X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smbear
    • Feb 2007

dynaudio center channel (custom)

i have a set of dynaudio audience line the fronts are 82 TMWW and the center is the 120 MTM . i am going to build new speakers in the future . i built my own subs . can i take a 82 tower and make a new inclosure by copying all specs for air space but just rearagnge the box to fit the drivers to be T on top M under tweeter than take the bass drivers and flanking them one on each side . so basicly i will have a identical center to mach my mains . i have a 120 inch screen so having a huge centrer is not a problem . ok i lied i love huge massive my wife hates these things speakers :twisted:

dont flame me for being my first post.
  • ---k---
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2005

Two things to think about:

You'll get a much different response from the tweeter due to the wider baffle. The crossover was designed with a specific width in mind. You might want to model it in Baffle Diffraction Simulator to see if you can live with it.

2) Dyn's I've listened to are designed to be a good 2' from the wall. When I had a pair of 52's in my room, they really didn't sound good until I got them out away from the wall and other objects. This is just the way they account for baffle step. You're going to need the same positioning for the center or it won't sound right.

I think what you're discussing is a bad idea. It might not sound terrible, so I'm not going to tell you not to do it. Just think about the above two items.
    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Jed
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by smbear
      i have a set of dynaudio audience line the fronts are 82 TMWW and the center is the 120 MTM . i am going to build new speakers in the future . i built my own subs . can i take a 82 tower and make a new inclosure by copying all specs for air space but just rearagnge the box to fit the drivers to be T on top M under tweeter than take the bass drivers and flanking them one on each side . so basicly i will have a identical center to mach my mains . i have a 120 inch screen so having a huge centrer is not a problem . ok i lied i love huge massive my wife hates these things speakers :twisted:

dont flame me for being my first post.
      Hi and welcome. If you want a speaker that sounds anything remotely good or equal to the Dynaudio, one needs to design the speaker to the specs of the woofers and mid/tweeters. Then, after the enclosure is made, measure the drivers in the box, and then develop the crossover from those measurements. This takes many years of research to get right, and learn how to make a very good speaker. It would be nice to just put a bunch of drivers in a box with a text book crossover in place and have good sound. But I hate to break it to you... it isn't going to happen.

Jed

Comment

• smbear
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Jed
        Hi and welcome. If you want a speaker that sounds anything remotely good or equal to the Dynaudio, one needs to design the speaker to the specs of the woofers and mid/tweeters. Then, after the enclosure is made, measure the drivers in the box, and then develop the crossover from those measurements. This takes many years of research to get right, and learn how to make a very good speaker. It would be nice to just put a bunch of drivers in a box with a text book crossover in place and have good sound. But I hate to break it to you... it isn't going to happen.

Jed
        i think you might have miss read my post . i want to take a 82 and rebuild the box to spec and just rearrange the drivers to make it a correct center. so i will reuse everything drivers crossover etc same baffles airspace everything just reconfiger to make a center.i would just use the speaker the way it is but it is to tall . i wish speaker manufacturers would offer such speakers . B&W offers the 800 series center this way. dynaudio does also in the way highend lines.

Comment

• Operandi
          • May 2007

i think you might have miss read my post . i want to take a 82 and rebuild the box to spec and just rearrange the drivers to make it a correct center. so i will reuse everything drivers crossover etc same baffles airspace everything just reconfiger to make a center.i would just use the speaker the way it is but it is to tall . i wish speaker manufacturers would offer such speakers . B&W offers the 800 series center this way. dynaudio does also in the way highend lines.
          You can't lay a speaker on it's side and expect it sound the same (re-read ---k---'s post). Usually (not alwasy) the crossover is specific to a center channel even with the same drivers and baffle configuration.

If you already have the speaker lay it on it's side and see how the sound changes.

Comment

• Jed
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Apr 2005

You could model the diffraction of the stock box to see the response of the drivers in that location, and then model the drivers baffle diffraction in the new location to compare... My guess is the new response will be within +/- 3 db of the original, so if that is acceptable to you I guess you could try it.

Comment

• Dennis H
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Aug 2002

If your receiver or prepro has an EQ system, it should be close enough that you can dial it in with EQ.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"