X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ray F.
    • Oct 2004

RMB-1095 channel dead

The right front channel on my Rotel RMB-1095 amplifier stopped working about a week ago. I thought I had noticed an electrical component burning smell the day before, but could not locate the source. When I took the cover off, I found a big pile of cat hair inside. I suspect this caused an electrical short. I found it impossible to check the fuses without dismantling the amplifier. I only checked the 5 fuses on the right side, since that was the side the bad channel was on. Those fuses were all good.
    Well yesterday I bought a used Integra Research RDA-7 amplifier on eBay for $2000 (seemed like a bargain considering the retail price of $5000). In the meantime I'm using a Sherwood Newcastle AM-9080/AVP-9080 combination.
    I have no idea what it will cost to have this Rotel repaired, but it has to be shipped back to the manufacturer for repair (it's very heavy), and though it is under warranty (I think), it probably won't cover this type of damage. I paid $1800 for it three years ago, so I guess I should get it repaired.
    Any ideas? One thing I should say is, "keep your cats away from your amplifier!"
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Ray,

This is a fairly common fault. Rotel has repair shops in some of the larger cities (LA should qualify). I have seen threads where people out of warantee were pleasantly surprised to have a blown channel fixed for $300, including new transistors etc... Ring Rotel and see if there is an authorised repair centre in LA....

I'd definitely get it fixed - even if after that you sell it - there's a great marget for used RMB-1095s...

Geoff

Comment

• Ray F.
      • Oct 2004

RMB-1095 Channel dead

Thanks Geoff,
      I'll give Rotel a call. My dealer gave me the impression I would have to send it back to Rotel through them, and the only address I saw for them was in Massachusetts.

Ray

Comment

• dermie999
        • Jul 2004

Hi Ray,

Maybe you should use the money Geoff saved you on transport costs to buy a Sphynx (its hairless cat). :rofl:

Just kidding but couldn't waste the opportunity.

Trevor

Comment

• lvhung
          • Jun 2005

A pile of cat hair
          Shold I re-consider of purchase Rotel

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"