X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Taito
    • Sep 2004

Couldn't be happier!

Hi guys. I started putting together my Rotel system back in March, with the purchase of a silver RB-1080, which I was driving with the pre-outs of an 870BX integrated. The sound through the JBL LX60's was SWEET. In July, I managed to shell for a RC-1070. These two make a sweet combo!!! Next on the list was a pair of speakers (the JBL's are on loan from my dad), but about a month ago, I auditioned an RCD-1072 (against an RDV-1060 and an Arcam CD73) and bought it the same day. Speakers will have to wait a while now, but the detail, punch and power from this Rotel gear is simply amazing (especially in comparison to an old Kenwood shelf system)!

Anyway, I've been hanging around this forum for a while now, and decided to join up. You have a good thing going here.

Hopefully this system is the beginning of many years of enjoyment. At the moment, I couldn't be happier with it. :T

-Ben
  • Azeke
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2003

Welcome to the fold, Ben.

Congratulations and enjoy your new toys. Keep up posted.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• alkalay
      • Jun 2004

Hey Ben,

Welcome mate, I think you have a great stereo system. :T

It's good to hear another Rotel owner happy. :B

Itai.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2003

Taito,

Congratulations...

And being in South Australia you have some great loudspeaker choices with Vaf Research, Krix, etc being made "on your doorstep" as well as the best of the imported... I'd recommend trying the Vaf DC-X Mark IV or (for world class sond) their I-66 and I-93s.. Worth a listen and you can take your amps in to try at the manufacturers site... I had to fly over their several years ago...

Geoff

Comment

• Taito
          • Sep 2004

Cheers guys, and thanks for the suggestion about VAF, Geoff. Actually, I went in there about 7 weeks ago to get a spec. sheet for the Gen IV DC-X's. I didn't audition them though, as I want to wait until I have the cash. - waiting is bad enough without knowing exactly what I'm missing out on.

Nice suggestion about the Thor Surgeshield on another post BTW. I'll have to look into it. As the house that I'm in at the moment has hard-wired surge protection, speakers are higher on my priority list. Althogh a pair of I-66's would be VERY nice, I think they're a bit too much of a reach financially.

Thanks again, Ben

Comment

• hired goon
            • Aug 2004

And being in South Australia you have some great loudspeaker choices with Vaf Research, Krix, etc being made "on your doorstep" as well as the best of the imported...
            And don't forget Sonique either

I tried out some Krix speakers on the weekend: the Krix Euphonix and the Krix Lyrix Gold. The Euphonix was good, but kinda boomy and unfocused (not surprising given the 2 additional bass drivers). The Lyrix Gold were average. However, I'm going to drag my Rotel's down to the store for a proper test in a few weeks. Unfortunately I cannot find anyone in Brisbane who stocks the much better Esoterix.

I'd recommend trying the Vaf DC-X Mark IV or (for world class sond) their I-66 and I-93s..
            Sure wish there was somewhere in Brisbane to hear the Vaf range. I'd like to give the DC-X a demo. Although I must admit an aesthetic annoyance: the DC-X comes in a choice of black or wood finish, but the matching center and surrounds only come in black. Grrrr.

Anyway, apparently the I-66 and I-93 are pretty good, but for a similar amount of money, I'd recommend also listening to the Equinox Audio Apogee or Jupiter, as well as the Sonique Encore.

-- Geoff
            Last edited by hired goon; 23 September 2004, 20:02 Thursday. Reason: corrected number of bass drivers in Euphonix

Comment

• Mitchell
              • Sep 2004

Hi Ben,
              I'm glad your happy with your syetem. I have just ordered that exact Rotel system of 1080, 1072 and the 1070 with a pair of B&W 703's. I should be receiving them this week. I am anxious to hear them at home. They sounded great together at the dealer. I'll let you know how it goes when I get them.
              Mitchell
              Mitchell

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Welcome to the Club:T

Comment

• Taito
                  • Sep 2004

Hired goon, I've checked out sonique and they are pretty impressive, but I believe that the Encore's are also out of my price range - I'd like to keep the speakers under AU$3000 (That way I won't be waiting too many more months).

Cheers Andrew (Nice HT by the way)!

Mitchell, Although they should sound good out of the box, my experience (particularly with the 1080) was that a few weeks of play really improves the sense of depth and power presented by this equipment. I've seen some really positive reviews of the 703's too. Nice combo.

-Ben

Comment

• Mitchell
                    • Sep 2004

Reason for break-in

Just for curiosities sake, does anyone have any idea as to why electronic components should need a break in period?
                    Certainly speakers would need to break in as the material moves and gains elasticity.
                    Mitchell

Comment

• GosonFletchy
                      • May 2004

Welcome to the club.

:assimilate:

G.

Comment

• hired goon
                        • Aug 2004

I've checked out sonique and they are pretty impressive, but I believe that the Encore's are also out of my price range - I'd like to keep the speakers under AU$3000
                        I like the Sonique 5.5, they sound pretty good for a 2-way, and they are about AUD$2500.

-- Geoff

Comment

• Taito
                          • Sep 2004

Cheers Geoff, the 5.5's are on my shortlist, along with the VAF DC-X's (Gen 4), the Krix (probably) Symphonix and the KEF Q7's. I'm sure there is also something from Paradigm that I should be listening to.

I doubt the 1080 will have any problems driving anything in my price range, so all suggestions are welcome. If you (any of you) have had a good experience matching speakers in this price range (AU$2000 to $3000) to your Rotel gear, please let me know. I should be able to afford speakers by the end of the year, so I have plenty of time for research.

Thanks, Ben

Comment

• hired goon
                            • Aug 2004

the 5.5's are on my shortlist, along with the VAF DC-X's (Gen 4), the Krix (probably) Symphonix and the KEF Q7's.
                            I had a listen to Krix Lyrix Gold and Krix Euphonix the other week. Not really impressed. The Euphonix was a bit boomy for 2-channel (I reckon it's more suited for HT), and the Lyrix Gold lacked a bit of detail, but I'm going to give them another go soon.

I'm not really sure that the Symphonix have much to offer above the Lyrix Gold, actually.

I'm sure there is also something from Paradigm that I should be listening to.
                            For your price range you may be able to get the Reference Studio 60s, or maybe the Monitor 7 or 9. However I hear that there may be problems getting some Paradigm stock in the future -- the dealer I called yesterday mentioned that they cannot get any Monitor 11s until January.

I'm hoping to test out some Paradigm speakers in the next few weeks -- I'll let you know what I think.

I doubt the 1080 will have any problems driving anything in my price range, so all suggestions are welcome.
                            The 1080 will have no problems with speakers in the AUD$3000 price range.

-- Geoff

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Oct 2003

Taito,

When you try the SA Speakers (Vaf, Sonique etc) bring your own amp and pre-amp and CD player & CDs and make sure they they bi-wire the speakers to the 1080s dual binding post. I think you will know the same day what you want!

PS - If you like your dad's JBL speakers I am betting you will go for the VAF DC-X mark IV for their equally "very dynamic" sound! - Just make sure you bi-wire them!

Geoff

Comment

• danadelaide
                                • Nov 2004

Hi all,
                                This is my first post on this forum but I have been dabbling in audio for a while.
                                The Euphonix can be boomy but they come with foam plugs for the two rear ports so you can tighten up the bass to suit your tastes.
                                I run with one in the upper cabinet which tightens up the bass and pushes midrange and treble forward slightly.
                                You need to hear these speakers run in and away from the wall to appreciate their amazing imaging and soundstage.
                                I sadly am selling my Black Euphonix and also my Krix KDX Mains (I use for rears) and centre as our new house is going in a more minimalist direction and as such we are installing the new vaf soundwall on wall panels to keep my wife happy!
                                I am looking for about half retail pricing (they are all in new condition).
                                If anyone is interested I can email pics if you pm me.
                                Dan.

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                                  • May 2004

great, now post a pic in the "post a picture of your Rotel" thread, I sure wish I have something to show in there....hehe

Comment

• whmacs
                                    • Oct 2003

Hi Taito,
                                    I just purchased some Orpheus Aurora 3 Signature editions (made in Sydney) specifically for a two channel music system. Really outstanding and at a cost of $2100 / pair great value Aussie speakers.

cheers,
                                    Stephen
                                    My Home Theatre

Comment

• Taito
                                      • Sep 2004

Thanks Stephen, I'll check them out. At this stage, my purchase is about 2 months away.

Ben

Comment

• Taito
                                        • Sep 2004

Hi all, I dropped in on VAF today to have a decent look at / arrange an audition of the new DC-Xs. Unfortunately they didn't have any Gen 4 DC-Xs on site (sold out), but will have by tuesday, so I've arranged to lug my 28Kg of sweet sweet Rotel gear in on Tues.

The upside (or maybe downside :wink: ) of there being no DC-X gen 4s, was that I had a decent listen to a pair of I-66s. WOW :E . I came home, and the JBLs sounded muffled and hazy, yet before I went, they sounded fine. Go figure! I absolutely loved these speakers. I really (REALLY) hope that the new DC-X's are in the same (or at least a similar) league, otherwise my wallet will really be hurting!

If anyone (in Aus) is looking, Gen 3 DC series speakers are currently 30% off -that makes a pair of fully assembled, factory tested, wood veneered DC-X G3s less than $1500AU) They have 3 pairs left. Note: I am in no way affiliated with VAF.

-Ben

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Oct 2003

Taito,

I was in Adelaide a few weeks ago so I dropped in and spent the afternoon at VAF.

Bottom line:
                                          The Gen IV DC-Xs are way better than the previous versions - chalk and cheese - making the 30% off for the older ones not such a bargain... I was very impressed with the Gen IVs and they have a matching Gen IV centre as well

Then I heard the I-66s - they are way better again in terms of musicallity and transparency (at twice the price) - so It really depends on your wallet!!

Geoff

Comment

• hired goon
                                            • Aug 2004

G'day,

Then I heard the I-66s - they are way better again in terms of musicallity and transparency (at twice the price) - so It really depends on your wallet!!
                                            I quite like the I-66. If I was to go with VAF I'd choose either the I-66 or the DC-X IV. I'm not as impressed with the flagship model I-93, however.

I can also recommend a listen to the Equinox Audio range of speakers. I had a pair of Solstice bookshelf speakers for a week. Equinox claimed they were up there with the B&W 805, but I also had a pair of B&W 805 on loan at the same time, and found that the Solstice was sorta inbetween the B&W 705 and 805. Not a bad spot to be for a $1500 speaker.

-- Geoff

Comment

• Taito
                                              • Sep 2004

Cheers Geoff (and Geoff), my problem with Equinox Audio, is that they don't seem to have an outlet in South Australia, and I wont buy a pair of speakers without having heard them with my equipment. I have had a look at their website, and it does look like they produce really good speakers.

I'll let you know how the audition on tuesday goes.

-Ben

Comment

• JDH
                                                • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Taito
                                                Cheers Geoff, the 5.5's are on my shortlist, along with the VAF DC-X's (Gen 4), the Krix (probably) Symphonix and the KEF Q7's. I'm sure there is also something from Paradigm that I should be listening to.

I doubt the 1080 will have any problems driving anything in my price range, so all suggestions are welcome. If you (any of you) have had a good experience matching speakers in this price range (AU$2000 to $3000) to your Rotel gear, please let me know. I should be able to afford speakers by the end of the year, so I have plenty of time for research.

Thanks, Ben
                                                Ben,

You could probably add Paradigm Studio 60s ($2500 AUS) and Studio 100s ($3500) to your list, I am at the same point, I own a RB-1080 and am thinking of upgrading my main speakers and matching full range centre. You could also listern to Whatmough P32s retail is $3499 AUS.

Regards,

John.
                                                Bits of HT & 2ch Stuff: Rotel, Pro-ject, Oppo, Bel Canto, Elektra Audio, Benchmark, Panasonic, DSPeaker, Epson, Slim Devices, Belkin, Philips Pronto, Harmony, URC, Sennheisser, AKG, HTPC under development, KEF, Whatmough, Definitive Technology & Pardigm Signiture speakers

Comment

• hired goon
                                                  • Aug 2004

G'day,

Originally posted by Taito
                                                  ... my problem with Equinox Audio, is that they don't seem to have an outlet in South Australia, and I wont buy a pair of speakers without having heard them with my equipment. I have had a look at their website, and it does look like they produce really good speakers.
                                                  It's a pity that there's no South Australia rep for Equinox. The Qld rep was just at my house dropping off a pair of Aphelions for a week's demo.

Then again, there's no way to hear the VAF I-66 or I-93 outside of South Australia (unless you already know someone who owns a pair). I've heard the I-66 once, and I'd really like to demo it again using my Rotel gear, but it ain't gunna happen. So I'd be very interested if you could report on the I-66/Rotel combo at your VAF demo.

-- Geoff

Comment

• Taito
                                                    • Sep 2004

Hi,
                                                    Location, Location eh? I guess I can't win 'em all. I'll post a report on the Rotel/DC-X and the Rotel/I-66 combo.

Looking forward to that demo is a nice procrastination aid - I finish uni exams (for the year, not degree - elec. eng.) Tues morning.

-Ben

Comment

Working...
                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                    Search Result for "|||"