X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Taco
    • May 2003

Buy across the state line?

Is it possible to buy Rotel across the state line to avoid paying the tax? Do you have to get it shipped across the state line for that to work? OR as a resident of another state can you walk into a store and purchase without paying tax? Of course I'd rather pay tax and deal local if I would have to pay the shipping for out-of-state purchase.

Just wondering.
  • sndtowne
    • Jan 2003

I live in Northeast Texas (about two blocks from Arkansas and a few miles from the Oklahoma state line,) and the law here is (I had my CPA check this out) if any product is (actually) shipped across the Texas state line we do not have to collect Texas sales tax. We have customers from Arkansas and Oklahoma purchase products in our store then have them shipped to them (most of the time only a few miles away).

It's perfectly legal and most states have some form of this law. The product DOES have to be shipped out of state - the customer cannot simpy show I.D. that he/she lives in another state and avoid sales tax.

Also, we do not engage in mailorder. The customer HAS to come into our store and make the purchase before we will ship it to them. Also, we will not ship into another dealer's territory.

Bruce
    Bruce

Comment

• Matt Sprouls
      • Apr 2003

I think most states also have a law that states if you buy a product mail order out of state that you are required to report this in your local state so they can recover the state tax.

I don't know of anyone that has ever done that!
      I see the day coming where they will be able to track this.

For the record I have never bought anything mail order. :roll:
      Regards,
      Matt

Comment

• soopa
        • May 2003

i went to MA from NY to get mine

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"