X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NHT
    • Mar 2004

1098 no balanced interconnects?

I just noticed this but my 1098 has no balanced interconnects slots. Is there a reason for this? I have always heard balanced is always better than the rca but how come Rotel didnt make the 1098 with them being that it is their top of the line processor.
  • aaron
    • Aug 2004

For most all home users, unbalanced is just fine. Balanced connections are best for long runs as they are better at rejecting noise, RF, etc. Today's quality unbalanced cables are excellent at this. You will find no difference in audio quality, just bragging rights for something often over rated. IMHO. I could have gotten unbalanced in my Aragon 8008 (BB vs ST) years back. Spent a ton of time researching the pros and cons vs. the dollar increase back then and I am still sure of my decision today. Certainly a cost saving measure. (Put the dollars where it matters)

Comment

• will1066
      • Aug 2003

Did you research this product before buying it?

Comment

• aarsoe
        • May 2004

I have alwayes found it odd that the Rotel amps offers balanced inputs but the processors doesnt. I do however have an idea to why - simply that the processors are not balanced internally, so it would have to be "fake" balanced outputs - and they would not sound great..
        But for next version - they should include it, if the design it self is balanced..

Comment

• jlee
          • Aug 2004

The 1080, 1090, and 1095 are not internally balanced and several reviews have found the balanced inputs sounded WORSE... due to it having to convert to unbalanced inside... it was 1 more unnecessary conversion. So unless the amp is designed as a true balanced amp, using balanced connections may sound worse.

Comment

• aarsoe
            • May 2004

I am aware of this fact - but it still leaves the question to "then why did you put them there in the place" unanswered..

Comment

• NHT
              • Mar 2004

I second that. If the amps have it then why not the processors? After all, they would like the owners of the amps to mate with their processors, not with other processors that does have balanced.

Comment

• jlee
                • Aug 2004

I think it was because they didn't want a potential customer NOT to buy their amp because it didn't have balanced inputs to match with a processor of another brand. By having both types of inputs, it broadens their potential customer base.

With regards to putting in balanced outputs on the preamp, the size of the unit would be a lot bigger... the 1098 is already huge... the cost would also be a lot more... I think they wanted it priced in the $3000 range, and by adding the balanced outputs, would probably put the product out of the range they wanted to compete in.

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

Besides, I'll also add, as was already pretty much pointed out, 99% of HT's will realize no bennefit by using balanced connections even if they are true balanced designs over quality unbalanced RCA's So do you really want them adding hundreds of dollars to the price of your pre/pro to accomadate that 1%...? I sure don't! Not to mention it's also much more affordable to purchase quality unbalanced connections. In other words for the same amount of money you'll get a higher quality unbalanced RCA cable.

Jason
                  Jason

Comment

• GosonFletchy
                    • May 2004

There is no difference in balanced and unbalanced, IMHO, when you are talking normal HT runs of cable. Just use the unbalanced. I am sure that Rotel has added the connection of balanced to some of their equipment because if they did not there would probably be a ton of people complaining about them not having it. By giving the option with some equipment they have shut those people up.

G.

:grab:

Comment

• NHT
                      • Mar 2004

To further enhance this discussion, heres a quote from the Rotel website under FAQs:

"BALANCED vs. UNBALANCED:

In the vast majority of professional applications, only balanced connections are used. These are rather thick interconnects terminated with 3 pin XLR connectors as opposed to RCA plugs. High-end equipment often provides both connection types, as found on Rotel amplifiers RB1090, 1080, and RMB1095, as well as the RC1090 preamp. Balanced connections cancel any noise injected in the line and may provide better sound than RCA connections. For this reason, you might want to listen to the component while switching between the two connection types and judge for yourself."

Although I do agree that maybe Rotel was conscientious about budget and it would have costed us much more to purchase the 1098. So does this mean that the 1095 would have been hundreds of dollars cheaper if it didnt include the balanced connects? Darn!

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Oct 2003

NHT,

I suggest you seriously consider returning your RSP-1098 to the dealer inside the 7 day return policy you mentioned you have on one of your several other related posts where you express unhappiness with it.

You are clearly:
                        1) Surprised by some of the RSP-1098's missing features and may not have read the manual (or examined one closely) before purchase.
                        2) Not happy with the sound of your RSP-1098 - prefering that of your RSX-1055.

Assuming you do return your RSP-1098 unit, can I suggest that you also very carefully document the things that you are looking for in you upgrade, disucss these with a number of dealers and listen to a variety of different products as part of your quest for a solution the suits your particular tastes and needs. I would also suggest:
                        1) Downloading the manuals from the website before any purchase and studying these carefully the become aware of the features and capabilities involved,
                        2) An in-home demo on your system before finalising any purchase.

Geoff

Comment

• NHT
                          • Mar 2004

Believe me, I really hate being the ugly duckling and being a naysayer in a bunch of 1098 lovers. I really wanted to take this unit home and be blown away and be able to rant and rave about the 1098. I was totally prepared to do so and share my good experience. THere is nothing more frustrating and spiriturally exhaustive. But in light of things, hopefully when I do change it out for a different unit, I will be able to join you guys and light a candle.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Oct 2003

NHT,

Sound is a personal experience - different people like different sounds - that is why there are so many different manufacturers out there... It is OK if you don't like the RSP-1098's sound (even that of a new one)... There are several other good brands to try like Anthen, Bryston, Krell, etc...

PS - One more thing to try - the RSP-1098 and RSP-1068 (like many processors) are quite sensitive to improvements in power quality. For example I and several others have found big improvements with a good quality mains filter - it is (just) posible you have noisy mains - you may wish to borrow / try a good filter and see if it mkes a big improvement for you!

Geoff

Comment

• will1066
                              • Aug 2003

Sorry, Geoff, but nothing else has been changed in NHT's system besides the pre/pro. If the 1055 sounds better to him with all else being equal, then so be it.

Comment

• GosonFletchy
                                • May 2004

It is obvious you do not want it. Missing something like the unit not having balanced connections is a major oversite. Did you use balanced cables in your setup already? I am guessing not since you have a RSX-1055. Why is that an issue all of a sudden? I think you need to return the unit and then do some serious research before your next purchase.

G.

:grab:

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"