X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sugarmedia
    • Feb 2005

update: need amp advice

Hey gang,

I'm getting ready to buy my first hi-fi system and could use a little advice from some of the more experienced audio enthusiasts.

The speakers I have chosen are: Martin Logan Aeon-i (4 ohms).

My dealer suggested the following from Rotel combination.

• RC1090 preamp
    • RB1080 power amp.
    • CDplayer 1072

I felt that the Rotel amps didn't offer the bass response that I was looking for, and overall didn't make the ML's sing. But maybe that will all change once it's actually in my home in the correct environment.

Today I went and listened to Classe Cap-2100 Integrated Amplifier. Whoa! What a difference an amp can make and an integrated one at that. I was suprised at how the speakers seemed to literally come alive and the bass response was drastically improved. I want this one. I wanted it until I found out that it was 4,900 and my wife interjected and said, "Forget it."

The dealer then suggested as an alternative setup, "Musical Fidelity." Which would cost the exact same as the Rotel.
    • A308CD
    • A308AMP

I didn't get to listen to Musical Fidelity today, but also feel that by looks alone it's not as pleasing to the eye. Sort of bulky and old school industrial.

I also have not really heard any reviews of Musical Fidelity. Are they good? Are they "considered" better than Rotel?

So my conclusion is: Maybe I go for the Rotel, and in 2-3 years come back to the better stuff. Is that the best workaround if you were in my position?

(Please also keep in mind I just moved from the states to Europe and do not have the flexibility of trying these in my home first or looking for used products, as they are very scarce).

Thanks for your time and comments.
  • Frustrated
    • Jan 2005

A tech's perspective

Today I went and listened to Classe Cap-2100 Integrated Amplifier. Whoa! What a difference an amp can make and an integrated one at that. I was suprised at how the speakers seemed to literally come alive and the bass response was drastically improved. I want this one. I wanted it until I found out that it was 4,900 and my wife interjected and said, "Forget it."

I worked on those CAP-2100. Your wife was right to say "Forget it". The input board on that amp drove me crazy. It was always sonething: the volume chips, the OP amps, cracked resistors, missing solder you name it. Keep in mind I'm a tech and not an audiophile like yourself. I've worked on Yamahas and the were alot better built.

Comment

• sugarmedia
      • Feb 2005

I have to say that's the first negative comment I've heard about Classe. Though I want to hear every review, good or bad.

Speaking of Yamaha...Here's an interesting article on the Japanese being unable to reproduce sound accurately.

With the Japanese entrance into the stereo business in the 60's the great differences in electronics had begun. The receiver was born. The quest for cheaper was on. The older tube equipment, while measuring worse than the new solid state (transistor) equipment, sounded better. The older tube amps were limited in their abilities to reproduce extended high or low frequencies, but had a warm smooth mid range. The new transistor amps were using transistors in circuits generally designed for tubes, and with bad results. They had extended high and low frequency response, but were very harsh and irritating to listen to. Gradually, things improved and solid state replaced tube equipment as the norm. Driven by the marketing departments of the large Japanese companies, technical specs replaced listening as a means of judging the quality of equipment for most people. Pioneer, Sansui, and JVC are names you'll remember. The "distortion- wars" were on ... but while numbers got better, the sound generally got worse. Slowly, a few small companies emerged and began building equipment utilizing newer, high quality parts and new circuit designs. This time however, the goal was sound quality and not distortion figures. During the 1960’s McIntosh and Marantz were the best companies in electronics. However, in the 70's and 80's they were greatly surpassed in terms of sound quality and construction by companies like Mark Levinson and Audio Research. HiEnd (or high performance) audio was born. (Note: McIntosh is now owned by the Japanese car stereo manufacturer Clarion and Marantz is owned by Philips).

Comment

• jimmyp58
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2003

McIntosh is actually part of a conglumerate known as D&M Holdings. They own Denon, Marantz, McIntosh, and Escient.
        jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• RenoReno2
          • Jan 2005

Try out B&K, I've read in other forums that alot of people with ML's run them with B&K amps. I think Tweeter runs ML's with them in all their stores, not sure though the one near me does. Tweeter is overpriced so don't even bother listening to what they want for it. I bought my B&K amp from www.soundvideo.com, Steve was referred to me on another forum. I called around and he was the cheapest. There's so many other brands that are good. Anthem, Parasound, I think NAD is pretty decent as well. Your best bet is to load your speakers in your car and listen to them in the store. There are also some stores that let you bring the gear to your home to try them out. Of Course you'll likely have to leave some sort of deposit. Good Luck on your purchase!!

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"