X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • paolo137
    • Apr 2011

To Bridge or Not to Bridge...

Hello everybody,
    I'd like to know your mind about the setting of my new videoprojector room, currently a work-in-progress.
    I already have the following:

- receiver: Cambridge Audio 540
    - power amplifier: Rotel rb 965 (3/4/5/6 channels)
    - front speakers: RCF Aithra 5 (massive vintage Italian speakers: 3 ways, 4 drivers, 8 Ohms, suggested power unknown, estimatated 150 w; sensitivity unknown, estimated above 90 dB)
    - subwoofer: self made with Ciare PW 391 driver, a bass reflex washing machine with 700 w rms, sensitivity 93 dB, 8 ohms

(when done, it will be a 6.1 system; center and surround speakers still missing)

Now, I understand that the best thing will be to try the different settings and choose the best one based on the response of the room and the equipment, but, based on your experience, what would you do?:

1) bridge the 6 channels of the Rotel into 3 (150 watts each) and feed the 2 fronts and sub (receiver will drive everything else)
    2) bridge 2 channels into 1 for the sub, and biamp the front speakers with the remaining 4 channels, rated at 60 w each
    3) be gentle with the power amp and avoid bridging: 60 "rotel" watts will be enough to drive the speakers up to a reasonable volume

Please notice that I'm not a huge fan of very loud music/effects (the subwoofer was listed on the bay at a ridiculous price, otherwise I would have gone for a 100 w. unit, self-amplified), Furthermore, when listening to music, I will use only the two front speakers (true stereo). The room is roughly 180 sq. ft.

Thank you very much for your advice.
  • Nuthed
    • Jan 2007

Anytime you bridge the sound gets a little gritty, in my opinion. Not bad, but not as pure as unbridged.

With that being said, why not give the 540 a try on it's own? It's supposed to be a decent performer and at 80 wpc it should suffice. You get 100 wpc when just driving the 2 mains.
    Main System

RSX-972 driving center and surrounds
    RB980-BX driving mains
    Paradigm Monitor 9s V5
    Paradigm Monitor C-390 V5
    Paradigm Monitor Atoms V5
    SVS PB-12

Comment

• stuofsci02
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2009

When you bridge you also need to treat it like your speakers are 1/2 the resistance... So 8 ohm speakers look like they are 4 ohms to a bridged amp. This can cause fits for the amp if the speakers have low impedances across their frequency..
      Main System:
      B&W 801D
      Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
      Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
      Oppo BDP-105
      Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
      B&W CM7
      Emotiva UMC-1
      Emotiva UPA-2
      Oppo BDP-83SE
      Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• paolo137
        • Apr 2011

Thank you, guys: you have confirmed my concerns. Had not thought about amping the two fronts with the Cambridge audio, though. Might very well worth giving it a try. Could use the Rotel to power all the rest.
        Will let you know!

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"