cracking Oboe,

IMO, it isn't a waste using the Sansui in that role. I think it's better to use it than have it gathering dust. If down the road you happen to stumble on the right deal for you, then change it out and start working on that 2 ch system.
                  I really don't need to use mine in my current setup but, if the need was there...

Comment

• Patt
                    • Feb 2005

I ended up with a pair of RF7's and am using the Sonograph to power them. The Sonograph has barely enough grunt and the horn is going to get a crossover treatment to help calm things down a bit in the high frequencies.

I thought about picking up another amp for the tweeters and use the existing for the woofers. I'm still not sure if it would make much of an improvment. Tubes are an option or something fully class A or just a powerful S.S amp to light those 7's up.

Time will tell......... :ball:
                    ......Pat

Comment

• John Holmes
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Congrats Patt! I hope it all comes together for you.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"