X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kkelley
    • Sep 2004

upgrading to 6.1 question

Hi all,

I've been watching this forum for over a year now but just now needed to make a post. Thanks to Andrew and all the others for your very insighful input.

Thanks to this group, I am the proud owner of a 1066/1075 combo and am VERY happy...

Anyways, I have upgraded my center channel to a PSB Stratus C6i. I am planning on using my old PSB Century 200ci as a rear center thus upgrading to 6.1!

I have an opportunity to purchase an RB850 cheap. When bridged, this is supposed to put out 150W. Is this amp up to par with the RMB 1075?

If I were to buy it, should I bridge it and use it to drive my power hungry main Center or would it be better suited for the lesser rear center?

Thanks in advance!
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Welcome to the forum

I wouldn't bridge it. Bridging introduces extra noise and messes with impedence. Does your new speaker allow for bi-wiring/bi-amping?

Jason
    Jason

Comment

• kkelley
      • Sep 2004

Thanks for the quick response aud19.

Unfortunately, the new speaker does not allow for bi-amping. So i guess the RB850 really isn't a step in the right direction.

I know the traditional upgrade path is to add an RB 1080 for the L/Rs but i'm in a position that I think I need more power for the center eventually. Plus, I can't spend that much right now so I am looking for a cheap temporary solution.

Does Rotel make a mono amp? Should I just find another 2ch amp that is roughly 120 w x2 with any of the major manfactures and use one of those channels to drive the Center back?

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Perhaps you can find a used 1080 or similar? I know there was one for sale not long ago in the pawn shop section. That would allow you to use your 1075 for surround/centre duty and with it only having to power 4 channels, three of which are less power hungry surrounds, should lend lot's of reserve power for your centre. Why so concerned about sending so much power to your centre anyways? The 1075 will power all but the more power hungry speakers, at the least aqequately and in most cases, quite well.

Jason
        Jason

Comment

• kkelley
          • Sep 2004

I didn't know that more power would be directed the other channels if the 5th channel isn't being used. That's good news.

The power question is a long one. If you are interested, here is my post at another forum

I am now thinking that I should hold off untill I can afford a good 2 ch. amp to complement my system.

Thanks a ton!

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

Well it's not so much that more power will be directed just that there's less other sources requiring it. Try to think of it this way:

You have a large barrel of water with 5 taps with 5 buckets under each tap. Now if you only have 4 of the 5 taps open and three of those are only open say half way that leaves more water for the one tap that's fully open. The tap will only allow as much water through as it normally would but it will strain the water source less with the other taps not using as much water. Should equall more overall water to the bucket or the ability to maintain that flow for a longer period without petering out

Jason
            Jason

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"