X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shuang1234
    • Apr 2003

Attack of the Clones

I recently purchased a Rotel RSP-1066/RMB-1095 combination.

I was curious to find out more about Rotel's competitors. e.g. a number of forums talk about how great Sherbourn multichannel amplifiers are. I went to the Sherbourn web site and saw 5 reviews of their 5 channel amplifier models. Saw no reviews on the HT processor.

Then I did a search on http://www.ecoustics.com and found this very interesting review, http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/clone_prepros.php.

What the article says (in addition to asking the question why are the Sherbourn and Atlantic HT processors > $600US more than the Outlaw) is that a number of Rotel's competitors in the HT separates arena really can't afford to do their own product R&D.

I live in Canada and paid the equivalent of $1200US for the RSP-1066. Even the Outlaw at $900US wouldn't have been much of a deal in comparison when shipping and duties to Canada are considered. As well, my Rotel dealer set up an in-depth listening session allowing me to compare my previous system and some other brands in the store.
  • Legairre
    • Jan 2002

The Outlaw/Sherbourn/Atlantic pre amps are all manufactured in Malaysia by Eastern Asia Technology also known as Eastech. I don't know of any other company that offers similar price and features to the 1066 that does their own R&D either.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
    Radden Home Theater
    "What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
    Radden Home Theater

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"