Can I match a DIY center to PSB Synchrony 2 floorstanders?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kjgarrison
    • Mar 2008

Can I match a DIY center to PSB Synchrony 2 floorstanders?

Hi everybody. I'm working on an IB project over at the cult. It is going to be a "box in a box", with the whole thing built inside of an entertainment center.

One part of the build includes a place for a center speaker. This is below the TV and above the IB sub. The space is approximately 33" wide, 26" deep, and 9" high, but the height can be adjusted some and still have the IB work out.

My R&L are Synchrony 2s. The center (Synchrony 2C) costs ~1300. If a DIY center can be built in, or just built to be placed in the opening, now is the time to figure out the dimensions so the IB and the center work out.

Is enough known about the drivers and crossover to get an acceptable timbre match? Or should I just bite the bullet and get a 2C?

Thanks for any help.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

We don't have any designs that use fiberglass cone mids. That said I wouldn't worry about having a 'perfect' match with regard to the driver materials.

Consider either Jon's Modula MTM

Chris D's smaller MTM

Or if you're feeling flush the NeoDcc...

The NeoDcc won't be the best 'timbre' match for your existing speakers, but it's such a neutral speaker I doubt that will be a problem.

The purists will no doubt object to this idea, but I find once one gets 'into the movie', the brain tends to ignore timbre mismatches.

Regarding the PSB Synchrony Two C, I doubt that it's designed with modified BSC (baffle step compensation) to customize it for in-wall (aka in ET center) mounting. So it might be more of a compromise than having somewhat mismatched drivers.
    Last edited by theSven; 17 August 2023, 20:34 Thursday. Reason: Update htguide urls

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• kjgarrison
      • Mar 2008

Originally posted by ThomasW
      We don't have any designs that use fiberglass cone mids. That said I wouldn't worry about having a 'perfect' match with regard to the driver materials.

Consider either Jon's Modula MTM

Chris D's smaller MTM

Or if you're feeling flush the NeoDcc...

The NeoDcc won't be the best 'timbre' match for your existing speakers, but it's such a neutral speaker I doubt that will be a problem.

The purists will no doubt object to this idea, but I find once one gets 'into the movie', the brain tends to ignore timbre mismatches.

Regarding the PSB Synchrony Two C, I doubt that it's designed with modified BSC (baffle step compensation) to customize it for in-wall (aka in ET center) mounting. So it might be more of a compromise than having somewhat mismatched drivers.

Thanks Thomas. You're right that the Synchrony Two C does not have BSC adjustment capability. I'll read up on the threads you provided. Sorry I didn't post a link to the Synchronys to make the answers to my query easier.

Here is what I'm trying to duplicate:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Synchrony-TwoC_S.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	948381
      Last edited by theSven; 17 August 2023, 20:37 Thursday. Reason: Update urls and image location

Comment

• ---k---
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2005

If the height is adjustable, then you might want to consider the RS WTMW Center or the Khancenter. Otherwise, I agree with Thomas.

The Khancenter is designed to be placed under a TV and sounds best when placed as such. Its a 3-way with the TM portion vertical, so you should get nice off-axis response.

I agree with Thomas that it won't be perfectly timbre matched, but ah who cares. Becasue of placement, they centers never match well. My guess is that once you hear one of these designs, you'll be thinking about selling your Synchrony 2s and using the money to build a pair of Khanspires and buy a good amp and maybe a new player.

(BTW, I listened to the PSB Synchrony 1s for about 1/2 hour a few weeks back at a local dealer.
        Last edited by theSven; 17 August 2023, 20:38 Thursday. Reason: Update htguide urls
        - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
        CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
        CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"