X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Glenn
    • Jun 2003

rsx-1065

First a hello to all. I've been reading the Club Rotel posts and the FAQ for about a week now. I decided to join, as it sounds like a great way to learn more about HT/Rotel.

I am in the process of upgrading my HT system. Now the proud owner of B&W 9NT's. Finally it's time for the receiver Until recently I've been looking mostly at the Denon 4802R. But, a few weeks ago, I began reading and researching the Rotel brand, specifically the RSX-1065. My initial impressions of Rotel are great!

Realizing these are "newbie" type questions, I shall ask anyway. Two questions regarding the RSX-1065.

1. Does the speaker set-up only include delays for the centre, surround and sub speakers? If the front speakers are not the same distance from the listening position, how is that compensated for?

2. Are there any differences, feature-wise, between the RSX-1065 receiver and the separate RSP-1066 processor?

Thank you for your help and for a great forum!
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Welcome to the HTGuide Glenn! I'm not as familar with the 1065 unfortunatly but there's several members here that have that model. One thing I've noticed is that a lot of people looking at the 1065 have ended up going with the 1055 and a seperate power amp since it ends up being about the same price, offers the same features and is in many ways more flexible. Either way though the Rotels sound much better then the Denon's do (I've owned three Denon receivers)

Comment

• Glenn
      • Jun 2003

Thanks for the reply, Andrew. Any comments about Question #1, with respect to the RSP-1066 instead? I think the same thought applies. Is there no delay for front speaker placement? How is that dealt with?

Also, you mention the flexibility of the RSP-1066 and a power amp. This offers more flexibility ... in terms of upgrading, changing processors later etc, is that what you mean?

Comment

• zeppelin
        • May 2003

For your question number1, unforturnately Rotel does not include Balancing between the front speakers and no Delay setting for it too.
        Rotel also does not include balancing for the 2 back speakers.
        These settings is actually very usefull for the end user whose room that are not perfect and cant put the speakers at an equal distance.
        I hope in the future or Firmware upgarde Rotel can include this in.
        I hope the Rotel guys take this as a note.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by glenn
          Thanks for the reply, Andrew. Any comments about Question #1, with respect to the RSP-1066 instead? I think the same thought applies. Is there no delay for front speaker placement? How is that dealt with?

Also, you mention the flexibility of the RSP-1066 and a power amp. This offers more flexibility ... in terms of upgrading, changing processors later etc, is that what you mean?

Right there's no delay settings for the front channels unfortunatly.

Any time you add a seperate power amp to a receiver or pre amp you're making the system more flexible with regard to future upgrades but adding power amps to recievers adds even more flexibility given that you can still use the receivers internal amps as well so you can mix and match as needed. For example if you bought a 5 channel amp and the 1055 receiver you could bi amp your mains with four channels from the amp and use the 5th to power your center. This would then allow you to use the 1055's amps to power the sides and rear center speakers.

Comment

• Glenn
            • Jun 2003

Wow, no delay or balancing settings for the front speakers, and no balancing for the rear? Everything about the Rotel is perfect for me, except for this. All 5 of my speakers (Fronts, centre, surrounds) are simply not possible to be placed equidistant from the listening position.

To be able to calibrate each speaker according to its distance seems like a very critical feature. Would this be something that COULD be corrected by a firmware update (assuming Rotel wanted to address this issue)?

I also like the idea of the 1055 and a power amp, as an alternate to the 1065 receiver. Thanks for the idea. I like this forum!

I am still thinking about the unavailable delay setting for each separate speaker ... that's a major issue to me, considering how critical speaker placement (or in the alternate, correction using delay) is for sound imaging.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

glenn how far off are the speakers? It does matter but if they're reasonably close it may not matter that much considering the lack of percision we have setting the delays anyway. Although it might be possible to add via firmware I don't think we'll see it since the processing chip in these models is already pretty much maxed out.

Comment

• Kevin D
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Oct 2002

Glenn,

Actually the Rotel does have balancing for all channels, that's the test-tone menu. It does however only have 1ms selectable delay for the center and 5,10,15 selectable for the rears.

If you could let us know how far apart everything is, we might be able to decide if you need the delay or not..

Honestly though, if it's as far off as you are leading it to be, your room might be the limiting factor in your equipment.

If you can't get your fronts to be almost equal to each other, your whole soundstage will colapse, even with delay.

Kevin D.

Comment

• zeppelin
                  • May 2003

Glenn, What Kevin mention is correct. I overlook on the test tone side. Balancing on front, centre and back speakers can be done using the test tone, Rotel give the option in units call db(decibals) +/-.
                  For the Delay option Rotel does not include on the Front speakers.
                  Delay option for the centre and back are also limited. You can only set it in positive value but not negative value.
                  I need the negative value setting for my centre so in my case to compensate it, the centre speaker I place it about 60cm backwards from the 2 front speakers, to create the semi curve. This is usefull if you are using Dolby Prologic mode cause in this mode you tend to hear the Centre too upfront.

Comment

• Glenn
                    • Jun 2003

Here is my creative attempt at illustrating my room and speaker distances. The measurements are taken in a straight line from the listening position (X) to each speaker. Perhaps even with more precise speaker distance calibration options, it is indeed my room that would be the greatest detriment to soundstage and imaging. I wonder why, though, centre channel has 1ms steps, while the surrounds have such less precise choices. Again, as mentioned, perhaps chip processing capacity has been unfortunately maxed out, and thus the reason why main L/R are left out completely.

At least I now know the answer of speaker delay setups with respect to the Rotel units. So thank you to all, who have replied. Much appreciated!

I still am leaning towards Rotel over my initial consideration of Denon.

------------------
                    | L C R |
                    | |
                    | |
                    | |
                    | X |
                    | |
                    | |
                    | SL SR |
                    ------------------

X to L = 12'
                    X to C = 9'
                    X to R = 14'
                    X to SL = 9'
                    X to SR = 11'

Comment

• Kevin D
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Oct 2002

Glenn,

Honestly it's not as bad as I thought. The surrounds are generally not as important as the center, so I'm sure that's Rotel's reasoning.

I would make sure that your left/right image well in the middle, even if you have to sit closer to the right speaker just for setup purposes. The center channel will help center the offset stereo imaging. Put a 4ms delay on the center to get it equal to ~13'. Kind of averaging the difference. Then leave the surrounds to the standard +5ms delay or drop it to 0ms, either should give you pleasant results..let your ears decide.

Just make sure you use a SPL meter to get the volumes (balancing) right. A 2' difference in surrounds in negligable. Of course you could work on toing the main speakers and get as good of an image as you can in the hot seat.

Either way, I wouldn't let the delay issues be a deciding factor. Most Rotel dealers should be willing to let you try the system out and decide for yourself, you're the ultimate judge!

Kevin D.

Comment

• Glenn
                        • Jun 2003

Kevin

Thanks for your suggestions and for taking the time to reply to my particular stereo set-up. I'm feeling better about the lack of delay control for the mains and for each independant surround (although it still would be a nice Rotel feature, completing their package). Overall, I really am pleased having learned more about Rotel over the past few weeks, and have decided this will be the brand choice

Thanks for everyone's input!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

Thanks for everyone's input!
                          That's what we're all here for

Comment

• gostan
                            • May 2003

I am very close to jumping from a Denon 2800 to the Rotel 1066-1075 combination, but my existing listening-viewing room has some serious setup issues with the rear speakers. My listening position is about 9 feet from the fl-fr-c and subwoofer, but my rears are only 3 feet behind my listening position. How would I adjust the sound delay levels on my rears with the rsp-1066? I know the room is not great, but no other choice for about the next year.
                            Stan

Comment

• Kevin D
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Oct 2002

Leave it at the stock 5ms delay.

Assuming the standard 1' = 1ms, your fronts will arrive at your ears in 9ms (9' = 9ms) and the rears will arrive in 8ms (3' = 3ms + 5ms delay). Pretty darn close.. You could even try +10ms delay for a more airy/spacey effect which might even sound better in your room.

Kevin D.

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"