X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hired goon
    • Aug 2004

Dynaudio Contour speakers?

G'day,

Has anyone got Dynaudio speakers? Specifically, the Contour series? I saw some of these the other day, but didn't get a chance to hear them. Hoping to do so in the next few weeeks, but reviews on these (especially from anyone that has got or heard the B&W 800 series, which is my main contender) would be appreciated.

--Geoff
  • mikeyc
    • Sep 2004

I compared Dyn's lower Audience line the 52SE which uses the tweeter from the Contour line to B&W 705s. No comparision, the Dyns had a better soundstage, imaging and more detail. The only negative I could see was they weren't as purty as the B&Ws and they're 4 Ohm so harder to drive.

Comment

• jimmyp58
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2003

Dynaudios are dynamite. The VMPS line, which is near impossible to take in a listen to in Australia, would be another speaker in this line.

Jim
      jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• Dmantis
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jun 2004

In my honest humble opnion , Dynaudio is the best speaker company in the entire world. I have listened and owned many differnt Brands. I've been to countless shows and demo rooms. Nothing has taken my breath away like Dynaudio did.

The Contour series from Dynaudio in my opnion smokes B&W in every single way except maybe looks. Something very sexy about B&W N series speakers that hardly anyone can match. You will however need high quality electronics to go with your new Contour series as they will show off any flaws your system could have.

One day I would love to build a full Contour series theater system running with Krell Showcase.

Dan

Comment

• Jraducha
          • Aug 2004

You really need to listen to the dyn speaker. No ones words or opinions can explain how sweet they are... I only have the audience line..and im soooo in love...i even use the dynaudio drivers in my car.

Comment

• Minge
            • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Dmantis
            In my honest humble opnion , Dynaudio is the best speaker company in the entire world. I have listened and owned many differnt Brands. I've been to countless shows and demo rooms. Nothing has taken my breath away like Dynaudio did.

The Contour series from Dynaudio in my opnion smokes B&W in every single way except maybe looks. Something very sexy about B&W N series speakers that hardly anyone can match. You will however need high quality electronics to go with your new Contour series as they will show off any flaws your system could have.

One day I would love to build a full Contour series theater system running with Krell Showcase.

Dan
            Dmantis nailed it. I have Dynaudio Contour 1.3 and 1.8s and they are simply a cut above the B&W's which don't get me wrong are fine speakers. A lesser known line Dali comes close but Dyn's rule!

Comment

• Dmantis
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jun 2004

Minge,

O how I love the 1.8's. Man I remember the first time I listened to them. A friend of mine was trying to decide on which speaker to go with . Thiels or the Dyn's.... after hours of listening to the Thiels , then the 1.8's , it was clear what speaker sounded better all around.Mark Levinston #383 was the intergraded amp we used. For me it was over in the first few minutes but my buddy wanted to make sure. I could go into exactly what happened but I feel I made my point.

I'm currently building a Audience home theater consisting of 82's, 122c , 42W x2. The sub I'm a Rel man. I'm driving this all with a RMB1095 Rotel amp and a RSP1068 preamp.

Dan

Comment

• jimmyp58
                Super Senior Member
                • Aug 2003

I just picked up the Contour series for my second showroom and they are simply fabulous. I have the 5.4s for fronts, SCX for center, Sub 500, and 1.4's for rears. Indescribable.

Comment

• Dlite
                  • Mar 2005

Hi Geoff,

I dont think much of the Dynaudio Contour series of speakers, I just auditioned a pair a few weeks ago and rated them very average for the money.

I would suggest you audition some of the great Australian made speakers from the likes of Whatmough, Richter, Krix and Legend. These speakers represent sensational value for money compared to imported speakers like the Dynaudio's.

I highly recommend Whatmough and have just upgraded from the Whatmough P31's to the Whatmough 303 signatures. They also come with a 5 year warranty which is better than most brands. The only Whatmough speaker to be reviewed by Stereophile the 202's got rave reviews. Feel free to conact me if you want any further info or advice.

By the way the Whatmough P31's are up for sale, but really require pickup not shipping. If anyone is interested, message me.

Cheers

Comment

• Jamil
                    • Dec 2003

Geoff,

FWIW...Though I do not have the Contour line but I have heard them. IMHO Dyns are tough to beat when it comes to performance in their price range. I have the cheaper Audience 72SE's for the fronts, 52SE's for the surrounds and 122C for the center. All are powered by Rotel gear. The sound is amazing and I simply love them. Mind you, they are 4 ohm speakers and do have a long break-in period but after ~150-200 hours you will not regret your decision. Hopefully my next upgrade will be to the Contours but it will be a while. I did audition Paradigm, B&W and others before making the purchase. The Dyns were not even on my list before I heard them. As most on this forum have suggested in various postings, go with your kind of music and your ears. The looks of the speaker should be secondary. Again that is my opinion. Eventually it is your wallet to empty

--
                    Nasser

Comment

• soldonandy
                      • Mar 2005

I had the Dynaudio 52 SE's for a while paired with a Contour Center, if you are more than 50% music they are wonderful. However, for Home Theater, I felt they were missing the dynamic "punch" I previously enjoyed with my M&K's. I find it's had to find a speaker that is critically awesome at both music and movices so if music is your preference, you should be well served with Dynaudio Contours. BTW, the Contour Center in my opinion is overpriced.

Comment

• jimmyp58
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Aug 2003

The SCX Center is an awesome center channel speaker.

Comment

• hired goon
                          • Aug 2004

G'day,

Originally posted by Dlite
                          I would suggest you audition some of the great Australian made speakers from the likes of Whatmough, Richter, Krix and Legend. These speakers represent sensational value for money compared to imported speakers like the Dynaudio's.
                          I agree about Aussie speakers. I currently have the VAF Signature I-93, but I'm looking to replace them with the Equinox Apogee. I wasn't impressed with what I heard from Krix, and unfortunately there are no Legend dealers in Brisbane. Haven't heard Whatmough, either, so further info is welcome.

--Geoff

Comment

• soldonandy
                            • Mar 2005

Let me clarify when I say the Contour Center is not a good value, I forget the name but it was the older "boxy" Contour Center (but still a current model) and it is very average for the money. There is absolutely nothing special about it and it is easily eclipsed by less expensive centers. Again, if you are in to music, Dynaudio is really nice, if home theater is more than 50% of your action, don't necessarily jump on the contours.

Comment

• jimmyp58
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Aug 2003

Interesting....just goes to show how somewhat subjective speakers can be with a variety of people.

True, I have found the Dynaudios very good for music but I feel the same for HT. Perhaps there are room differences, associated equipment, room treatments, etc. And of course an individual's personal tastes.

Comment

• Dlite
                                • Mar 2005

Your right Jimmy, everything in Hifi is subjective, i know people that cant tell the difference in sound between a $100 boom box and $10000 in hifi equipment. I expect these are the same people that drive down the street with "whump" "whump" coming from thier pathetic car subwoofers.

Everybodies hearing is different, everybodies room is different, everyones components are different, everybodies cables are different etc etc.

Not only that speakers can sound great in the showroom, when they have plenty of air around them, take them home and they can sound completely different.

Comment

• soldonandy
                                  • Mar 2005

Very true, I was with you for the most part about the subjective hearing, room treatments, etc. but when I came to the part about the "cables", I let out an "oh boy" and my head stopped nodding. Cables, my $350 Cardas cables which I suckered myself in to buying most certainly could be a factor in why my Dnyaudio Center sounds like it has a blanket over it. Anyway, I compared a $450 M&K 850 to the contour center in the same room with the same equipment and for movies, the difference was very apparent to me. Thus my comment that if you are into movies, I think you can get a more dynamic sounding speaker for less money.

Comment

• Farscape1
                                    • Jul 2005

Hmmm

Originally posted by soldonandy
                                    Very true, I was with you for the most part about the subjective hearing, room treatments, etc. but when I came to the part about the "cables", I let out an "oh boy" and my head stopped nodding. Cables, my $350 Cardas cables which I suckered myself in to buying most certainly could be a factor in why my Dnyaudio Center sounds like it has a blanket over it. Anyway, I compared a $450 M&K 850 to the contour center in the same room with the same equipment and for movies, the difference was very apparent to me. Thus my comment that if you are into movies, I think you can get a more dynamic sounding speaker for less money.

Soldonandy: I disagree with your assumptions on the Contour Center channel. Granted it is small, and I was a tad disappointed at first when I unpacked it, but it packs a pretty damn good punch.. My current setup is S3.4s up front and SC Center channel and LR120 for rears for now. I have had Contours for about a year, use to have M&Ks and various other speakers, but the Dynaudio tweeters is amoung the best I have heard to "My ears" as far as being dynamic they are a very true to the soundtrack of a movie and or the music being played through them. Sure you can find a speaker for less money but not one that is hand made from parts that they build themselves and technology that far surpasses many other brands. Hell there are a ton of brands using there drivers because they are that good.
                                    I totally agree with you that the Contour Center is overpriced, and a tad small, but it is dynamic and packs very loud and clear punch into a small box.

Here are just a few....
                                    Eggleson Works
                                    Totem
                                    Silverline Audio
                                    Merlin
                                    etc.....
                                    If your looking for a more so called dynamic speaker for HT and cheaper, go with the Audience line...

I for one heard the Confidence line, C2 and the new SCX which will work with both S5.4s and Confidence line and I was blown away on how good this sounded, this SCX center channel was very good.

Comment

• Farscape1
                                      • Jul 2005

Jim: I see your in Franklin, WI I might have to stop by and check your store out... Are you guys open all the time or by appointment only?

Dlite: Aussies make some decent speakers, the main Krix distributor for the US is located in Middleton, WI. Full Compass is the name. Also Osborns and Ambience speakers are good. But it sounds like your a dealer for specific brands, so I can see why you wouldn't like the competition.

Comment

• Kirium
                                        • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Dlite
                                        Your right Jimmy, everything in Hifi is subjective, i know people that cant tell the difference in sound between a $100 boom box and $10000 in hifi equipment. I expect these are the same people that drive down the street with "whump" "whump" coming from thier pathetic car subwoofers.
                                        You're forgetting another category of people... The spouse...

Case in point, my better half told me yesterday she couldn't hear the difference between our humble little B&W 602S3's driven by a Marantz SR6300 AVR (check sig for details, but total cost of around $10k all up) and a system featuring Wilson Audio Maxx2's driven by massive Krell monoblock amps thru Transparent cable thicker than my arm and a Krell KCT preamp from a bizarre, rare turntable. we heard this setup, value somewhere north of $150k, at a major Australian store in Sydney in a purpose built room, and when we left she told me she couldn't tell the difference only "it was louder".... 8O
                                        God bless her... :lol:

As for the dynaudios, I've been interested in hearing the contours also, but after reading this thread, i'm not so sure they'll be suitable for a future HT oriented setup. Back to looking at B&W 700s i think...

Comment

• tmueller
                                          • Sep 2004

Regarding the Contour Line; in my showroom I run the Dyn 5.4s upfront, s cx, and sub 500. I absolutely love the s cx but a $3k one better love it. I have heard others comment on their disappointment regarding the sc but believe me the s cx is a completely different animal.

Best of luck.

Sincerely,

Tyler T. Mueller

Comment

Working...
                                          😀
                                          😂
                                          🥰
                                          😘
                                          🤢
                                          😎
                                          😞
                                          😡
                                          👍
                                          👎
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"