X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mj662
    • Sep 2004

1065 roll off freq?

The Rotel 1065 as a wonderful control of hi pass roll off! :M

What the hell does small mean? is this 125hz? 100hz? Sounds like 125hz to me, way to high for my speakers!

I don't get it, this is suppose to be a high end amp and we get these accurate controls Small and Large.

I am ready to sell this thing.

Mark
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Small basically means that it will activate whatever crossover you have set in the bass management. Large means no redirection will take place and the full range signal will go to that speaker(s) So if you set all your speakers to small with an 80hz crossover all the speakers will receive their respective signal down to 80hz, the bass below that point will be redirected with the LFE frequencies to your sub. Perhaps a good read through the manual is in order before taking any rash action

Jason
    Jason

Comment

• mj662
      • Sep 2004

Thanks for the info,

I see the sub crossover point is at 100hz, I set it to 40hz and now is is correct for my front speakers but not the rears!

I do not think I have A very uncommon setup. My fronts are all Dynaudio 52's and center is a c122. My rears are much smaller M&K's, they have a 4" woofer. the M&K's should be rolled off at 100Hz. To roll my Dynaudio's off at 100hz is not good at all, they can handle much more than that but can not handle hi db's of a full range DVD Audio disk that is bass heavy. Like my favorite DVD Audio disk that I like to listen to loudly!

So what can this amp do for this set up?

The way I have seen amps much cheaper than this one work is in the speaker setup you can select the cut off freq. for the rears, fronts and center. Seems to be a no brainer.

Thanks, Mark

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

That is true of newer models, even less expensive ones as you pointed out, that you can select seperate crossover frequencies for the different speakers, including the newer 1067, the new version of your model Older recievers, like your 1065, did not have that added functionality, as such you have to find a happy medium between your mains, centre and surrounds. 80hz is usually a good starting point and unless you have VERY small surrounds, should be fine. If you want the added functionality that more advanced bass management allows you'll have to purchase a newer unit ( 1067 ) or an outboard ICBM. Also try doing a google search on "bass management" to get a better idea of how it works etc. You can also setup your receiver to utilize the 80hz crossover and "small" speakers setting just for movies and run your mains as "large" for music listening as I do (Well I have my crossover set to 60hz as I have pretty capable speakers all around but you get the idea.)

Also just because your speakers say they have output down to 40hz doesn't mean they will actually play that deep at the same volume as say an 80hz signal. Also a crossover is not a brick wall, it sends less and less information to those speakers after the crossover point not a complete stop. For example my speakers are all rated down to high 30's to mid 40's yet I set my crossover to 60hz for some breathing room. This will also allow your amp section to more easily and cleanly reproduce all the mids and highs as it's not devoting all that power to recreate deep bass, that's what you have a sub for.

Jason
        Jason

Comment

• mj662
          • Sep 2004

Thanks for the info Jason,

I do understand Bass management. This is what I do for a living, I am a recording engineer and mix sound for the movies.

I did not think the 1065 was that old, I was wondering if the 1067 has a fan? That is another issue I have with this amp When listening to music and the song ends I hear this loud fan spinning away. I understand it is needed to get all that power in to such a small box but has this been improved upon.

Mark

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

8O The 1065 does not have a fan nor does the 1067. Are you sure we're talking about the same equipment here? :scratchhead:

EDIT: Are you sure your not hearing your disc spinning in your CD/DVD player?

Edit again: The 1065 is not a small box either..?

Jason
            Jason

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

Just FYI but the the 1065 was released I believe in 2001 and replaced (by the 1067) in the spring of this year so it's not exactly new anymore... If that is even the piece of equipment we're talking about...

Jason
              Jason

Comment

• Bam!
                Super Senior Member
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by mj662
                The Rotel 1065 as a wonderful control of hi pass roll off! :M

What the hell does small mean? is this 125hz? 100hz? Sounds like 125hz to me, way to high for my speakers!

I don't get it, this is suppose to be a high end amp and we get these accurate controls Small and Large.

I am ready to sell this thing.

Mark
                Hi Mark

....uhmmm Hi pass or low pas....what are we talkin about here..... a dip above 3khz....?...an amp ....why,,,how .....me no comprendez me amigos ?
                point #2..
                Sounds like 125hz to me, way to high for my speakers!
                are your ears inside your sofa.....?

I don't think the Rotel is to blame....but more your understanding of how these machines work my friend....

My 2 cents...
                Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• Kevin D
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Oct 2002

Originally posted by aud19
                  8O The 1065 does not have a fan nor does the 1067. Are you sure we're talking about the same equipment here? :scratchhead:

Jason
                  1067 has two fans I believe, at least one. They're on the bottom. I noticed it unboxing one a few months ago. 1065 I wouldn't know.

Kevin D.

Comment

• aud19
                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2003

Really?! Wow sorry, news to me ops:

Jason
                    Jason

Comment

• GosonFletchy
                      • May 2004

They both have fans, although they should only turn on when the unit reaches a very high operating temperature and then they shut off again when the temperature drops back down. These temperatures are measured from the heatsink via thermistors. If the fan on your unit is allways on then you have a problem.

G.

:grab:

Comment

• Bam!
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Jan 2004

...so whatever happened........

If you get rid of your Rotel for these "problems" you will discover the next receiver has the same ones....
                        Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"